Is static ID essential for hosting

Hi,
    Im planning to host my personal website. Also i am planning to put some google add and other adds to my site and blog.

Is it essential that i should have a static ip in my system.

I am new to this web hosting and web development.

Please help me.
    Thanks,
    krush

Static IP's are not necessary for your personal site. The only reason you would really need to get a static IP is if you wanted an SSL Certificate.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

You can use a dynamic DNS system like dyndns.org. There are many of such services out there. Search for Dynamic DNS. You have to download and configure a Dynamic DNS client on your home machine.

Some services will allow you to redirect to a set homepage if your server is offline, or provide a backup e-mail server to hold your e-mails until your server comes back online to catch the e-mails, heck there are ven many free services out there.

Enjoy finding out which one works best for you ;-)
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

Hi Krush

The quick and fast answer is: no. I am assuming you are hosting at a webhost and not at home. You don't need a dedicated IP to host your website. However if you are thinking of doing so at home, my suggestion is probably not to bother.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Update: I assumed we are talking about setting up a host at home.
    Thanks for sprintserve for bringing this little detail to my attention. I must have overseen it.
    I was about to edit my abive post when it expired within the 15 min time limit.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

I don't know any host not offering a Static IP
    Probably you meant dedicated IP?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Yeah, having a "static" IP is pretty much essential to a website. As Jedito said, you probably mean a dedicated IP, which is only really necessary for SSL certificates (you can only have one valid SSL certificate per dedicated IP address).

A personal website can be hosted on a dynamic IP with the appropriate dynamic dns service. HOWEVER most ISP's have strict rules against using a standard residential connection to host a web/file server.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

There is not need of a Dedicated IP to publish Google Ads on your website. Dedicated IPs for a personal website are only necessary for SSL certs as mentioned above or if you like your website to have its own nameservers.
    Web Hosting by Brontobytes

Quote Originally Posted by sprintserve
    Hi Krush

The quick and fast answer is: no. I am assuming you are hosting at a webhost and not at home. You don't need a dedicated IP to host your website. However if you are thinking of doing so at home, my suggestion is probably not to bother.
    Krush,

SprintServer is nearly 100% correct about hosting at home. W/O going into the +/- of doing it at home, you can find a really reasonable hosting package for a site. Are you looking to learn how to manage/build a web server or are you looking to post a personal site for yourself available to the public?
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by HostRefugee-Vince
    Static IP's are not necessary for your personal site. The only reason you would really need to get a static IP is if you wanted an SSL Certificate.
    See what happens when I am tired

If your thinking of finding a shared host: Dedicated IP's are not necessary for your personal site. The only reason you would really need to get a dedicated IP is if you wanted an SSL Certificate.

If your thinking about hosting your own site from your own net connection, a Static IP would make things much easier. As trau mentioned, many ISP's have policies against running servers on their network.

If you can get around any ISP limitations, make sure you have a sufficient upload speed. For a not so busy personal site with a few small images and mostly text content, you should be fine with a 1 Mbps upload speed.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Hello,

Depends on requirement of your site. if you are planing to sell some products or something through your site then you need dedicated IP for your domain. Also if you need some specific applications running in your site then also you may require a static IP.

All depends on the what your site provides.

Thank you.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    I don't know any host not offering a Static IP
    Probably you meant dedicated IP?
    I thought they were the same. What is the difference?
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"

A dedicated IPs is to a shared IP what a unique phone number is to a unique phone number with many extensions. There are a few security issues, too.
    Gonzalo
    "To venture is to risk one's life; not to venture is to lose one's reason to live"

Quote Originally Posted by freeflyer
    I thought they were the same. What is the difference?
    oops! Sorry! Static versus dynamic and shared versus dedicated
    Gonzalo