This VPS is enough for my Vbulletin forum ?

Hello i will buy a VPS soon with the folowing caracteristics ..

US server
    RAM: 256MB burstable to 512MB
    HDD: 25GB
    Bandwidh: 300GB
    IPs: 1 IP
    Directadmin: will use less ressources

I have a forum Vbulltin forum with more than 65 users Online at the same time . Right now my site is hosted in a shared hosting without any problems . But we will use attachement Uploads . so members can upload/download files ..so for this reason i want to transfer my site to a VPS hosting .

So this VPS is enought for my forum ?

note : my forum have : 43.000 members and 90.000 Posts

thanks

I expect that you might come across needing more RAM..
    That would be the only issue that you might see.

Your in luck though, because usually hosting providers will allow for more RAM allocation for a one time fee.

Canavaro mentioned that there are about 65 + users online at one time. That server should do you just fine, and yes, you may indeed find that you need more ram, but you are going with a VPS, more ram can be dynamically allocated if / when you see the need, without downtime. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin56
    Canavaro mentioned that there are about 65 + users online at one time. That server should do you just fine, and yes, you may indeed find that you need more ram, but you are going with a VPS, more ram can be dynamically allocated if / when you see the need, without downtime. I hope this helps.
    do you mean that my site will work fine with 256mb Ram ?

I expect that my site will recieve more than 150 members online at the same time . should this configuration work fine with my site . because my site will have many files to download . ?

What he means is start with 256MB if you need more its not hard to add with a VPS. You might need 512MB guaranteed with the amount of posts you have.

ah . thanks for you all . for helping
    i think i will start with 265mb ram . if i need more i will upgrade

First remove some crap in vbulletin. I have the script and it's insane how much stuff is going on. Maybe make the first page static and keep what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by nomorecraphosts
    First remove some crap in vbulletin. I have the script and it's insane how much stuff is going on. Maybe make the first page static and keep what you need.
    thanks fior your suggestion
    bu t what do you mean by a static first page . ?

Static is just a plain HTML page. Your first page should be quick and simple. No one looks at the crap around the forum links. The other stuff is only needed after.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahawolf
    Your in luck though, because usually hosting providers will allow for more RAM allocation for a one time fee.
    Are you sure that's right? From everything I've seen, getting more ram to your VPS package requires a bigger monthly payment not just a one off.

I highly doubt your VPS will be able to cope with a forum of that size. I have a similar spec'ed VPS and it can only just cope with a forum half the size of yours.

I was using a 192mb burst to 768 on my forum. I received a few Qos alerts but the vps did handle it.. I have now upgraded to a
    320 MB of Min RAM
    1088 MB of Burst RAM

and she runs like a champ.. Threads: 16,194, Posts: 48,557, Members: 1,458, Active Members: 1,385 Get busy in the afternoon usually tops out around 80members online during the off season to over 100 during the race season..
    www.localracechat.com

Check the offers section there is a sale on this VPS XL with KnownHost for $40.00 if not check there site.

Good luck with your site and search for a VPS..

Canavaro, I have a vBulletin forum with an average of 150 people online and I'm doing fine in SHARED hosting... yes, SHARED hosting... so don't believe what some people say. The one good recommendation is get rid of vBull crap, check the vBull forum for the list of things you can (and should) disable, like active members lists and other unnecessary stuff.

Canavaro, I have a vBulletin forum with an average of 150 people online and I'm doing fine in SHARED hosting... yes, SHARED hosting... so don't believe what some people say. The one good recommendation is get rid of vBull crap, check the vBull forum for the list of things you can (and should) disable, like active members lists and other unnecessary stuff.
    thanks for your suggestions .
    but i will add : that it will available many sections that offer upload attachements .
    so 80% of threads will include files attached available to download .
    so there will be casi 1000 members who can download it the day . ( 60 members online in the same time)

I don't know why someone suggested that a VPS isn't good enough for you, that is ridiculous but of course It also depends who you go with and the specs.

A VPS is absolutely ideal for your forum but although Cripto is on shared hosting, his hosting company is the exception with their tolerance of such a forum so I would not consider this as an option.

256 is not enough . you will need 512ram

When we talk about active users on a forum in thread, what are we really meaning?

How many users based on the past how many minutes? Are we not talking about the Who's Online list etc which is based on past activity for a given duration. Or is it something else?