When did the internet start and???

Hi,

I was just wondering when the 'internet' became open to the public and who were the initial first hosts and how much did they charge for hosting.

In essence, has hosting gotten cheaper or more expensive since the mid-90s?

TIA - Dav
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by dav
    In essence, has hosting gotten cheaper or more expensive since the mid-90s?
    Hosting has gotten cheaper - similar to domain names. Remember Network Solution's monopoly on domain names and $100/year fees?

And yes, hosting is much, much cheaper. In fact, I'm not sure how much cheaper it can go than where it's at now!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

The evolutionary path looked something like this ARPA>DARPA>NSFNET>Internet

In the spring of 1995, the Internet made the transition from being the publicly funded NSFNET to the commercial internetworking backbone we know today.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

Ah yes, the good ol' days of Prodigy and a 2400 baud modem. Those were the days.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I still have my original Dowty Quattro 2400 modem over at my parents house. That cost about £800 ($1500) at the time!!!

PM Al Gore he can tell you all about it.

It was all his doing.

Wow ... talk about memory lane.
    I first connected to the Internet in '93 while in school ... via a telnet connection to a Unix host. Gopher was cool back then, Mosaic was just being born, IRC wasn't a command network for 'bots ... and connections from home ... well, let's just say that setting up TCP/IP with WinSock was tons of fun.
    Hosting back then? Maybe your school would provide you with space.
    When the Internet opened up, I got a SLIP account with a UNIX-based dial-up provider that no longer exists for something like $50/month ... with a 2400 baud modem. BBS's were also popular back then ... of course, I've not seen or heard of a BBS in years.
    Hosting? Basic was, if I remember, something like $100/month for static HTML and not a lot of space. I don't recall all the details, but I did look at it and, as a college student, it was way more than I could afford. Dynamic CGI (yes, CGI, no nice progamming environments like .NET or PHP ... and it was all C, not even C++) was an add-on that cost even more.
    So, in short, everything has gotten cheaper. All of it. Connectivity ... hosting ... add ons.

Anyone remember when RadioShack was the only source for an account with Compuserve?

I still remember the DARPA days at the university.

The internet is different and better (and worse?).

Jeff

PS. I still have a Model 100 with a 300 baud modem and an old Intel 9600 baud external modem that was built like a tank. I could easily read along with the modem at those rates. Anyone remember Tapcis to keep the connection time down? I believe it was $6 per hour.

I thought Al Gore invented the Internet Tina.

Al Gore? Please, don't be silly:

http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-...13/112542.html

It even says so in my title!

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Just wait till i tell everyone that i know where Tina Peters, the inventor of the internet, hangs out during her day
    IT Support - Business Hosting & VOIP Solutions Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    Al Gore? Please, don't be silly:

http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-...13/112542.html

It even says so in my title!

--Tina
    *Bow down in awe* All Hail Tina!
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

Look at the misery, sleepless nights and agoraphobes that you have created Tina......

Then again, we could look at the blossoming internet relationships, cross-country hobbies and friendships, worldwide contacts with family members... no matter what mess or situation they get themselves into next... and up to the minute digital pictures of your nearest, dearest and kindred soul.

For that... we bow to you Tina.

xxx

IT Support - Business Hosting & VOIP Solutions Scotland

Don't get confused between the "World Wide Web" and the internet. The internet has been around since the 60s, DARPAnet, and I was able to get on it in the 80s to talk with my home office and other scientists/customers.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

Don't get confused between the "World Wide Web" and the internet. The internet has been around since the 60s, DARPAnet, and I was able to get on it in the 80s to talk with my home office and other scientists/customers.
    Was what I was just going to say

who were the initial first hosts and how much did they charge for hosting.
    The initial host were most probabaly the first few people who have a pretty darn good computer (in those days) and have a network connection to the internet

One word, MUD
    I see it's still around..

Thanks for the responses guys.

Okay then - when was the 'World Wide Web' first launched to the public?

I remember a piece on a television news channel in the mid-90s who described the forthcoming www as being the 'information super highway' which would mean people would never need to visit a library again. Incidentally, I was a late started and only got an internet connection in 2001 after I had used it in 2000 at college. The old 56kbps which was then upgraded to 1MEG and now onto 8MEG although I can only use around 2MEGs for some reason.

Cheers - Dav
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

so who was the first webhost?

I researched and wrote a paper on this about five years ago. If memory serves me, communication via computer network was first publicly hypothesized in 1953, and the first actual transmission of data between two computers via central network was achieved in 1957.

Multiple user/location data transfer was firmly in place within select universities and government/military agencies by the early 1960s. The Internet was opened up to the public in 1984 (I had my first email account in 1986 ), and the World Wide Web followed 7-8 years later.

I'm purely going from memory here. I'll retrieve my paper and post more accurate information (dates and names) later if I remember.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design