Suggestions For Proxy Server

Greetings

I am new here and need some advice. I don't know much about servers or how to
    administrate them, but i'm going to put up a proxy network for my business and
    for some quests that would need proxy setup. What i need is a dedicated server
    for this, but there is lot of other things that i need. I know that putting a proxy
    server up costs a lot and i'm prepared to pay alot.

So what things do i need to consider when putting up a proxy server. I would like
    it to be top of the line in security, and speed. I want my users to have option to
    use the proxy with any application they wish. I have heard about tunneling the
    connection, how do i do this and do i need several servers? Also the connections
    would be encrypted. Do i need a programmer to do a software that the end user
    would use, to configure their machine?

This would not be a free proxy server with banners, this will be high quality
    network without lag, only available to selected users, that would need some
    kind of verification before use.

I'm thinking about hireing a tech guy for this, cause i think i can't handle all things
    and the end result would be a disaster without one. So where could i find a guy
    to do the work?

So what kind of server configuration should i get? I't should be abel to handle
    500 active users same time (Do i need 10mbs, 100mbs or 1GB network card?).

I know this is alot to ask, but i appriciate all input. Thank You!

NotSoGood

Also, if anyone has any opinions about any of my questions, i will welcome them
    happily!

You need to run HTTP proxy or SOCKS proxy. The server license gonna cost you a lot. Unlimited client Wingate cost about 2249.95$.

For your client, make your own FreeCap(free) installation that point to your default proxy server. Or work with Proxifier(not free) maker to provide you with custom proxifier software.

FreeCap and Proxifier can redirect all your client connections to your HTTP or SOCKS proxy, so they don't need to setup all their softwares to work with your proxy server. It also support multi proxy servers if 1 server is not enough to handle your clients.

http://www.wingate.com
    http://www.freecap.ru/eng
    http://www.proxifier.com

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by shade88; 12-12-2006 at 09:38 AM.

hmm

Is that wingate absolutely a must? I have the money ofcourse, but i tought there
    was other way around it. Is wingate really the best solution for my servers? I
    want the best, so i just need a proxy server where these guys then connect with
    their password and login. I was thinking about asking a coder to hand code
    similar program like proxifier, should i do this? Thanks for your great reply.

NotSoGood

Hmmm, well..

You could always setup a VPN that the clients connect to (there is openVPN which is a little more complex, windows 2003 ships with a vpn server that's super easy to use), and then have a proxy server within the VPN that the users can route out of.

This would mean you could use a simple proxy server inside that doesn't need any authentication (since for a user to get to the VPN they need login creds anyways).

That'd maybe work - or maybe i'm just crazy

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Wingate pretty much is the best that I know for Windows OS out of the box, or you can hire someone to code you a robust proxy server.

If your aim is user friendly then software like proxifier is a must. Install and run, instead of having to setup every software they have.

Smile Sounds good....

Yes, Privoxy kind of system is a must! What do you guys think how much would
    would it cost to get someone to code me a robust proxy server? I need a fast
    system that also saves system resources, while it's absolutely secure and
    fast. If possible i would like to setup each customers maximum bandwith and
    it would be different for each customer. Also i need some kind of geolocation
    system since i will have servers in carribean, asia and europe. I know this
    will not be a cheap sollution, but it's a must have. This is one of the
    reasons i would need a custom coded proxy.

If there is any professionals here that know about these things, i would like
    to ask few questions and maybe even hire one. Send me PM if you are intrested.

NotSoGood

if you just need HTTP proxying, there is Squid on Linux
    ISA for windows 2003 server comes with a proxy server + intergrated firewall.
    If you looking for an integrated all windows solution i would recommend ISA server.

If you are planning on using a Proxy to hide computers behind it, be aware this is a very poor way of hiding those computers.
    Proxies are not designed to be annoymous, nor do they protect privacy. They are designed for the caching and filtering data.

You can of course adapt a proxy server to do these things but it is not there primary purpose.
    Last edited by doc_flabby; 12-13-2006 at 12:54 PM.

Yes, hiding computers is the main point here. So any suggestions what kind of
    system i should offer my customers and my company? Don't want anything
    illegal, just ability to protect my customers connections and give them the best
    possible annonymity.

Thank you!

Anyone... anyone?

Have a look into VPN (Virtual Private Networks)

Combining a VPN with a proxy server/Firewall gateway would go some way to achieving the desired effect.

Sounds Intresting

1. We will operate the business from company located in Panama. It will be an
    international venture. So the services must be available to anyone in the
    world. We will accept users from any country even if the services are not
    legal in this part of the world. It's the users responsibility not ours.
    I know a lawyer that will see that we are in clear waters, so that is not
    a problem. We would have servers in multiple locations, so we can assure
    that our network is always available and fast to all our users. We cannot
    have anything illegal considering the contry we are operating from. So we
    are looking for a way that would be legal in panama and in the countries
    our servers operate from, but we don't care is it legal some where else.

2. We would like to support all internet traffic, but mainly our target would
    be HTTP and FTP.

3. Well at the time our maximum budget for the first year would be around
    50.000 dollars. It will be divided in development and marketing. We could
    invest 150.000 dollars, but we feel that 50.000 dollars should be the
    maximum for the first year.

Not So Good

I absolutely agree, the thing is that i need a qualified professional to do the hard
    work for me. This is a task i cannot complete on my own. Let me know when you
    know more. Thank you for helping out.

Not So Good

Hi,
    When you search for a dedicated server the most common concerns are

1. NOC (datacenter)

2. Managing the server
    3. Server configuration

1. NOC (Datacenter)
    As far as an NOC is concerned you have to give the highest priority on its performance. You might need to pay more for a reputed NOC. The most common factors that you have to take into consideration are

• Security of Data and equipment

This should be given high priority since even a small compromise will destroy your business.
    • Bandwidth Availability

Even though some companies offer unlimited bandwidth the fact is that no such thing exits in the field of Internet. Even ICANN has bandwidth limit. Every network has its on bandwidth limit. Note that reputed companies wont offer unlimited bandwidth.
    • The knowledge and integrity of the NOC

This is something very difficult to find out. But ratings can help us to a limit
    • Uptime

Some NOC's claims that their uptime is 100%. But this is conditional. Even the best NOC might face downtime.
    • Hardware maintenance

IF you are choosing a good NOC then you dont have to worry about this.

'Cost' should be given the last priority. Becoming just cost conscious means you have to compromise on other factors.

2. Managing the server
    This should be called the most important. Several NOC's offer managed servers. But this is conditional. Most NOC's will offer limited service on managing a server. You will know the status with regard to this only on asking quaries to the service provider. It is always recommended to go for a good server administration company for managing your server.

3. Server configuration
    Server hardware is an important factor in the delivery of reliable and efficient service. This is often why business organizations choose industry-recognised brands, such as, Intel, Sun, Cobalt RaQ, Digital and Apple.

I. Storage
    choosing the right size will very much depend on your purpose and applications. However, no matter the size, the speed (access and seek times) of the hard disk will need to be relatively fast to store and retrieve data. Drive Electronics) is found in most personal computers, as they are relatively inexpensive. EIDE transfer data between the hard disk and main memory using a shared channel eg 2 hard disk drive on the same EIDE cable would use the same channel, and so as more EIDE disk drives added to the system, it will soon degrade the performance. SCSI (Small Computer System Interface) on the other hand, use dedciated channels for each hard drive or SCSI device but are higher priced than its EIDE counterparts. This is why SCSI systems are often chosen for mission-critical applications. For a web server, SCSI would be a criterion to look for.
    If the dedicated server will be used for mission-critical applications then a RAID set up would serve its purpose. Basically RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) allows the storage of data to be stored on across multiple hard disk. If one hard disk fails, then the other mirror hard disk will take its place - stopping unnecessary down time or data loss.

II. The Motherboard
    The motherboard is often an overlooked feature as few web host providers worry about it. However, the motherboard forms the foundation of the server and is critical to select a high performance and reliable motherboard brand. If the motherboard (sometimes referred to as the system board) is not up to the level of quality as other system components, it will become a bottleneck and reduce the performance of the whole system.

III. RAM
    The web server's main memory (RAM) is used to temporarily store applications and web data in the cache to serve out all requests made by users. The more RAM, the more web data it can hold in memory at any one time. The benefit of this is it minimises the fetching of data from the hard disk where all the files are permanently stored.

IV. IP
    With named-based virtual hosting implemented in most web servers eg Apache, having two IP addresses is often enough to handle as many web sites your hardware can cope with. One IP for the name server (DNS) and the other IP for your domains. The name server is similar to having the authority to delegate Internet Domains. However, if you intend to introduce SSL (Secure Socket Layer), a protocol for secure communication, for a domain then it is required to have its own dedicated IP address.

V. OS
    The most common operating systems used for web servers are Apple Mac, Unix, Linux and Microsoft Windows platforms. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. The selection of operating systems really depends on what type of tools or applications you intend to utilise in conjunction with your dedicated server. Microsoft's share in servers are very low. Servers belongs to the Unix family (eg.Linux) dominates the world of servers.

notsogood -

We'd like to discuss this with you from the development perspective. Tried to send you a PM on this board, but I think I need some posts up here before I can do that

Is there any way that we can contact you directly? If you're still looking to discuss this, that is [from the technology/development perspective]

Let me know,
    bluetesting

Why not just use sshd? It has a built-in SOCKS5 proxy and has tunnelling capabilities. It also has strong encryption, it is well known and tested, there is lots of support for it, and, best of all, it's free.

I use it all the time when I'm forced to use unsecured wireless at school.

Here are some helpful links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSSH#Secure_tunnels
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSSH#SOCKS

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
    http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/...ter4.html#4.19
    http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/...r4.html#4.19.2

Hey notsogood, I can help you, I've sent you a private message