I want a webshost that does NOT offer reseller packages.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

But when I go to a webhost's website and see things like "unlimited domains for $9!", it's a turnoff. I mean, it's one thing for a webhost to sell 1000 or however many accounts on a server. But if each of those accounts can then turn around and sell another 1000 accounts?! Hello slow, crashing, clogged server.

Unfortunately it seems like most webhosts DO offer reseller accounts.

Also, I don't understand what the upside is for the webhost. Sure more people will buy accounts because they want to be a reseller. But also, there go the resources, and the chance to run a tight ship.

Why not just sell single, one domain accounts? For website owners who want hosting for one important (to them) site. Those focused website owners will also be more likely to write good code, which makes for a happier server.

I would like to hear other opinions on this. Also, anyone know a webhost who doesn't offer reseller? Thank you.
    Last edited by hilly; 12-12-2006 at 07:00 PM.

Yes, single domain accounts are still offered.

Alot of hosts thrive though on selling the multiple domain accounts (several add on domains for one price)
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

If you find a host that does not offer reseller accounts, then there is a very high chance that the host is actually reseller itself. I'm guessing thats not quite what your aiming for

There's a difference between offering several domains on one account and offering a reseller account.

Also, the actual space and b/w are always limited - OK, there are hosts that offer "unmetered" b/w but read the fine print....
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

How would the reseller packages affect you? Most companies (should) have sepparate servers for shared and reseller accounts. You should only look for a company which doesn't offer unlimited add-on domains and doesn't oversell.
    MaxterHostsimply different.
    cPanel Shared Hosting, WHM Reseller Accounts, Xen VPS Hosting & more
    10+ Years of Experience | Enhanced Security | 24x7 Support | 99.99% Uptime
    NEW:
    Pure SSD Hosting and CloudFlare Railgun™

Quote Originally Posted by shockuk
    If you find a host that does not offer reseller accounts, then there is a very high chance that the host is actually reseller itself. I'm guessing thats not quite what your aiming for
    Not necessarily... some hosts just don't want to get involved with them things or don't have control panels they feel meet the expectations for reseller hosting (ie: Plesk).

Let's think a bit more before posting.

Steve, try reading my post again: I stated very high chance - and I stand by my statement.

Hi Hilly,

you obviouslly just out of a bad hosting experience, i can understand what your saying, reseller hosts offering unlimited domain hosting may seem to be the "second tier" of unlimited shared hosts but it is far from being that in any respect. The Unlimited domain aspect is put under a resource allocation such as bandwidth and disk space... and if it was possible, we would throw in CPU usage as well... but the machines usually used are VERY high spec... dual core xeons (etc, etc... blah, blah)

Your observation is basically the same as VPS's which are basically servers split in 2 (or 4?) to make it seem like they have a "semi-dedicated server".... you share YOUR half of the server with mr god-knows-who next door, who could be peddaling his $1 wares.

Trust me...stick with a shared host if you need a one domain account... 1and1, voxtreme

Good luck.
    IT Support - Business Hosting & VOIP Solutions Scotland

Just because a host offers reseller services, does not make them a bad host. Furthermore, it does not implement that the provider is out of resources or focuses on one customer than the other. Sure you will have your bad apples, but a solid provider can offer many services and stay stable and reliable for all their customers no matter what service they purchase.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by hilly
    Maybe I'm missing something here.

But when I go to a webhost's website and see things like "unlimited domains for $9!", it's a turnoff. I mean, it's one thing for a webhost to sell 1000 or however many accounts on a server. But if each of those accounts can then turn around and sell another 1000 accounts?! Hello slow, crashing, clogged server.

Actually no, your not missing anything unfortunately. The industry currently seems to be in a price war and your example explains this. Its called "price competition"
    You're actually right on target with your assumptions. Its nice to see a refreshing, common sense change like that
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Quote Originally Posted by shockuk
    Steve, try reading my post again: I stated very high chance - and I stand by my statement.
    Do you have any statistical proof to back up these accusations towards webhosts?

Steve is right in many ways, and web hosts shouldn't be required to host every aspect in order for someone not to think they're just a reseller.

But please do provide statistical proof that web hosts are very high in chance a reseller.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

hilly,

One thing to keep in mind, many many webhosts have several servers. As such alot of providers can put you on a light loaded server and/or on a non-reseller server where reseller accounts aren't provisioned. When in doubt I'd suggest just asking a provider (that you're interested in) if they can do so for you (remember it never hurts to ask a pre-sales question to any host).
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz_
    Do you have any statistical proof to back up these accusations towards webhosts?

Steve is right in many ways, and web hosts shouldn't be required to host every aspect in order for someone not to think they're just a reseller.

But please do provide statistical proof that web hosts are very high in chance a reseller.
    Why have you made the person's comments out to be something bad? Personally I think they worded it perfectly by saying "high chance", they did not say "Anyone not offering reseller accounts is a reseller."

If I said "Play on a busy road and there is a very high chance you will get hurt.", would you ask for statistical data to back that claim up or is it just common sense based on what you know?

I'm pretty surprised that no one even made a recommendation for you.

A company I know, and he has been around over 3 years, is http://www.hostingtruth.net/.

He doesn't offer reseller accounts and Scott (the owner) is a really good guy. He might have what you are looking for.

XSI-Larry,

Just so you know I'm seeing an error in that site's order form. You may want to contact Scott and let him know his order system is broken.
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Hmm, have to drop him an email, it may be done on purpose as I know he was looking at making some changes.

impressive - someone with some common sense

However, just because a host offers reseller packages, it does not mean this is true:

Also, I don't understand what the upside is for the webhost. Sure more people will buy accounts because they want to be a reseller. But also, there go the resources, and the chance to run a tight ship.
    Many providers dont offer unlimited everything reseller accounts and have less accounts/domains per server then shared only hosting providers.

What I am trying to get at is that as a consumer, you are buying into a business model. Which services the provider actually offers is irrelavent (ie shared only or shared and reseller) - what is really relavent to you is how many accounts/domains are on servers and how many relative resources are available to you (as many shared providers are actually even more oversold and have less resources available to end users then some of these reseller providers you are talking about). Based on this, just look for providers that limit these sorts of things, and especially for resellers - lots of them out there