Thread: GSM Experts?

GSM Experts?

Okay, for the past hour I have been trying to find a simple graph that charts the various data speeds that are available in 3G GSM, and I'm drowing in alphabet soup.

The question I am trying to answer is:

What is faster, UMTS or HSDPA?

If that wasn't difficult enough, I find out there is such a thing as UMTS HSDPA

So, can someone set me straight please? Which is faster -- UMTS or HSDPA?
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

hsdpa is better than umts, it is the upgrade to it, like evdo rev b is the upgrade to rev a(at least naming for it is logical!)

Thanks for the info Steven, this morning I started my search again, and finally landed on something I could comprehend (thank God for Wikipedia).

However, if I'm reading that right -- UMTS is right there with 1.5 Mbit ADSL downstream?

UMTS: 240 kB/s
    1.5 Mbit DSL (G.lite): 192 kB/s

If so, then I can easily get the UMTS phone and use it to browse the web, unless those numbers are completely wrong. Can you confirm?
    Signal > Noise

Well technically yes.

I have an EVDO and GRPS EDGE(slow slow) phone, the EVDO is blazing fast on a single thread, but when you start having multiple threads going, so browsing in 15 tabs and downloading, it crawls.

SO bascially if you only use one browser at a time and DON'T use a pre-fetcher(fasterfox, many accelerators) it will be good, and comparable to dsl, but if you multi-thread your internet don't expect it to be that great.

I have not tried a tethered UMTS or hsdpa phone, as there is nothing like that out here in west texas(edge gsm is all, and 1xrtt/EVDO limited), but the technology even thought different works much the same.
    My speeds are about like this:
    EDGE -> slightly faster than 56k modem
    1xRTT right there with ISDN speeds about 2.5x faster than 56k modem
    EVDO(rev A) steady 800k for me, jumps to 2mb/s regularly, the threading issue I mentioned plays a part.
    I hear EVDO rev b is supposed to be really nice.
    Thats my experience

I've already had experience with EDGE (its all GSM here in Kuwait as is much of the rest of the world). I was thinking of purchasing a 3G phone and I found out that the one I was considering has UMTS but not HSDPA.

EDGE is unbearable here. Just enough for that quick email, but not for browsing.

Maybe I'll purchase a HSDPA phone instead, although the speeds published make me think that checking email shouldn't be a problem.
    Signal > Noise