Question Wich one of these?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of moving to a vps and I would like to have your advice. My website is a PHPBB/PHPNuke system whith a Mysql DB >300MB. So high load.

The site has arround 1200-1400 visits/day and is the high traffic moments serves 2500 pages/hours. Each page 50-150 Kb of plain text.

I have found 2 VPS offers that fit my money.

Offer 1
    128 MB (Hard Limit)
    150 GB Transfer
    Offer 2
    256MB (Soft Limit)
    Much better CPU
    1MBps unmetered
    So, I think that offer 2 almost ensures me that I will not have hardware issues with 256 and a soft limit that I could prolly pass a lot if every user is limited to 1Mbps. BUT I'll be also limited to 1Mbps, I doubt that will be enough in centain moments.

In the other hand I dont know if the hardware of Offer 1 will fit my needs.

So, which resource is more important for a site like mine? Will 1Mbps be enough enambling gzip compression? Is 128MB enough for such a system?

Thanks for all.

Amsterdam/Rotterdam, NL
    In my opinion, neither options are suitable for your needs.

Offer 1 comes with a hard limit of 128mb RAM, which is simply not enough for a high activity MySQL environment - regardless of what contol panel you use (or even if you use no control panel).

Offer 2 comes with a 1mbit bandwidth limit. If your average page is 100kb and a visitor with a connection greater than 1mbit (e.g. the majority) visits your site and loads that page in 1 second, it'll already use up 800kbps. If 20 people try to load your site at the same time (which will happen regularly), it'll take a minimum of 16 seconds for all of them to load, causing significant lags. Not to speak of what would happen if even more people try to load at the same time.

I think you should probably consider paying slightly more and go with a VPS with 256mb guaranteed ram (soft limit) and a 100mbit uplink. Sure it'll cost slightly more if you choose a reputable provider, but since the additional amount you're looking at is just $10/mo or maybe $20/mo it'll be well worth the money. If your site is constantly lagging it won't take long before your visitors disappear.

Thanks for your opinion Apoc. The problem is that 10-20$ more could double my budget. Those plans are from vpslink and tektonic, both 15$/mo. I't a nonprofit site without adds. I need to run this site for 20$ max.

I've been looking around the offers forum and found this:

It's 384MB but single CPU. Could I run it there?

Amsterdam/Rotterdam, NL
    That completely depends on whether the provider is treating their servers right, but that goes for all providers regardless of what configuration they use. $15/mo for 384mb is like a third of the typical market price so I'd be careful with it, but it might be just fine. Only way to find out is by giving it a shot, most likely.

I understand what you say about non-profit and no ads, but I'm confident your visitors understand that running a site simply costs you money. With such amounts of visitors you should be able to raise a pretty decent budget by putting just a banner in the footer (and maybe in the header). I'm sure you could get someone to pay you say 40 bucks a month in return for a banner, as 1200-1400 unique visitors per day is pretty good exposure for an advertiser. You could then use those 40 bucks (or whatever amount you have in mind) to spend it on hosting. Or you could use a banner rotation system and have 5 banners in rotation @ 10/mo each, something like that.

It's just like running a company, you got to invest to keep things running smoothly. Sure you could keep it all banner free and run your site off a cheap (and possibly unreliable) environment, but if you do use banners you can generate a bit of budget to spend on quality hosting. I'm sure your visitors would rather see a few ads on a very fast and stable site, than a site which hardly loads at all with no banners

Labrador, Canada
    I completely agree with Apoc. I've run sites for non-profits groups for years, with the bills paid out of my pocket. Eventually I said 'enough' and started using Google ads. The ads are clearly distinguished from the content, no one complains, and they cover the monthly hosting expenses.

Non-profit websites are good, but they should also be non-loss

Thanks for your advices. I think I'll try with a low-end vps, and If it doesn't work I'll start thinking in ads.