Thread: Moving Sites

Moving Sites

In my quest to find a new host, i've noticed that there are alot of hosts willing to move your sites from your current host to thier servers... for free...

I'm assuming that the host would have to be using the same hosting platform for this to work??? is that correct??? do you just give them FTP access??

I have learned so much here the last couple of days.. thanks again for everyones help.

If both use Cpanel, then you only need to give them your reseller account IP, username and password, that information is enough to move your sites.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Montreal, Canada
    Usually cPanel -> cPanel involves giving either a full cPanel backup of the site from previous provider, or giving your cPanel logins for them to transfer everything including databases and email. If you don't use databases, then FTP can work in some circumstances as well, even if it's a different control panel. It doesn't necessarily need to be the same control panel, but often it makes it easier and more compatible. For instance, cPanel itself provides a way to transfer third party control panels, although some report they don't work too well. Others like DirectAdmin (which provides a script on their forum), Plesk and Hsphere also allow for transfers from various control panels.

Sometimes large (>500MB) cPanel-based sites can break from the automatic transfer process, so a more manual method is necessary (such as remote SCP or splitting the transfer into databases/web files/etc.)

Hope that helps!
    PolurNET Communications
    █ Avoid the Freeze, Enjoy the Breeze! █ A federally incorporated Canadian company at your service since 2004
    Proudly #1 on WebHostingJury and #1 on, the largest domain forum on the web!
    US/UK VPS+ @ ExcellentHost Enterprises || MSSQL 2008/IIS7 @ || soon!

That sure does help....