webhosting.info, How many domains You host?

Ok,

So I found webhosting.info today. Pretty nice site. Really gives an idea of the market. Well,

There is a feature which will show you the Web Host's domains hosted:
    http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/

If you type in the webhosting comany domain it will show you how many domains they are hosting and some nice details of the gain/loss. How are they pulling this info?

Is it a nameserver run which just counts how many domains are hosted on that nameserver? BTW, how accurate is this count. I ran my company but it seemed to be off by about 2-3%.

Webhosting.info does not count third level domain names. If you are a web host and host many local domains.. report is not accurate. If you recently changed your nameservers or use multiple nameservers.. the site will report wrongly too

It's not very accurate at all. It may be good for seeing how hosts inter-relate, but it's not good for true user numbers.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

I typed in our name servers - but we only host our own domain names - and it said none. I typed in my personal name server (which I have about seven of them) and it said I was hosting one.

http://www.webhosting.info/about/technology/

WebHosting.Info is a patent-pending process invented by Bhavin Turakhia, a result of 2 years of extensive research and development. It employs several key technologies to generate comprehensive reports of unprecedented accuracy and quality, by processing data collected using public domain tools and utilities. The data processing is also based on various assumptions. These assumptions may lead to certain limitations in the report. Following are the assumptions and limitations of our process:

* The entire data set currently consists of all COM, NET, ORG, BIZ, INFO Domain Names. This does not represent the worldwide total, since there are various ccTLDs which we have not yet covered. We assume the total of this dataset to be the Entire Dataset. We shall be including ccTLD statistics in our reports very soon.
    * The clients of a Web Hosting company are identified as all Domains served by the nameservers of that particular Company. This may however not be true in all cases. In certain instances the DNS provider maybe separate from the actual Hosting Company. In such a scenario, those domains will be counted towards the DNS provider and not the Hosting Company.
    * While our assignment process is extremely accurate in a few rare cases we may have missed out on the Nameservers of a Hosting Company in which case the counts and statistics for those nameservers may be missed out. However, this can easily be rectified by that hosting company and we have an online automated process for this rectification. Therefore this inaccuracy will be practically nullified shortly.
    * In all reports the number of Web Hosting companies is assumed as companies having greater than 50 domains under management. Companies with less than 50 domains are not counted in the total number of Web Hosting companies. Their clients however are counted towards total statistics.
    * Currently we have not begun to check whether a domain name is actually a hosted. We will soon be differentiating between Domains that are only Registered, Domains that are Parked/Forwarded, and Domains that actually host a unique website. This will reflect accurately the count of hosted clients and exclude the parked/forwarded clients.
    * The current Web Hosting company rank is simply based on the total domains count. Since we do not have a differentiation between Hosted and non-Hosted domains yet, these total counts sometimes result in skewed rankings.
    * Few domains have multiple nameservers belonging to more than one Company. For instance domain.com can have NS1.DIRECTI.COM and NS1.ANOTHERCOMPANY.COM as its nameservers, where NS1.DIRECTI.COM is owned by DIRECTI.COM and NS1.ANOTHERCOMPANY.COM belongs to ANOTHER COMPANY. In this rare case, the client is assigned to both the companies since it is not possible to directly determine which company the domain is hosted with.
    * Wherever we mention Country in the report, we are referring to Country of the Hosting Company and NOT Country of the Domain Name. For instance a client in Australia maybe hosted with a Hosting Company in India, and the servers may actually be in the United States. There are three countries here. The country of the client, the country of the Hosting company, and the country of the Datacenter. In our reports, Country refers to Country of the Hosting Company unless specified otherwise.
    * Directi has been omitted from all rank listings to avoid any conflict of interest since WebHosting.Info is a division of Directi.

These, and variations of these may lead to minor inaccuracies in the reports. What is more important however are the processes we have put in place to remove these inaccuracies overtime, with assistance and contribution from readers such as yourself.

If you do find any inaccuracies or any other issues with our data/reports, please email us at support@webhosting.info and we will attempt to rectify the same at the earliest.
    Most importantly
    * While our assignment process is extremely accurate in a few rare cases we may have missed out on the Nameservers of a Hosting Company in which case the counts and statistics for those nameservers may be missed out. However, this can easily be rectified by that hosting company and we have an online automated process for this rectification. Therefore this inaccuracy will be practically nullified shortly.
    I believe that its a lot more then a few rare cases, including us. And the funny part is, some people will swear off this site.

It says I host 66 domains!!!

I think they need to re-evaluate the use of the technology, because I host a couple more hundred than that!
    Thanks themidge for your generous Joost invite

Is the Power Whois working for anyone at webhosting.info?

I used to use it all the time but it times out for me now for the past couple weeks.
    Mike Johnson - thehostinglist.com
    Reviews of the world's top web hosting providers
    Check our reviews at thehostinglist.com before you buy your web hosting package!

It did not even list my name servers either. I guess maybe someone needs to do a search for a domain name so that it will look for a name server at some point?

Interesting website though, I usually use www.domaintools.com for everything.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by thehostinglist
    Is the Power Whois working for anyone at webhosting.info?

I used to use it all the time but it times out for me now for the past couple weeks.
    Yeah, it's timing out for me too. From a couple of years using the site now, I gather that it's not steadily maintained. It seems like the "owners" deal with it when they fell like it. A real shame, too, because it could be a quite useful service.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

I think they are accurate if they know all your name servers..
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    I think they are accurate if they know all your name servers..
    No they're really not. It doesn't take into account many different types of TLDs.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)