Support Staff problem

How much do you pay your support staff? By tickets or by flat rate?

If pay by ticket, how much per ticket is the right market price for now?

I'm currently paying flat rate per month, my biz only has around 3-5 tickets per day, and because paying by flat rate, they sometimes don't do their job. And they don't log on mostly during weekend. Average out, they only answer around 2 tickets per day, and i have to end up answer unanswered tickets, so i think i'm paying too much for their work, any suggestions to solve this issue?

Thanks

$2 per ticket

Possibly, does your staff have any other additional duties or tasks assigned to them?
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

I always pay a flat rate. It works out so much better. Per ticket just doesn't cut it, as I found they answer tickets just for the sake of putting in a reply to collect $x.

If your support guys aren't doing their jobs, give them a warning and one week to improve. After that, find people that actually want the work. If you've already said something to them, and I can't believe you wouldn't have already if you're needing to do their jobs yourself, start looking for other help immediately.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

The per ticket may not be cost effective, as Tina pointed out, with paying taxes and all. Some basic management skills should resolve your situation.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    I always pay a flat rate. It works out so much better. Per ticket just doesn't cut it, as I found they answer tickets just for the sake of putting in a reply to collect $x.

If your support guys aren't doing their jobs, give them a warning and one week to improve. After that, find people that actually want the work. If you've already said something to them, and I can't believe you wouldn't have already if you're needing to do their jobs yourself, start looking for other help immediately.

--Tina

Are you hiring? I'll certainly worky worky.

We've covered this before in other threads, but I'm interested in paying support people per client. In theory anyway, it would seem to make them partners in a way, with the same motivations as the host, keeping everyone happy, in an efficient manner.

This guy has been with me for more than a year now, he's been doing a very good job for the first year. But in the past 6 months or so, biz is kinda slowing down, and he's bz with school and all, so his performance has been dropping rapidly. I asked him to respond to tickets every 2-5 hrs during the day, but now, he's only do 1 time at night, I warned him a few times, he worked hard for a week or so, then he's back to his slow mode again.
    I don't wanna fire him, because he's good when he's doing the job, so i'm looking for solutions to keep this guy back on track, i'm paying him like $600/mo, and he's only do 2 tickets per day average, nothing during the weekend. Am i paying too much?

Yes Your Are!

Quote Originally Posted by savior330
    This guy has been with me for more than a year now, he's been doing a very good job for the first year. But in the past 6 months or so, biz is kinda slowing down, and he's bz with school and all, so his performance has been dropping rapidly. I asked him to respond to tickets every 2-5 hrs during the day, but now, he's only do 1 time at night, I warned him a few times, he worked hard for a week or so, then he's back to his slow mode again.
    I don't wanna fire him, because he's good when he's doing the job, so i'm looking for solutions to keep this guy back on track, i'm paying him like $600/mo, and he's only do 2 tickets per day average, nothing during the weekend. Am i paying too much?

If he is answering only 2 tickets a day $600 a month is way too much IMO.

I would happily answer 20 tickets a day for half that, I do it for free for my own company now.

I think honest good support staff are hard to find.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by savior330

That's an insane amount to pay. "I dont wanna fire him, because he's good when he's doing the job". Fine, then tell him he's only going to get paid when he does the job per your job description. Work up a job description and make him stick to it or show him the door.

Separate your emotions from business. If you don't, it has the potential to ruin you. Keeping someone on when they're hurting your bottom line because 'he's a nice guy' is bad business.

-Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

There goes my chance of a job with axishost lol. Seriously though , You shouldn't be paying that much , especially for so little work. You need to cut him lose.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

This whole idea of paying per ticket is just bad IMHO.
    Give them a healthy monthly pay.. with the chance to learn and get raises, you'll have a dedicated employee for years..

Some of our best employees were hired by us 2 years ago, and in that time they have grown, become dedicated workers and are kick-*** administrators.. We hired them on a monthly pay, and they are still on a monthly pay but being paid a good 50% more than their starting salary.

Hiring part-time, underpaid staff in this business can hurt you. You do not develop a dedicated team in the long run (which is just sooo essential) and the team you do have will fall apart or quit in the times or crisis or not put their best into a major issue

You are already paying too much regardless of price if the service is not up to what they promised or advertised.

It is not unusual and actually a common experience from my reading posts on WHT that support firms seem to slack off when you've been a long time customer. It is not necessarily true with ALL firms but many customers have repeated this story before.

I agree with Tina on the flat-rate.

Per-client does work IF support provider would be more likely to do a good job and want to contribute more your company's growth for the extra buck or two per month. But let's face it... would this person or firm be too worried about a few dollars extra per month just because you have some more clients. Most likely this person is working on marketing their services or another job alltogether.

Give warning and make sure to include that the service level must not fall behind again without reason or warning. Don't let them do well for a few weeks and fall behind again only to get another warning.

There are always some bad services or support techs who won't care or stand up to their promises. Search here, get some quotes based on a specific list of what this person/provider is to do for you. Then once you have a few finalists ask if provider x is recommended, not only here on WHT, but with his/her former employer or references. Also don't always choose on price, but also use the quotes you have to gauge what is a reasonable price. Then negotiate with them if needed.

There are plenty of techs and outsourced firms who are good. Individuals and services are posted almost daily on WHT who will fill your needs.

Good luck in your search!
    Regards,
    Tom
    Last edited by ByteFortressTom; 12-12-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrafalgarWeb
    If he is answering only 2 tickets a day $600 a month is way too much IMO.

I would happily answer 20 tickets a day for half that, I do it for free for my own company now.

I think honest good support staff are hard to find.
    You do it for free for your own company?
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

When I first hired the guys more than 1 year ago, i only paid him $200/mo. to start off, then I increased his salary every few months, now i'm paying him $600. He gained a lot more experience compare to when he first started, but his dedication is not there anymore, i guess, he's tired of doing these things. But we don't have a lot of tickets per day, less than 10 per day, but he can't log on a few times per day to get it done anymore. I'm too bz myself doing marketing and other billing stuff. And i personally hate doing support, that's why i need his help.

Oh..well..i think i'll have to let him go if things are not improved and kept going at the same speed.

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan
    You do it for free for your own company?
    Yes....

I would let him go , if he is doing what he is supposed too and you have given him enough "chances" . Its fire time.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !