SQL error: Got error 28 from storage engine

Hello,

I have been getting this error below on one of my website page and I have been trying to find a way to fix it but with no luck...
    There appears to be an error with the database.
    You can try to refresh the page by clicking here.

SQL error: Got error 28 from storage engine
    SQL error code:
    Date: Tuesday 12th of December 2006 04:55:28 PM
    This just start happening today, everything was working fine before this.

I have been searching for a fix, I've done a search on "SQL error: Got error 28 from storage engine" but I can't find more information about this error, all I found out was this...

Error code 28: No space left on device
    One or more partitions on your server is out of space or doesn't have enough space to complete a disk write.
    I have no idea what that means really but it looks like that it's server related and not a script error on my website.

Has anyone experienced this problem before and/or know how to fix it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by ralphieb; 12-12-2006 at 07:28 PM.

That error means you don't have enough disk space left to write to. Is this a dedicated server? If so, you need to correct the problem. Otherwise contact your host.

Thanks for the reply Dacsoft.

Yes it's a dedicated server.

What do you mean I do not have enough disk space? You're saying the hardrive is full? I dont think that's the case because according to Cpanel I still have 12196.63 MB space available and that's only for this website.

Thanks for the help so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphieb
    Thanks for the reply Dacsoft.

Yes it's a dedicated server.

What do you mean I do not have enough disk space? You're saying the hardrive is full? I dont think that's the case because according to Cpanel I still have 12196.63 MB space available and that's only for this website.

Thanks for the help so far.
    You can have space available on the server, and even space available for the site. But the database also needs space. If this is a cpanel, I believe the mysql databases are in /var/lib/mysql You might want to check and make sure that directory has space available.

You might want to check your /var/log folder and make sure that there is enough space available there just in case it is the logging that is having problems.

You could also have a problem with permissions so that the database can't write to the directories.

Thanks again Dacsoft.

Im not very knowledgeable at this, can you tell me how to check if there is not enough space on those folders and if there is in fact not enough space what should I do?

I am using Cpanel if that helps...

I sent an email to my host, hopefully then can help me out as well but I doubt they will reply at this time so I might have to wait until tommorow.

Sorry, I can only give some general suggestions. Maybe some of the other experts here can help. Here are some things I would check:

- In WHM go to the Server Status -> Server Information. There is a section for Current Disk Usage. Check this to see if it gives you a clue. Also under the System Health section look at the Show Current Disk Usage. Are any showing full?

- Check your tmp folder and make sure it isn't full. I would probably check this first.

- Check your /var/log and see if it is getting full.

- It is possible that you have a corrupted table table. You can try to fix it with myisamchk command (or in WHM). [edited]
    Last edited by Dacsoft; 12-12-2006 at 09:53 PM.

No problem Dacsoft, thanks for your help, really appreciate it

You know what though I just went to tmp folder and there is a lot and I mean a lot of this type of files inside the tmp folder...

cache_7c35b7f04bbd51c271cdb059d363024e.ser
    sess_fc0842970b575eef8708ef44b7821c1e

Here's what it says from "Current Disk Usage"

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda3 108G 17G 87G 17% /
    /dev/sda1 99M 22M 73M 24% /boot
    none 1014M 0 1014M 0% /dev/shm
    /usr/tmpDSK 485M 459M 432K 100% /tmp
    /tmp 485M 459M 432K 100% /var/tmp

Ok, it looks like /tmp and /var/tmp are full and this might be causing this error. It's the session and caching system I used on my website that's filling up the tmp folder.

Does anyone know how to remove them automatically or free up the space?
    Last edited by ralphieb; 12-12-2006 at 10:01 PM.

You "could" login on a console and do this

# cd /tmp
    # rm *
    # cd /var/tmp
    # rm *

I say "could" because if you mistake the CD command this could have disastrous consequences.

Basically you dont want ANY partition to be even close to 100%.
    Right now its a question of time until the server might come down. As long as you have enough memory that might buy you some time, but to be save than sorry you might want to get this done ASAP.

For me seems like the partition layout seem skewed, but I cant say for sure without knowing what the server is actually being used as.

Also it sounds like you are not yet so technical advanced.
    I would perhaps even advice you to ask a friend who is good at this, helping you out looking into it, or ask a company doing server administration. If you look at WHT for "seek admin" or "server management" you might find some companies.

You might find my site useful with error codes from a MySQL platform on a Linux system.
    To avoid getting abusive WHT points for "advertising" I do not post the link, but disguise it so that you should be able to know where to find the required info. ;-)

h**p://www.be-known-online.com/mysql/mysql-error-codes.html

Good luck !!
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 12-12-2006 at 11:02 PM.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

I wouldn't use the rm * command. It could delete the link to mysql.sock and kill your mysql. Instead I would do something like:
    cd /tmp
    rm sess_* which will remove all the files starting with sess_

You could do the same for other types of temporary files in the folder.

Dacsoft raised a valid concern here.

So how about as a temporary fix you could move the /tmp and /var/tmp folder somewhere under / . Then you unmount those partitions for /tmp and /var/tmp and if you can recreate them bigger (how much will depend on your needs).

Then you move the stuff back to the "original" folder in its places.
    Mount it again.

You might need to stop/start/restart some services while you are doing this so better do it when the server is not to busy.
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 12-13-2006 at 12:21 AM.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---

Perhaps the info from http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=292032 might apply to your environment ?
    __--- Nils Valentin ---