Exceeding server resources problem

Hello,

I have recently had one of my sites taken offline by my host due to it exceeding server resources(CPU/RAM). When I was choosing hosts(resellerzoom), I only paid attention to server space and bandwidth allocations. Now it looks like I need to find a new server plan. I need some help choosing between dedicated/shared/reseller/semi-dedicated/vps plans. Here is some information about my site.

About my site:
    2000 uniques/day : However there could be days with 5000 uniques
    20000 pages/day : However there could be days with 50000 pageviews
    1gb/day bandwidth
    100 mb server space
    Php pages including a picture gallery powered by Menalto
    PHP forum with little traffic that is powered by phpBB.

Budget:
    $50-75/month

If there is anything else I need to include, please let me know. I appreciate any and all help!

I am sorry you are having resource issues with you current host, I woud suggest the following.

With the above requirements a resellers account isn't going to do you much good. I would suggest that you look into getting a nice VPS or a dedicated server. However, with your budget you will most likly have to go with a VPS, as dedicated servers cost a little more than that.

Lane

I belive a dedicated from LayeredTech fits in your burget range.
    The only bad thing i found about them is thier support.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

Nothing really bad about their support other than sometimes it can take an hour or two to reboot your server on the bad days...but why should you ever have to do a hard reboot anyway ?

I would probably suggest a VPS, though maybe a shared provider could provide what you need (of course for an increased price due to your requirements). Really depends on the resources used, bandwidth and space isn't usually an issue.

Good luck in your search. This sort of goes as a warning to those of you who have large sites, talk to the provider first to make sure they aren't going to shut you down for over-usage and you should be alright.
    PDC Lan Webhosting
    Linux Shared and Reseller Plans at discount prices!

I do not know how to manager a server, so if I did a dedicated server, it would need to be managed.

Just out of interest did resellerzoom just close the account without any warnings ?
    I dont really want to believe that. I would have thought that they at least send out a warning once and try to sort out the real issue.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by valentin_nils
    Just out of interest did resellerzoom just close the account without any warnings ?
    I dont really want to believe that. I would have thought that they at least send out a warning once and try to sort out the real issue.
    You are correct, RS didn't close the account. They just put up an exceeded resources page and sent me an email.

They were actualy very helpful in the entire process, I just would like to move my account so that I am not put in the position of having it shut down again. The site makes about $20/day, so the whole process cost me about $100 for various reasons even though the site was down for only about 1 day.

Normally, the site would be fine for a reseller plan. But there are occasional spikes in volume and I expect that there could be again, so I want to fix this soon.

I appreciate everyone's recommendations on an account that could be suitable!

Hi Jeremy,

VPS does sound like a terrific viable option, it should give you some room to expand and it gives you up to half of the servers resouces.. the only problem is that you never know how soon you will outgrow your plan and have to make a painful transfer again.

Possibly you could speculate to accumulate and go for a Dedicated server, which is outwith your needs for the moment, but gives you much more time to grow into.

Whatever you choose to do.. Good luck!!
    IT Support - Business Hosting & VOIP Solutions Scotland

When I started reading this thread I thought, just because he has a site doesn't mean he knows how to manage a dedicated/virtual server. In this situation, you either need a meaty reseller account or a fully managed solution. Fully managed will cost a lot more than your budget. I would highly recommend stormhosts.net for a reseller account. One of their packages that fits your budget would give you all you need. Even roughly 2GB bandwidth per day.
    Matt Midgley
    ----------------
    http://matt.midgley.name

This sort of goes as a warning to those of you who have large sites, talk to the provider first to make sure they aren't going to shut you down for over-usage and you should be alright.
    There's no such guarantee in a shared hosting environment. Once the site affects the quality of service for the other websites on the server, something has to be done about it, preferably instantly. That's why suspension is the main option.

A VPS will give you a very good amount of protection against "resources abuse" suspensions, and your budget can cover a fully managed one. It won't protect you against your own usage though. The VPS might become sluggish or even crash if give it too much to work.

absolutely right themidge, something that was overlooked
    IT Support - Business Hosting & VOIP Solutions Scotland

Alright. It seems that most people are saying that I should use a VPS. I'd definitely agree that it must be fully managed since I don't know how to manage a server and don't want to learn how.

So can anyone offer some suggestions for a VPS plan based upon the criteria and budget I mentioned at the beginning of this thread?

The "Find A Host" drop-down at the top of the forum pages is a great resource to get VPS quotes.
    Rock solid hosting and dedicated servers since 1998!
    StabilityHosting Where stability and uptime are king!

You could get a cheap dedicated, but if you decide to raise your budget I would suggest liquidweb, I have had a virtually perfect time with them.

You could also go with shared hosting, if you find the right deal. I guess it depends on the server you end up on with the shared plan and how good of a CPU it has.
    Zero Unit Hosting - 24/7 support, PHP, MySQL, site builder, script library
    Web Host Friend Online Hosting Directory - Submit Your Site!

About my site:
    2000 uniques/day : However there could be days with 5000 uniques
    20000 pages/day : However there could be days with 50000 pageviews
    1gb/day bandwidth
    100 mb server space
    Php pages including a picture gallery powered by Menalto
    PHP forum with little traffic that is powered by phpBB.

Budget:
    $50-75/month
    You are fine in a shared environment with that budget.

There's no such guarantee in a shared hosting environment. Once the site affects the quality of service for the other websites on the server, something has to be done about it, preferably instantly. That's why suspension is the main option.
    Completely agree with you Dan - however, in the right shared hosting environment, something like this would not happen until the users site has outgrown the resource allocation of the plan. This "server resource" limitation really only applies with poorly written/compromised scripts or in oversold environments.

The poster here is the exception to the typical WHT poster, where they have a decent budget allocated towards hosting - as such, they can easily find a quality shared environment that will accomodate them without needing to worry about a VDC or Dedicated server, nor the primary and secondary costs that come along with those solutions.