First 30 days free?

I'm just starting up my business and I planed to offer the first 30 days of hosting for free. However, I'm concerned about attracting the wrong type of customers. What is the best way to combat this?

I was planning to not even require any credit card info for the trial, but I'm instead thinking of offering 30 days for $1 so at least they have to put up something and use their credit card to get the trial. Should this deter most of the undesirable clients or am I just asking for trouble with this offer?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog
    I'm just starting up my business and I planed to offer the first 30 days of hosting for free. However, I'm concerned about attracting the wrong type of customers. What is the best way to combat this?
    Whether or not you offer a promotion such as 30 days free, your still going to get customers ever so often that will attempt to abuse your system. Aslong you you keep close eye on your new signups and verify credit card information is not fraud. Also keep in mind that if your customers pass fraud detection, that is half the battle. Most customers who will spam, or attempt to do anything harmful will be fraud.

I was planning to not even require any credit card info for the trial, but I'm instead thinking of offering 30 days for $1 so at least they have to put up something and use their credit card to get the trial. Should this deter most of the undesirable clients or am I just asking for trouble with this offer?
    regardless, the billing system you run will require credit card information to be stored for future batches. Besides, offering no credit card information will most certainly not be good.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

If you want to do something like this, then do the 30 days for a dollar or even a penny.* Make it so their card has to be charged so you can verify that they are not scammer or even worse spammers * You will lose money on the transaction after fees, but it will be well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog

I definitely think that your second idea ($1 for 30 days) is the better of the two - this will discourage the kind of clients you do not want to have, and it will be a reasonable amount to pay for testing a service.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    I definitely think that your second idea ($1 for 30 days) is the better of the two - this will discourage the kind of clients you do not want to have, and it will be a reasonable amount to pay for testing a service.
    Yep or 1 cent, this way you get a credit card which heps proves they are real and you can check that to make sure they are real.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

I'm starting out a hosting business too and am looking at your idea. Was wondering how it worked out for you.

You'll find alot of your time wasted one people jumping from 30 day trials to 30 day trials.

I would suggest offering a One Month Free promotion, or a "second month free". This way you can offer the same month for free, but lets say its their 12th, 6th, 2nd month vs their 1st month.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

That sounds great. Thanks for the suggestion Kdoubt. That thought never did come across my mind before!

I take a different approach. My thinking was I'd get either Free loaders or worse spammers signing up if I had "so many days free".

Instead if a potential pre-sales client is even slightly uncertain I'll offer 45 days no-questions money back. 45 days seems to work much better than 30, must sound like a much bigger time scale, like the &#163;0.99 trick..