* Anybody converted from savvis to databank (layeredtech) ?

My server is currently at the savvis datacenter, on a rack owned by layeredtech. I'm considering moving from there, to layeredtech's space at databank, because only servers at databank can have a gigabit port.

It'll cost me $50 once to move, and an additional $10 per month to upgrade from 100mbps to 1000mbps, but I'm curious if i'll actually be able to use those 1000 megabits, and if the routing will be any better or worse. I checked out layeredtech's speedtest, and there isn't much of a difference.

Also, an ip address change around will be required, so there would be a little bit of downtime while things are reconfigured, with dns and system services. I'm not sure if it would really be beneficial.

what on earth do you need a gigabit port on a single box for?

At certain times, i have actually capped out the whole 100mbps port.

well, softlayer offers a gigabit port, and although they may target different markets, lt made a good move

(i didn't know you could actually use 1000mbit.. i thought it was just for bursting to 200-300mbit or so =/)

I know that if you plan to run on a gigabite port and your capping out your 100MB port you have got to have one hell of a bandwidth bill.

As for actually be able to use the full gigabite port, that would most likly be very possible, but it probably wont be possible except between datacenters.

I would very highly suggest that you just have a second network port added to your server, allowing to burst above the 100MB during those rare times.

I know that I would never put a gigabite port on a server box, if it came to a time where I needed that I would be getting another server. Cause the bandwidth bill would be herendous, its usually cheaper to have multiple boxes because you get so much bandwidth with each, and would be cheaper than paying the $.50 or more a gig.

Just a suggestion, but I wouldnt do it if I were you.

Lane