How to do this "email checking thing" with exchange server?

I know somebody who uses outlook 2007 for their email account and when he is traveling he can login to check his email account from any computer anywhere. He's able to log right into outlook 2007 and check his email from anywhere in the world even if the computer he's using doesn't have outlook 2007. I'm envious of this setup and want it!

He said he's able to do this with an "exchange server setup". I think this setup is great because then when you are traveling you could login and access your email account in outlook 2007 from any computer anywhere and not be forced to mess around with webmail.

I have no spam filter program setup with my webmail so it would be a nightmare to use webmail even temporarly while traveling and be flooded with hundreds of spam per day... therefore if I could use an exchange server setup and actually login to my outlook 2007 (which does have anti-spam program filtering setup via Mcafee anti-spam) that would be great.

Is this "exchange server setup" difficult to setup? Would I really need an additional server? Would you guys even recommend this type of a setup or is it a headache?

I just think it's really cool how he is able to log right into his outlook 2007 from ANY computer to check his email... and not have to mess with webmail while traveling.

And if I didn't want to use outlook 2007... could I do this same thing with thebat, pocomail or the thunderbird email client? These email clients do support exchange as well, right?

Sounds to be like Outlook Web Access (webmail basically). It actually runs in IE (or Firefox but looks crap). In IE it looks very much like you are using Outlook, you even get right click menus etc.

To get it running you either need a recent ish version of Exchange Server or Windows Small Business Server which includes bits of everything. Basically this would then look after all your mail for the domain. With Exchange Server all the mail is kept on the server so you can set up any computer with Outlook to access it and everything will appear the same.

It's probably not worth the effort and cost to get set up though unless you have maybe 5 or more people in an office.
    Steve

I see thanks.

Yes when I see him accessing his email from a computer that doesn't even have outlook installed... he logs right into his outlook 2007 and checks his email from any computer... so this could actually be that Outlook Web access service that he might be using.

I'll have to ask him and double check... I was told that he uses a real exchange server though and not that service. I'll have to double check.

So that Outlook Web Access is basically just webmail. So I would need to setup some type of seperate spam filtering for the Outlook Web Access email since this program wouldn't be using my mcafee anti-spam filerting since that would only be used by my outlook 2007 I have at home and not Outlook Web Access...

I guess I'm just going to be stuck using webmail if traveling... even though that is a pain because then I have to now setup some kind of anti-spam filtering in webmail... I HATE webmail and preferred to never have to use it which is why I'm very interested in this exchange server setup but it sounds like this would be a pain to setup or expensive?
    Last edited by Frosty; 12-11-2006 at 09:24 PM.

I was told that he uses a real exchange server though and not that service
    It's the same thing. Outlook Web Access is part of Exchange Server.

Exchange Server is the name of the program which looks after all the email. If you access it from Outlook 2007 or from Outlook Web Access you are logging into the same thing and viewing the same emails stored on the server. This is why no matter where you connect from you will see the same email, same calender and same contacts etc.

It's a great system for big companies because it allows hot desking very easily because you just login to any free computer and your profile can be pulled down including everything for Outlook. You can then check your email and reply/delete etc and the next time you login somewhere else it is all up to date.

For a small business however it is probably not worth the cost to set up an in house server. You can however get hosted exchange services which would give you Outlook Web Access.
    Steve

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/MailExchange

Something like above? 1and1 is not the best company, I would guess, due to their ratings on this site, but at least I think this is what you are looking for...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Exchange 2003 and above allows a couple of methods to collect your mail, OWA is proberably what your freind is refering to, it looks very similar to an Outlook client but in a webpage. Spam filtering would have to be done by a filter installed on the server, such as GFI mailessentials or similar.

You can also use RPC over HTTP to connect your Outlook client (XP, 2003 and 2007) to your exchange server from anywhere in the world. This involves some configuration on the Outlook client and is not something you can just hop onto on any machine you want.

Also, although Exchange 2000 does offer OWA it is woefully inadequate compared to that on Exchange 2003 and 2007.

Using a hosted Exchange product would give you access to all these features at a fraction of the price of running your own Exchange server.

Thanks for all the responses.

I just asked him and he says that he does indeed use Outlook Web Access but that he does own his own exchange server along with some type of $600 dollar program.

He told me that he has a spare 2000 server which he no longer needs which he can give to me and that he can give me a copy of the $600 program that he no longer needs and that I can then have my own exchnage server setup for email access.

Should I do it or is this a pain in the neck to set up or confiqure? I didn't get a chance to talk to him for too long because he was busy... so I wonder what exactly he payed $600 for? What program could that be? Shoot, I'll have to ask again...

1. But so I do NOT really need an exchange server to use Outlook Web Access, right? What is the difference though... if I use OWA without owning an exchange server or with owning an exchange server?

Sorry for the silly questions, trying to fiqure this out

2. Oh wait a second, I get it... it's not really an EXCHANGE server that I would own... but just a regular plain old server... and the $600 software he was referring to is simply the software that turns this regular old server into something called an "Exchange" server, right??? Am I correct?

3. P.S- And if I did own an actual exchange server and I was using OWA on it... if I have Mcafee anti-spam installed on my home computer that means that when traveling if I login to my exchange server OWA remotely... Mcafee anti-spam would still be working and blocking spam right? I wouldn't need to setup any SEPERATE spam filter for it, right? I hope not...
    Last edited by Frosty; 12-13-2006 at 04:41 PM.

Sorry I just came up with a fourth question.

If I do have an exchnage server I don't have to host my actual website on it would I? Because I definitely do NOT want to host my website on that exchange server.

So for example if my website www.jpwear.com was hosted on some web hosting company's server... I would still be able to setup my email on my own seperate exchange server? I always thought email and website had to be on the same server though?

If I were you I'd get an account with an established provider like 1&1 as listed above or www.intermedia.net. I have customers using both services; the one using Intermedia seems happier with his small biz account (3 mailboxes). You really don't want the responsibility of running Exchange yourself, believe me . I support it for dozens of customers that have their own server, but they have other reasons to run a server in-house.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

You cannot have Outlook Web Access without an Exchange server.
    If you a running antispam on your desktop computer, it will only filter mail when it gets to your desktop, so if you use OWA, it won't be filtered.

I would highly reccomend a host Exchange solution, they will do all the work for you, often come with spam filtering, for a fraction of the cost.

Ah, I get it now. I see... but so I was right earlier when I assume that a regular server becomes an "exchange" server when you add that expensive $600 software to it, right? If not... what on earth did he pay $600 for software? I'll have to ask him to explain that one again.

Because all I would need is a regular server and then add OWA to it to make it an exchange server, right? So I'm wondering what software he payed $600 for?

But you guys have talked me out of owning my own exchange server. I am looking for hassle FREE... no headache setup so thanks for talking me out of it

Plus... I THOUGHT that if I used an exchange server setup and logged into it to check my email while traveling that my mcafee anti-spam wold be filtering my OWA accounts. But I now see this is NOT the case and I would need to setup seperate spam filering for OWA. This defaets the entire purpose! I might as well use webmail in that case. The ONLY reason I did NOT want to use webmail was because I have no spam filter setup in webmail and didn't want to have to setup additional seperate spam filter for it.

Well, that's a bummer... this has totally eliminated my interest in exchange server setup altogether. So scratch that idea

Guess I'm stuck with using webmail when traveling

But if I were to use something like 1&1 or www.intermedia.net... what would be the benefit of doing that rather than using webmail when traveling?

I don't need to host my website at 1&1 or www.intermedia.net if I want to have them handle my domain's email do I?

Ah, I get it now. I see... but so I was right earlier when I assume that a regular server becomes an "exchange" server when you add that expensive $600 software to it, right?
    "Exchange Server" is the name of the software. It runs on "Windows Server 2003" for example.

Because all I would need is a regular server and then add OWA to it to make it an exchange server, right?
    You would install Exchange Server. OWA is included as part of it.

Setting up and managing an Exchange Server for one person to use is not a particularly great idea really. You could get a hosted Exchange Server mailbox, but again this doesn't really bring much to you other than the webmail you would access looks quite nice.

If you do however want to give it a try you can get another company to host just the mail side of things by modifying the MX record for your domain.

If you had 10/20+ employees I would certainly recommend Exchange Server as it's a nice way to keep things central (and backup nice and easily!) but for one person it's not worth the cost.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Ah, I get it now. I see... but so I was right earlier when I assume that a regular server becomes an "exchange" server when you add that expensive $600 software to it, right? If not... what on earth did he pay $600 for software? I'll have to ask him to explain that one again.

Because all I would need is a regular server and then add OWA to it to make it an exchange server, right? So I'm wondering what software he payed $600 for?

But you guys have talked me out of owning my own exchange server. I am looking for hassle FREE... no headache setup so thanks for talking me out of it

Plus... I THOUGHT that if I used an exchange server setup and logged into it to check my email while traveling that my mcafee anti-spam wold be filtering my OWA accounts. But I now see this is NOT the case and I would need to setup seperate spam filering for OWA. This defaets the entire purpose! I might as well use webmail in that case. The ONLY reason I did NOT want to use webmail was because I have no spam filter setup in webmail and didn't want to have to setup additional seperate spam filter for it.

Well, that's a bummer... this has totally eliminated my interest in exchange server setup altogether. So scratch that idea

Guess I'm stuck with using webmail when traveling

But if I were to use something like 1&1 or www.intermedia.net... what would be the benefit of doing that rather than using webmail when traveling?

I don't need to host my website at 1&1 or www.intermedia.net if I want to have them handle my domain's email do I?
    Did you read this? http://www.intermedia.net/business-m...k-exchange.asp

But for regular email, for one person, exchange server might be a bit much... I do a webmail solution and pda (Palm TX). Not the best solution by far, but it gets me where I'm going... plus the little extras of having what I need in my pocket.

Depending on what cell phone you have, you can also sync your email with your cell and pda.... for free (verizon, anyway). Well, must have the previous Palm T5 for that... but there are other options to being hooked to an internet connection.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!