ipower.com: 50,000 soft limit with 50GB storage? (Is this reasonable?)

Hi Everyone,

I have had a website hosted with ipowerweb.com for almost 4 years, and just moved to a new (less crowded server) with them (from an ipower server that was crowded with websites and that had very slow MYSQL access times as a result).

I was just told (after moving to the new ipower server), that I am nearing my "soft limit" for that webhost account, with about 45,000 files, even though I am using only about 4% of the 50GB storage limit.

My feeling is that it is unreasonable to advertise and offer 50GB of storage, if you can only have 50,000 files (which means that each file can average about 1 MB).

I wanted to ask your opinions as to whether a 50k soft limit (with 50GB of storage) seemed reasonable and fair?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Khashyar

Depending on the OS and file system used, it can affect many things, such as the performance of certain operations.
    So, some hosts limit the numbe of files.
    It's not really the question of being fair or not, but more of OS/file-system/programming issue, I would say.

If you can't live with that, you can look for other hosts.
    There are many hosts with similar pricing.

They're certainly not the only host doing that; I know I've said before that we do that as well. People don't like it, but extras is right - it relates to certain operations that must be run on the servers. There are hosts who do not have this limit, though, so perhaps it is time for you to move on to a different host.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

This sounds like a total "bait and switch" to me. If Ipower is advertising 50GB of disk space, then they should give you 50GB of space and NOT limit it to the number of files that can be uploaded. Hosts that do this disgust me.

I know, I know, hosts are going to say, we place "limits" so that the server operations won't be negatively affected. This is BS. If you advertise and state on your web site, that the customer is going to get X amount of disk space (and bandwidth), then the customer should receive it. If hosts have to place these "limits", then the hosts should NOT offer that much disk space (i.e. don't bait and switch customers).

Thanks for your feedback about this, extras and Dan...

The part that bothers me somewhat is that stating that a website owner has a 50GB is really misleading, if you only allow them a limit of 50,000 files.

This would mean that each file would average 1 MB, when in reality, it is rare that a file comes close to being 1 MB.

So, I would feel like it was not deceptive if the 50,000 file limit came with a storage capacity limit of 10 gigs, or some figure that would be practical.

Khashyar

Quote Originally Posted by iration
    This sounds like a total "bait and switch" to me. If Ipower is advertising 50GB of disk space, then they should give you 50GB of space and NOT limit it to the number of files that can be uploaded. Hosts that do this disgust me.

I know, I know, hosts are going to say, we place "limits" so that the server operations won't be negatively affected. This is BS. If you advertise and state on your web site, that the customer is going to get X amount of disk space (and bandwidth), then the customer should receive it. If hosts have to place these "limits", then the hosts should NOT offer that much disk space (i.e. don't bait and switch customers).
    You are expressing my point, Iration.

Ipowerweb has to realize that unless you upload large media files, that no website is going to use the 50GB storage that is advertised.

And if a website DID use the storage capacity, then they would easily peak their bandwidth allowance per month.

I wish that ipowerweb would have also advertised the "Soft Limit" (as well as the attractive 50GB storage limit).

For this, and several other reasons, I have been unhappy with what ipowerweb offers. The reason that I moved to a "less crowded" ipowerweb server in the first place is that they crammed 800 websites into the previous server, and I was receiving over 100 MYSQL connectionn errors per day, and the MYSQL response time was slow and lagging on that previous server.

The resonse time is o.k. on this newer ipower server, but now I just discovered that I have a 50,000 soft limit (and I am apparently already at 45,000 files).

What really peaves me is that this 50,000 limit ALSO includes individual emails that are received in the account.

With an advertised 500 email accounts that are allowed in the webhost account, that means that after 100 emails per account (if I used them all), that I would also be over the file limit simply with emails in the email account.

Yes, ipowerweb has 2 millions website accounts (their tech support person told me on the phone), but the performance of their servers suck for the professional webmaster.

I really am going to start looking for a different host company in the near future (perhaps a dedicated server).

Khashyar

The shared host that I have two accounts with (site5) has a softlimit of 30K files for all accounts. This limit is documented on their website but you have to hunt for it.

Fortunately, they only suspend your account if the server you are on is being adversely affected by your usage. It is a soft limit.

Maybe your host will not suspend your account either for going over.
    Kevin, The Walrus

Quote Originally Posted by Khashyar
    Ipowerweb has to realize that unless you upload large media files, that no website is going to use the 50GB storage that is advertised.
    Actually they have realized it. And that's why the limit is in place.
    You can't use what you've purchased.

Now with that said it's a smart move on their part.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Thanks for your feedback about this, extras and Dan...

The part that bothers me somewhat is that stating that a website owner has a 50GB is really misleading, if you only allow them a limit of 50,000 files.

This would mean that each file would average 1 MB, when in reality, it is rare that a file comes close to being 1 MB.

So, I would feel like it was not deceptive if the 50,000 file limit came with a storage capacity limit of 10 gigs, or some figure that would be practical.

Khashyar
    I don't know about iPower, but we do mention this in our TOS.

I will ask you this, if you don't mind answering? Do you think hosts should include the file limit in their features list, much the way storage space, bandwidth, emails, etc are listed now?

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Actually they have realized it. And that's why the limit is in place.
    You can't use what you've purchased.

Now with that said it's a smart move on their part.
    Yes, David. It is technically smart in the short term.

But, when a customer learns that the 50GB offer is deceptive, then they are more likely to switch companies, and practices like these are likely to be written about on the internet and the company will receive a bad reputation.

So, I think in the long run it isn't smart and will deteriorate their relationship with their customers and potential customers.

Khashyar

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    I don't know about iPower, but we do mention this in our TOS.

I will ask you this, if you don't mind answering? Do you think hosts should include the file limit in their features list, much the way storage space, bandwidth, emails, etc are listed now?
    Hi Dan,

It would be honest, and would avoid shock and unhappiness later, as well as a feeling that the webhost has not been honest.

Khashyar

Yes, David. It is technically smart in the short term.

But, when a customer learns that the 50GB offer is deceptive, then they are more likely to switch companies, and practices like these are likely to be written about on the internet and the company will receive a bad reputation.

So, I think in the long run it isn't smart and will deteriorate their relationship with their customers and potential customers.

Khashyar
    And I hope that they do leave the companies. They're using what I would consider almost deceptive marketing practices.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Hi Dan,

It would be honest, and would avoid shock and unhappiness later, as well as a feeling that the webhost has not been honest.

Khashyar
    Khashyar, thank you very much for the input. Believe me, it is useful...members like you are what makes WHT worth visiting.

My feeling is that it is unreasonable to advertise and offer 50GB of storage, if you can only have 50,000 files (which means that each file can average about 1 MB).
    As long as they openly state the limit on their website, I can't really fault them. The more visible the statement and its placement, the less I see it as "wrong". Soft limits may frustrate the customer, but they're there for a reason, that indirectly may even serve the user.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    As long as they openly state the limit on their website, I can't really fault them. The more visible the statement and its placement, the less I see it as "wrong". Soft limits may frustrate the customer, but they're there for a reason, that indirectly may even serve the user.
    Hi Dan,

I don't see any mention of the 50,000 soft limit on the ipowerweb website.

So, actually, it might be fraudulent to advertise for 50GB storage, and then implement a 50,000 file soft limit without informing the customer.

That could get ipowerweb into trouble.

GlobalWebDan.... I also think that forums aer a great place to learn.

David... I might be one of those customers that takes his 3 webhost accounts somewhere else.

Khashyar

There aren't many hosting providers "boasting" on their homepage that they have file# limit, but most do. The same goes for the mega-TB-deals of bandwidth; you have to dig pretty deep to find the daily limit, or bw limit per file per day, and so on.
    -Mr Bister

Quote Originally Posted by mrbister
    There aren't many hosting providers "boasting" on their homepage that they have file# limit, but most do. The same goes for the mega-TB-deals of bandwidth; you have to dig pretty deep to find the daily limit, or bw limit per file per day, and so on.

Well think about it this way, would you rather have 500mb of storage with no limitations on how you use it.....or 50GB but with limitations? I think you'd choose the 50GB -- they aren't saying NO YOU CANT HAVE IT...just saying you need to follow the rules!

I am not really concerned about file upload limit, as I am not in business of file sharing. but I can understand your pain.

My question is what are you hosting that is using more then 50,000 files?

Hi Everyone,

I run a website about Russian culture, as well as a discussion forum. There is no file sharing that goes on on the website.

I think the point is if you have a "soft limit" on the number of files that you can save onto the server, then this should be advertised from the beginning.

Stating that there is 50GB worth of storage, when no one could possibly use that amount of storage with a 50k file limit, is deceptive and bordering on fraudenlent.

Thanks for all of your feedback.

Khashyar

Are you certain that there is not a misunderstanding here? Is the 50K file limit a limit on the total account or a limit on the number of files you can place in a single directory?

It is for the total account.

Ipowerweb used to be a decent hosting company.
    I had my personal and company sites there.

Things started to change and the service got miserable.
    At first the standard response to any support question was - There's a billing issue!!!

Downtime happened very often. At least a couple of hours every week.
    On the company site they switched servers and changed configs. postNuke stopped working completely. When asked to check the configs (the same installation on my personal site was fine) I got into a debate that took almost a month with no results - no PostNuke.
    OS Commerce had glitches daily as they were always changing stuff, and email from customers would just get lost.
    Spam Assassin was installed but Spam Assassin was not updated at all.
    The spam we got reached hundreds of emails per day.
    When asked to update it and make it reliable they suggested "filters" entered manually.
    The PostNuke problem persisted and they even sent me an email saying that it was a design issue and not a systems issue.

These guys host 500.000+ domains and service is horrible at least for the entry level packages that I'm sure the majority uses.
    They changed from a unlimited number of DB's (constrained by disk space only) to just 3. without prior notice.
    They change configurations on MySql and PHP without prior notice that cause hours of recoding just to avoid that the site is down.

They are pretty unreliable, and God forbid that you need their assistance.

The same started to happen on my personal site.
    I had renewed for two more years but I just moved to another company.
    Half the price, double the space and a service that never takes more than a couple of hours to solve my issues!!

I could never recommend IpowerWeb to anyone. Not after the horrible last year with them.