SoftLayer does it again...

From time to time, I have posted a review here on the level of service from SoftLayer. I'm not going to post yet another extensive positive review of them....instead, how many of you have seen their new mini portal?

I'm curious to hear feedback from those of you who have used it. Personally I have been playing with it for a few days now and it is awesome. Submit and update tickets from your PDA. Check bandwidth usage of your servers as well as reboots via IPMI.

GlobalCrossing should be put in the next couple days and from my discussions with them, remote reboot strips to go along with IPMI reboots. I'm sure the remote reboot strips will be integrated into the mini portal as well.

The development on their portal keeps getting better. Keep up the good work Dorian and the dev staff.
    http://www.futurehosting.com
    Managed, Unmanaged VPS, Dedicated Servers, CDN
    Available locations: Australia, Amsterdam, Detroit, London, Santa Clara, Miami

Haven't seen the mini portal yet. I should check it out.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Is softlayer a fully managed provider?
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertivo
    No that is why the provide you with IPMI, sounds like soon to be remote reboots(sometimes IPMI can't reboot when a HARD lock).

They provide you with the tools to be self managed in a reliable manner.

I need to check out the mini portal
    We have an offsite server there and it has worked pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertivo
    Monique, they are not fully managed.

Just for your information they finished adding GlobalXing last night and traffic is starting to be routed by it. The mini portal is very nice and useful. As for the remote reboot strips that will be done mid Jan I was told, when all servers have had the strips added and they will have coded it into the panel.
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

Now Offering Windows Serivces.

There new mini portal rocks. I just used it on my Treo 700w and its very nice. Simple and quick. You can open/check/close support tickets, check bandwidth, and reboot any server from the portal! Very Slick!

I believe server management can be had for $3 per incident so I wouldn't call them "unmanaged"

Is it really only 3$ per incident?

The $3 tickets are for very specific work that they will cover.

I contacted them about it and it seems they do most anything for 3$. Thats it, I'm sold. When I get a new larger server I am going with softlayer. Done.

I only have to say that they&#180;re allways bringing some new utiliy, have you check the nessus scanner inside softlayer control panel ?

I think is a great provider, I only really hope that don&#180;t grow up too much
    and start having a bad support, I have a server with them and has been great,
    also I purchase the "Business Continuance Insurance" $5/mo so if you get attacked by DDOS or another threat and your bandwith go over your quota you wont pay anything...

I think that&#180;s really a good way to take care customers...

Yep, and I bet it makes them a good amount of bank too . I think SL is probably one of the more honest companies in the industry as of the moment, however that might be just how I perceive them.

It's good their offering to setup nessus scanner that should help some of the less diligent hosts get ahead on their security issues.

Nice edit . And yea I agree. I have to see this interface of theirs that I hear is awesome..

I've been very happy with Softlayer overall.

Very nice portals!

SoftLayer is the best company I've dealt with and to me is the most advanced and innovated company in the world. I don't think anyone will match what their services for some time.
    Last edited by GLucas; 12-15-2006 at 12:45 AM.
    Optimidia - Affordable and reliable web hosting.

Infomart is the datacenter...SoftLayer is the company.

But I agree with you, SL is very innovative and reliable provider.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    Infomart is the datacenter...SoftLayer is the company.

But I agree with you, SL is very innovative and reliable provider.
    My apologize, I'm a bit lost today. I did mean company.
    Optimidia - Affordable and reliable web hosting.