View Poll Results: Do you still live at home?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 33.77%
  • No

49 63.64%
  • My folks live with me!

2 2.60%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Living with Mommy & Daddy

Is it a world wide phenomena? More and more people seem to be hanging around the nest for longer periods of time. I have several friends who work full time, don’t pay rent and still eat moms cooking and sleep in their same childhood room...at the age of 27...

I think this is also the problem with Kiddie hosts. If you are 16, living at home, almost no life experience and reliant on mom and dad then you have almost NO RISK with regards to living and if there is no element of risk in a company, then I start to worry.

Does this extend to people living at home at the age of 25+?

I’m not sure, what do you think?

Moving out doesn't always make economic sense. There's nothing wrong with living at home with your parent, in a lot of countries it's not unusual for children to live with their parent until they marry and have a family. Then it's called the parents living with their children.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

I left my parents' house when I was 7. Because I had to, since there was no school near. I went to a boarding school. Since then, i am away.
    Also i agree There's nothing wrong with living at home with your parents, i wish i could,

Glad you arnt my kids

Quote Originally Posted by thehoff
    Glad you arnt my kids
    meeee toooo

You can only blame the parents there I am afraid. If they don't ask for a set amount a week/fortnight/month towards home living expenses, they are just encouraging little Johnny or Jilly to be spongers.

My girls lived at home for a bit after they finished school, but as soon as they started earning money, I charged them a certain amount a week for "board and lodgings". It taught them to budget their money carefully, and it was good training for when they got out in the big bad world.

Moved out at 17.
    Five thousand miles away. Canada's a cold place!

Haven't looked back since but I'll admit I spent a bit of some extra time back at the coop recently because their sailboat is oh so delightful.

It's also beyond rewarding to finally have the parents borrow money off of you for a change. (Although I never did accept handouts from them beyond the regular food, clothing and housing).

I still live at home rent free, but I do intend to move out sometime soon with a woman. If minimum wage wasn't so terrible this wouldn't happen that much.

I'm hoping to get a job at the Miller Lite plan, they pay $15 / hr and that would be good for somebody who is 22, so hopefully my luck will change soon.
    Kerry Jones

Why not give your parents even 10% of your wage? You'll find out when you move out what things cost, or are you hoping to move in with a rich girl so you still don't have to pay your way?

I lived with parents till earlier this year (at 26), but I paid room and board. I now live on a military base on the other side of the country so I'm happy.

I just didn't have the funds to move out any sooner.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Why not give your parents even 10% of your wage? You'll find out when you move out what things cost, or are you hoping to move in with a rich girl so you still don't have to pay your way?
    goin' for this.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    goin' for this.
    What? Giving your parents a bit of help to feed you or moving in with a rich girl?

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    What? Giving your parents a bit of help to feed you or moving in with a rich girl?
    the second one

Rich girl sounds good.

Yep. I should have enough to move out soon.

Just out interest; What does a 1 bedroom pad in the states cost? Can minimum wage cover it? (obviously in a normal-ish area)...

Well,

Moving was a neccessity in earlier eras due to some factors :

- Siblings were expected to create discrete households of families, marry, raise children etc, and in those day's (30-40-50-60-70-80-90s) conditions only way to do it as to move to a new unit of housing, as in those days even for the well-off old, big, 2-3 family holding mansion style houses were in short supply. hence lack of space, hence need to move.

- Jobs were generally found in far locations. hence the need to move.

- Generation gaps. at those times every generation was far different from the predecessors. They couldnt fit together. they preferred to put a distance.

- Boredom. generally tied to generation gap, quite often the opportunities/things to do in local area boread siblings. they moved away.

- Approval. each of those generations also had differences as to what is modern, ethical/unethical, socially acceptable or not. crazy 20s, (compared to post victorian generation), modernizing 30s, leave a gap here for the war, 'flaired' 50s, the glorious generations of 60s (hippies and so on) and the sex thing, extravagant 70s, very, very ,very weird 80s, and 90es generation who was a generation which couldnt put themselves in any place but still were discovering.

Now situation is quite different. You might not agree with some of this, and some of these might be still settling, but well, here is how it is :

- Latest generations, being generally the siblings of 60s or later generations, are not expected to stick to a "we made you, youre gonna make babies and a new family" kind of understanding and tradition. also many of their parents do not really care if they have a grandson or not, some even doesnt care about the stuff of their siblings even. as people do not create new family cores, the need to move decreases.

- Jobs. ehhh. you all know it. telecommuting is almost becoming a normal feature of business, as its proper rules and codes of conduct settles all over the world. actually due to the technological developments in the last 30-40 years, people were feeling the need to move to open up businesses/get a job less and less because of telex, fax, telecommunication etc. internet has put the flag on the hill. now you can sit on top of a cushion in a monastery at tibet and do various kinds of work for an employer in ottawa.

- Generation gaps. with the advent of technology, and increasing liberal thinking of the generations, gaps lessened. in latest generations sometimes you cant tell the sibling from the parent, both physically and behaviorally. a good thing, and something that further decreases the urge to move.

- Boredom. WHAT boredom ? leave aside media and stuff, with internet, in your own home it is almost impossible to get bored - sometimes you need to turn off the instant messengers to feel alone. also, newer generations want more complicated entertainment - a game of snooker does not satisfy them. hence, as you can have all sorts of crazy gadgets offering a multidude of entertainment options, and with other people too, the need to move decreases as you dont find something you cant find in your own home somewhere else.

- Approval. well, we have come to a liberal point that, the views of latest generation parents and siblings almost fit each other. No need to get away from your parents to do anything, because you almost see the world from the same perspective.

These are my view on why people are moving around less and less. I see those as good things, actually.

I moved out at 17 to study in singapore. No regrets. Living independently and making friends is really a unique experience.

It's a worry, in the vast majority of instances, when you see these folks still living at home, and haven't flown the nest. In some instances it makes sense, but in the vast majority of cases it just highlights a deficiency in personal development and highlighting their inability to survive out in the real world, away from Mommy and Daddy's roof.

Jan, couldn't agree more. I was paying $20/week board when I was 16, working as a 1st yr apprectice carpenter. I got $125.00/week, and $20.00 went to board, $5.00 I kept and I banked the other $100.00. By the time I was 17, I had saved up $4,500.00 for my first car, a red Datsun 200b, with racing stripes and an awesome stereo system. I thought I was sooooooo cool.

I left home when I was 21, and moved into my own home I bought a year earlier. I had tenants in there, and they moved out so I could move in. Got married 3 years later and we started our family in that home.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Several industry friends (and regulars on WHT)live at home still, all in their mid-late twenties. I won't name them but rest assured, I do poke fun at them

I moved into my own place at 19, 21 now and still in the same place. Rent is ~$1600/mo but worth it.... you can't have a bachelor pad if you live with parents.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

It is going to vary a lot around the world. I know certainly in the UK people are now living with their parents for much longer, and this is 100% down to house prices. One of my friends has just got married and bought a 2 bedroom terraced house, it's tiny and cost £210,000 ($413,000).

It is practically impossible for anyone in their 20s or maybe even 30s to afford a mortgage on a house like this let alone a proper family home. Basically you need to get married and combine incomes to have any chance of getting a house here, and even then it will be a struggle for the majority of people.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    By the time I was 17, I had saved up $4,500.00 for my first car, a red Datsun 200b, with racing stripes and an awesome stereo system. I thought I was sooooooo cool.
    You should get yourself a 350Z then apply said modifications... help keep you young Bob
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Indeed, house prices are silly compared the the average wage.

In my country you are dependent only if you are married
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

At 19 I still live at home, although recently I have been considering moving out. Once I do move, it will be a big move, one that involves moving across the pond to the US or Canada. New York has been a serious consideration for me recently.

I spend a lot of time away compared to most my age, and that has always been the case. Having been involved with Scouting for the last 13 years I've spent my fair share of time away from home and family. At 17 I jumped on a plane by myself to fly to Toronto, the other side of the Atlantic, to enjoy a BBQ with Vito and other friends.

Admittedly, I don't pay a set fee each week for the privilege of living at home. My brother did, but he was in a stable, 9-5 job from the age of 16. I've been let off, and by God do I know it! However, I do pay my father when I have the money. I will, and have done on several occasions, throw him a couple hundred pound in one go to pay him to keep a roof over my head rather than using that on something a lot more interesting. He knows I'll pay him what I can. What he doesn't know is that when the lack of funds I'm paying him now pays off in the form of a solid income for me, he'll get it all paid back to him in the best vacation he has ever had, that sticks with him longer than any weekly payment could.

I know I'm lucky. However, I know I will eventually pay what I owe and I know I have the head on my shoulders to allow me to move out, rather than taking advantage of that lucky position.
    Last edited by Jamie Harrop; 12-13-2006 at 08:10 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast