Help required in installing Zonealarm pro

HI Friends,

I have a dedicated server to host my website http://www.bepenfriends.com/ Now i have a thought of installing a sofware firewall (zone alarm pro) to provide aditional security for my server.

I am afraid to install because this will block all the ports by default. we need to open the ports which are required for the proper usage. Improper installation will make the server unresponsive to RDC.

I am using win2k3. Can anyone help me how to install zone alarm and what are the ports that are to be opened so tha there won't be any mischeps.

I have below services for my website

HTTP (80)
    FTP (21)
    SMTP (25)
    POP (110)
    MYSQL 5.0.x ( total of 2 ports)
    RDC required

I want to open ports only for basic needs please help me out in this

Thanks in advance
    - Albert

Why don't you just use the built in windows firewall? I used it on my server just fine, you make the changes and then click apply so you're not locked out

HI I tried to enable the windows firewall

But below thing has happened.

My website was not responding. But when i try to access website from the server itself it is working fine.

When I stopped Windows firewall my website started to respond properly for queries.

please let me know the settings which i need to give. Do i need to add the ports in the exception list (HTTP, FTP ports)
    - Albert

Any help will be great.

I want some help regarding this
    - Albert

Hello, yes you must add the ports of the server applications such as

FTP 21
    SMTP 25
    HTTP 80
    POP3 110
    IMAP 143
    Remote Desktop 3389

There are other ports you must open if you run additional applications. Post the things you run here and we can probably get you sorted

Quote Originally Posted by albertindian2001
    Any help will be great.

I want some help regarding this
    what is the help you need, some one to do it for you or ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tailseh
    Hello, yes you must add the ports of the server applications such as

FTP 21
    SMTP 25
    HTTP 80
    POP3 110
    IMAP 143
    Remote Desktop 3389

There are other ports you must open if you run additional applications. Post the things you run here and we can probably get you sorted
    Hi Tailseh,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Well below are the list of applications and the port it runs on my server.

Http 80
    SMTP 25
    POP3 110
    IMAP 143
    RDC 3389 (default port)
    FTP 21
    SMTP 25
    MYSQL 3306, 3307 (mysql 4.1 and mysql 5.0)
    Whois (for imail stuffs)
    Fingrd
    ILDAP

Apart from this i run
    Clamwin antivirus

These are the applications i run. Now i planned to move my email server to mdaemon or exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by kalinga
    what is the help you need, some one to do it for you or ?
    Thanks for asking kalinga

I can do it by myself like a hit and try but i am afraid to do that because it is a production server which needs tobe configured properly.

More over i am not a webmaster for whom the money comes like anything. After an year of Online presence I am just getting income to pay the bills. So if server down for a day my bill will be in trouble.

I am just a basic user who has server( not an admin expert). If some ne helps me how to do it (which will not give problem) then it will be best.

Someone who can guide me while i do remotely. I configured mailserver and its problems with a help of a friend who is from romania. He helped me through yahoo messenger.

I will be online in messenger from 8:30PM (20:30hrs) till 10:30PM (22:30hrs) of IST
    my yahoo id is albertindian2000

ALbert
    - Albert

Any suggestions regarding how to proceed
    - Albert

Quote Originally Posted by albertindian2001
    Thanks for asking kalinga

I can do it by myself like a hit and try but i am afraid to do that because it is a production server which needs tobe configured properly.

More over i am not a webmaster for whom the money comes like anything. After an year of Online presence I am just getting income to pay the bills. So if server down for a day my bill will be in trouble.

I am just a basic user who has server( not an admin expert). If some ne helps me how to do it (which will not give problem) then it will be best.

Someone who can guide me while i do remotely. I configured mailserver and its problems with a help of a friend who is from romania. He helped me through yahoo messenger.

I will be online in messenger from 8:30PM (20:30hrs) till 10:30PM (22:30hrs) of IST
    my yahoo id is albertindian2000

ALbert
    the prb is im not sure if will be there online in that time, but i am online from 8am to 5pm IST m-f.

keep in mind that by default ZoneAlarm block all ports. best if you try it with a local computer at home (with remote desktop) and then do it with your server.

I'm sorry, I don't remember from memory how to do it otherwise I would help you. I no longer have my windows server.

If you would like for me to do the procedure, I could for free. I'm just trying to help you. If you do not trust me, that is OK.

Maybe you can try googling it, on how to enable windows firewall and add ports?

HI friends,

Thanks for the help. I am afraid to do the zone alarm pro because it restarts the machine first. then only the program will start. It blocks each and every port and we need to add them manually. which will be tough.

i would like to know one more thing.

Do i need to add http, ftp and smtp ports in windows firewall exclusively or not
    - Albert

HI friends,

I have just enabled firewall and my applications are working fine.

Thanks for your help.
    - Albert