CT, USA

Question Clients Involved in Your Community...

Hello WHT,

I am not sure if this is in the correct forum, but this has more so to do with the business side of hosting. A good amount of you are web hosts and as such, I am hoping you can shed some light on this situation.

We have a community forums, however none of our customers really take advantage of it, it just sits there and well, collects dust most of the time. I have made various posts to keep customers informed in case they do not receive the emails promptly.

Did customers just eventually start utilizing the forums after a while or did you use any particular tactics to get them involved? I am just curious, I hope my customers will be able to post more and more eventually, .

Thanks for all the feedback,
    SwiftModders - Professional Web Design Services & WHMCS Themes
    Web Designs catered to web hosting and software providers!
    Check out the top-rated WHMCS Admin Panel Theme by SwiftModders

Amidst several dimensions
    Well, actually yould be surprised.

Posters in any given forum are generally at most 10% of the total registrants, and even those combined are way less than people who come read the forums without even registering and go.

I have been running a few community forums, one is a high profile general public appeal one (humor), and even in such an easy go environment this is the case.

In more serious places, which require even the littlest of knowledge/expertise or flair or charisma, you will see less of these rates.

And for web hosting its a little bit more complicated - most clients have not ever thought about being a part of community or not - they just want to host their site just like they get stuff from the grocery - reliable, no-fuss, fire and forget style. Hence your community forums will be that way for a very long time until you get enough clients to be able to get a 5-10 percent poster rate.

Ontario, Canada
    If you really want your users to post & be active, you have to give them a good reason. Otherwise why would they? They can just read the forums & pess the little X in the right hand top corner of the screen.

Give them a reason, they will post. Since March I've managed to accumulate 750+ users using this tactic. - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

what tactic are you talking about?

West Michigan, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by jiarby
    what tactic are you talking about?
    The tactic of giving them a reason to want to participate. Anyone can put up a message board on their website, but people aren't going to just start posting on it. It has to be interesting and they need to get something out of it.

||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs! - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Aussie Bob could give your more details here... He was the owner of, the most important hosting (actually reseller) customer community.
    Founder of B2B Network and Singles & Dating
    >> Business Blog
    >> Business Links Directory