Angry A forum user banned, re-registers again = hacking or trespassing?

I keep having to ban some jerk from my forum. Now he is wiping his cache and coming back in via anonymous proxies, etc and re-registering. My question is does anyone know of a legal precedent that constitutes this as hacking or trespassing? It seems very similar to me. I mean if you have a real world place of business and you refuse someone entry (a drunk for example) and they keep coming back in I'd think you could have them arrested for trespassing. What protection do we have against virtual trespassers?

You really can't legally do anything against him. You can however block http proxies and open proxies. You may have to enable admin validation.

I don't think there is and would it be worthy of wasting the time of our courts to prosecute for something like this and its hard to prove that he is doing it. If he keeps coming back just ban him and don't make a big deal about it, because it just entices him to keep doing it and before you know it he will be gone and bothering somebody else.
    Kerry Jones

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalJihad
    You really can't legally do anything against him. You can however block http proxies and open proxies. You may have to enable admin validation.
    I thought of that but how do I do this and ensure people behind proxies at their place of work don't get blocked? I'm not sure there is a way? If so would be great to know. Thanks

Depending on the forum software, there may be ways to make his activities less fruitful on your board. Visit the site for your particular board and ask around for something to make him less interested rather than outright ban and repeat...

i use vbulletin 3.6.4 and currently have the ae login detector running. I believe that places an unknown cookie that is checked so even if he uses a different proxy or ip it will detect him. Seems to be working so far but he may catch on.. I'll see if there are any new mods out there..

It sounds like you don't have email verification enabled. It's generally easier to ban email addresses than it is for someone to continuously create new email accounts and re-register. Play with him for a bit and he'll eventually go away.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

Is there a vB mod out that can check user IPs against any of the lists of known open proxy servers?
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

A forum user banned, re-registers again = hacking or trespassing... Nope.

A forum user banned, re-registers again = determined

A lot of times trying to block someone via IP is pretty useless. The determined ones will simply use a proxy, or change his IP. As far as knowing all the proxy servers, I seriously doubt there is an up to date comprehensive list of all open proxy servers. You dont expect someone/thing to monitor all IPs across the globe to have a proxy server list. However, I'm sure there is a list out there of known proxys, but remember how these "blacklists" are?

Cookies are just as unrelible as IPs. If a cookie is placed, the user can find it and remove it and possibly block such cookie. Will work for most non savvy users, but with the guy/gal in question here, Im sure they could find this.

You can enable admin activation so you'll have to approve all new registrations. Also, when he does register, give him VERY few permissions and make your forum pointless for him. Persistency really is the only other viable solution (other being approve all posts before they are seen - moderating) without taking your site offline.

Hope this gives a little insight...

Also, when he does register, give him VERY few permissions and make your forum pointless for him.
    Agree with that one! Eg. if he keeps showing up at the for sales forums, make it so that only users who have registered for longer than 1 week can post in there

Technically your best option would be redirecting him to phonetrace, ****** or any other number of exceptional projects on the net that he would love to see.

He won't come back anytime soon after you're done.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyT
    i use vbulletin 3.6.4
    Grab his userID then go into admincp/vBulletin options/banning options and place his userID in Tacky Goes to Coventry. He can still see his posts, but nobody else can
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Grab his userID then go into admincp/vBulletin options/banning options and place his userID in Tacky Goes to Coventry. He can still see his posts, but nobody else can
    Curiosity killed the cat.
    How many WHT members are in that little box?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.