Question ThePlanet/SeverMatrix

I hosted with ServerMatrix several years ago and loved their service. I have a website that has been on shared hosting and now has grown to the point of needing a dedicated server. Unfortunilty the site only makes about $100 dollars a month therefore I know I will be paying out of my pocket if I move to a dedicated server. I know ServerMatrix used to have low priced but good servers and I go there now and see they have fallen victim to a EV1 buyout. Basically I am looking atht he Super Celron 2.4 package and adding the 100mpbs nic, cpanel/whm, and 10gb network backup. I wanted to know how they are now. as i said when i hosted in the past with them they were awesome but haven't played around in the dedicated market in a while. Also I noticed the cheap days of a cpanel dedicated box are gone aswell...nothing I can find for under 135 bucks.

If you believe that ServerMatrix went down hill please feel free to recommend a decent place to get a box at. I would like for kernal updates and all to be done by them so none of these bargain basement deals where for 69 bucks you get a box that is just handed to you.

NOTE: If you run a hosting company and send a recommendation for your company there is a good chance I will just over look it. Not because I dont believe you but because I am looking for a host that has been around for a long time and has MANY others recommending them. Thanks All!

Have you considered a VPS? It will fit in with your budget (you will be under $100 also).

Just a thought IMO.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: [email protected]

VPS could be nice but I need lots of bandwidth and the bigest thing is database connections. With my current host it is a shared server so everyone shares connections to databases so even though I may only have 25 simontanous connections there may be 10 other sites taht do and it errors out. If VPS overcomes that then that would be a good solution. I just need speed and bandwidth. We have over 6,000 members of our forum and grow by 300 a month...so the bigger server teh better just dont want to break the bank.

A VPS will have whatever limits you place, you do not have to place max_user_connections since it's not needed.

In reality how much bandwidth do you expect to use? "lots" isn't a good answer, theres no point getting 1tb of bandwidth if you don't need it. Check your current usage.

-Scott
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules

Truely we only use around 45gb a month as it stands now but we will be upgrading the forum software and will be brining back our video and photo gallery so I plan with those needing about 100gb minimum. I also want to use this to host a few of my webdesign clients I have so really with doing some side hosting I will need a total amount of 250gb or so.

Why not try something like powervps it's around $80/month for guarenteed 512mb ram + burstable to 1-2gb. With 250gb bandwidth.

That's probably more realistic than the celeron. Good luck though.

-Scott

Have they been around for a very long time?

Quote Originally Posted by cedwards
    Have they been around for a very long time?
    PowerVPS? Yup. There are also other Host Maven and VoxRox that can provide you with what you want. If your application can run on a VPS, it may be better than a cheap dedicated server (you will receive better support with a more expensive VPS vs. a cheap dedicated server, better hardware - celeron's are awful, etc).

If you are still bent on getting a dedicated server, you can look at Layered Tech, but don't look for any support there at all, they are truly 100% self managed.

Alex

Is http://www.christianteenforums.com/index.php the site that you believe has outgrown the shared hosting environment? If so, I don't think you should have any problem hosting such a site on a $10-20 shared hosting account with a decent host....

Yes thats the correct site layer0 but I would rather get it off shared hosting because of the connections issue. I have looked at PowerVPS and ServInt and believe that I will get the 89 dollar package from ServInt. Thanks all.