Fixing My Faulty Plan

For 12 years I've been working on the assumption that if I just found the right host, I would have a secure, stable, professional rock on which to build my own businesses. We've seen many many threads here on the board of others on the same path, seeking the final solution.

This game plan is probably still valid, in theory, but it's not working out in practice.

So I'm thinking I need to take responsibility for my own assumptions and business, and come up with a better plan, one more atuned to reality.

Suppose we flip the assumption around, and assume that no matter what upstream host we choose, sooner or later, for one reason or another, the you know what will hit the fan.

From that assumption I conclude:

1) I need to completely master the process of efficiently moving my operation from host to host. No more excuses, or wishful thinking.

2) I need to accept the cost of a relationship with outside 3rd party emergency crew consultants as the price of being professionally responsible to my own clients. Don't rent a server, unless I have 2 teams behind it.

I should probably add to this, getting a 2nd DSL account in my office, and setting up a 2nd computer that is completely ready to go with all my business files etc.

Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy.

If you care to play along, let's assume your host is not going to be there for you someday. What steps are you taking to prepare for this moment?

I think your assumption is off base. I can tell you several hosting providers that will be there (and have been there) for you.

For example, I've been with Sungard (was Inflow) since 2001 and we have not had one minute of downtime - power or network.

Now, I pay good money for that, but it is extremely reliable.

Some things that I would consider are:

- Keep offsite backups to ensure rapid recovery from major disasters. If you have a database or other dynamic data, the backup must provide real-time backup.

- If uptime is really important, have the offsite back done to a server ready to go.

- use an off-server Name Server like those provided by Enom. This allows a very rapid transition from server to server in the event of an outage.

Many thanks for your thoughts guys.

I think your assumption is off base. I can tell you several hosting providers that will be there (and have been there) for you.
    I want to believe, I want to believe! :-) Perhaps I should hire someone other than myself to make my hosting purchases. Will check out the host you referenced, thanks.

In one scenario I rented on office within the web host. Two doors down from the owner, one door down from the server room. Right in the middle of the action. Even helped the owner paint his house. Still didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacsoft
    - Keep offsite backups to ensure rapid recovery from major disasters. If you have a database or other dynamic data, the backup must provide real-time backup.
    All my client data goes offsite every nite to a remote server at a different company and location. http://bqbackup.com/ Hmm, this is not really what you mean by real time backup though, right?

Real time backup would be more like a mirroring process on to a 2nd drive on the same machine? Something like that?

- If uptime is really important, have the offsite back done to a server ready to go.
    Yes, thanks, sounds like I should learn how to do this at the least.

- use an off-server Name Server like those provided by Enom. This allows a very rapid transition from server to server in the event of an outage.
    So, you're saying this would eliminate or reduce the propogation time involved in a move?

How about outside consultants? As you can see, I'm a weak link in the chain here. Should I be establishing a relationship with companies like rack911 and/or others you might suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by drewnick
    For example, I've been with Sungard (was Inflow) since 2001 and we have not had one minute of downtime - power or network.
    Is this who you mean? http://sungard.com/

Or do I have it wrong?

Is it just me? The home page of this site is completely scrambled here, unreadable. Tried a couple browsers. All Mac though, could be a Mac thing. Must be. But....

Their products and services page refuses to load in any browser. Hmm, doesn't sound like a Mac thing.

Sorry, really don't mean to be a weenie dog. Just illustrating an experience that seems to happen a lot. Someone will point out a host that they love, and I believe them. But then you visit, and get unsold.

Diversivy. Don't trust or rely any one person or company (including just yourself). Always have a contingency plan.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)