Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Update: I've forwarded this thread on to GoDaddy. I've had a few complaints from customers about kiting (I have no good response for this unfortunately). I tested this with a domain myself last week, and sure enough, it was registered and gone on Christmas day (integrityhospitality.com).

I'm on the phone with a very nice lady from GoDaddy support who is reading this thread right now. Hopefully, we'll all get some good answers and a better night's sleep with the only true GoDaddy authority looking into the problem firsthand, GoDaddy themselves.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Ok, I just got off the phone with GoDaddy. They've confirmed the ticket in the beginning of this thread is not theirs.

This still doesn't explain how domains are getting snatched up. The best they could figure was that my computer has a keylogger on it (no GoDaddy, it doesn't), but other than that, there seems to be no explanation for why my search last week is now the property of a domain squatter, or why the same thing is happening to some of our other customers.

So the answer was that there is no answer. In fact, I said precisely this to her on the phone, and she concurred.

I don't blame her, but I think GoDaddy is a little too smug about its security. GoDaddy is the only common link between the various instances reported to me and observed. I think it was very bad form on her part to take in all of this information and respond with "it's not us." If I was presented with this scenario, all of the puzzle pieces being what they are, I would say "holy crap, what if it is us!?" I'm sorry, but I'm being asked to weigh the intelligence of their security team (which I'm sure is very intelligent) against the scammers and hackers of the world (which I'm also sure are very intelligent), look at the mounds of evidence in front of me and take comfort in the fact that they have "really good security."

No, I'm not comforted, and it makes me very seriously reconsider reselling them. Please listen up GoDaddy - the best security team in the world can't avoid this problem if the problem is internal - if the searches are being viewed by someone with internal access, your security measures don't mean squat.

There are probably no laws against this behavior, and a registrar is free to do what it wished with the search data it generates. But that doesn't mean I have to like it or support it. I'm torn at the moment...
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    This still doesn't explain how domains are getting snatched up. The best they could figure was that my computer has a keylogger on it (no GoDaddy, it doesn't), but other than that, there seems to be no explanation for why my search last week is now the property of a domain squatter, or why the same thing is happening to some of our other customers.
    I already gave one clue:

the port number all registrars use (for .com at the very least) for making WHOIS queries is unfortunately open to data-mining as well.
    I've even seen one software capable of doing this.

Registering those domain names is easy. The tricky part is getting the looked up
    results quick enough to start regging them.

And yes, there are currently no specific laws addressing this issue. One or two can
    be used, but that's going to cost money as well.
    Last edited by the_pm; 12-31-2006 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm
    Ok, I just got off the phone with GoDaddy. They've confirmed the ticket in the beginning of this thread is not theirs.
    Working in a call center of some sort myself, I can tell you that the people on the phone you talk to are trained to answer a few certain types of questions, and are usually uninterested in anything they haven't been trained to handle. For instance, the call center I work at basically rents out their services, so while I answer the phone for a cable company, I don't work for them.

If you spend the amount of time on a call it takes to solve it, when you haven't been given the answer or a place to start from, chances are you will end up losing your job, or at least get reprimanded. For instance, I'm supposed to activate a pre-paid cellphone and enter all the account information, as well as inform the customer of a few other things their phone needs to do if they go out on the road for any distance in under 9 minutes. Fat chance, and that's the benchmark for EVERY call.

Considering the person I was talking to, AND their supervisor (although this call isn't exactly related and was to Enom, at that) were hardly understandable through their thick accents, that tech support was probably outsourced as well, which put another wedge in between the person taking the call and the person making it.

Most people, according to this psychology textbook I am studying for class tomorrow, won't care about your problems until the same problem inconveniences them in at least some small way. So if you put in calls and/or send emails about this, be dramatic. Try to make them think about themselves standing in your shoes.
    Last edited by the_pm; 12-31-2006 at 04:48 AM.

This has happened to me on well over 200 domains so don't feel too bad. What sucks on top of it though is that now days when domains expire if they have/had high PR, mass backlinks, or are just old aged domains in general you cannot even re-register them. I've seen numerous domains of interest expired for years, months with restrictions in place.

Of course, both the kiting and the other thing of not actually dropping domains leads to only one thing; profit. Each and every incident is done to either get ad money (not dropping popular domains) or to get you frustrated and pay $50-500+ for the domain name no one on earth would of probably ever bought but you used a tool you thought, and are often told, is safe and private.

I'm in a tough boat in that I use eNom but their whois is limited (I think to only otrher eNom domains) so I often have to use godaddy, internic, whatever it may be and like most have mentioned I get hit often with domains of no important being taken hours after I searched it....

Good luck to you all, because I don't see anyone fixing this it's already been going on too long.

I believe there was articles on CNN's site on this also, but anyways.... you can just search for extremly dumb domains in mass and perhaps let them suffer. Rig it to crontab and randomize a socket to whois stuff =]
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

most registrars whois is limited to the names that are directlyunder them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12