Different in/out bandwidth providers...

I'm looking to purchase a couple dedicated servers from a company that'll be opening soon and basically I have two questions. They are BGP connected to Verio and Cogent, and will be relying exclusively on Verio for incoming connections. They say data will be routed out via Verio until it is close to being full then Cogent will kick in. I'll be hosting game servers thus ping is crucial to my business, and I'm wondering if having Verio in and Cogent out will drastically increase ping times over Verio both in and out. I know Cogent by itself doesn't have low latency but Verio going in gives great pings so I'm curious as to how the combination of the two would work.

Second question, this host, which isn't open for business to the public yet which is why i'm withholding their name, is offering AMD XP 1800+, 40GB hard drive, 500GB transfer, 512mb RAM, and APC remote reboot port for $99 month and $299 setup. Setup seems a tad high (though on par with Rackshack's non ProjectWhatever prices) but the package seems like a fairly good deal right?
    Any and all opinions on both questions would be greatly appreciated.

Ick!

I know a few places that have indicated to me they're setting up to do this, and then not mention cogent at all on their pages (so people think its all verio). Personally i find this very immoral, and thats all there is to it as theres very little advantage if any by not using both carriers as incoming.

Yes, it will affect your ping time, but not necessarily in a fatal manner.

Yes, Cogent will definatly affect your ping time. Not to mention quite a bit of spikes which will help those games freeze right up.

For anything else, i'd probably recommend cogent, but for games, the latency is horrible.

Well the advantage for them is that that Verio is obviously a more expensive provider which means they'd save money. They made it clear that Cogent was part of the mix I'm just wondering on the particular situation which i described above with a Verio in, Cogent out.

Thats just the thing. Verio is more expensive, but not using cogent for incoming also saves them absolutly no money. Most people do this so they appear they're only using verio, and then hiding the fact that they use cogent at all and make you pay the premium.

well, the company is being straight with what their bandwidth will be, so, i find no fault there. and, for what he's getting at the price he's getting, i don't think the company is trying to defraud him or anything. (although, the price is nice, that setup would kill me a bit. unless they could spread the setup over 2 or 3 payments).

i don't know how cogent would be with a game server however. i do not have enough experience on it, but, i have played a handful of quake3 servers that are hosted on rackshack and i believe they USED to be a majority of cogent out. not that that helps. however, i know the shack is NOT majority cogent out anymore.

sorry i couldn't be of more help.

I find Rackshack to be a horrible host for game servers since their pings are quite unstable. They can be a nice and stable 50ms one day, a nice and laggy 450ms the next day, or a mix of the two another day. But anyways after doing some more discussion it appears that getting a guaranteed in and out connection with Verio would be around $.60 per gigabyte though it's not definite. Would these guys be a good option if I were to purchase bandwidth at that rate? From looking around that appears to be extremely low for reselling a dedicated line and thus suspicious, but that's not what they are doing; they own large amounts of secured cages in a datacenter in Denver, Colorado and are hosting their servers in there.

It all depends on the Games your looking to host,

if it's Counter-Strike or any of the HL mods.. the Ping won't matter ( i can point out several Gaming Hosts that use Cogent only.

But if your running any games on the Quake 3 engine.. well there will be some high pings.. it doers also depend on where the DC is.

If your On the east coast, then the Ping times even across Cogent are usually very good.

The pricde on equipment is a very good deal, and he'll make the set-up back quick in the growing market. I suggest running a few test servers a Mix of Quake based and Half-Life based to see how it looks.

Also check around at the Competition .. get an Idea of what they are using. ( Most seem to be Verio )

But the Equipment price W/ the Transfer looks like a deal.

the only qIII server i play on (i'm from europe) now is hosted at rackshack and it's been GREAT for the last 2 weeks (since the server has been up there). i'm quite pleased with it, although, i tried to get the people to go into a NAC center. heh.

When you playing online gaming with a group of people. Doesn't the game only go as fast as the guy with the slowest computer and connection? I play on gamespy and 90% of the guys have pings over 200

mm, no, it's more like a combination of how fast/stable the connection for the server you're playing on + the speed/stability of your connection.

i am on cable in europe and play on a server at rackshack(texas) and i get between 120 - 200 pings steadily. never more.

there are people on there who get in the 60s.

The host I've been asking about has been very helpful to me so far. First they added me to the APC port access list on one of their test beds so I could check out remote restarting which was pretty neat. A game server will be set up for me once they migrate over to the Verio/Cogent combo (They're on Level3 via Yipes right now) so I will be able to test out the ping times in real time...pretty nice of them IMHO. As for rackshack, it seems like their older servers on the older routers seem to get far better ping times than the new servers. I don't know why but via self-performed tests it seems to be that way. Their lack of high performance servers (which were supposed to appear with the addition of the Williams link) is keeping me away as well...a 1.3ghz celeron isn't nearly as powerful as a XP 1800+ or P4 1700mhz (which this host also offers).

Originally posted by skylab
    mm, no, it's more like a combination of how fast/stable the connection for the server you're playing on + the speed/stability of your connection.

i am on cable in europe and play on a server at rackshack(texas) and i get between 120 - 200 pings steadily. never more.

there are people on there who get in the 60s.
    oh my god! that must be painful slow.
    i usually have around 40-60ms from .de to a server in .de
    and i wouldn't ever try to game on a server oversea. (some english ones are halfway good, though)
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Originally posted by BiGWill

oh my god! that must be painful slow.
    i usually have around 40-60ms from .de to a server in .de
    and i wouldn't ever try to game on a server oversea. (some english ones are halfway good, though)

ahh, it's not that bad at all! sure, in europe i get between 40 - 80 on servers around the EU. but, the above server is all i really play. it's an instaunlagged CTF server and it does quite well.

Originally posted by mushrew
    The host I've been asking about has been very helpful to me so far. First they added me to the APC port access list on one of their test beds so I could check out remote restarting which was pretty neat. A game server will be set up for me once they migrate over to the Verio/Cogent combo (They're on Level3 via Yipes right now) so I will be able to test out the ping times in real time...pretty nice of them IMHO.
    Sounds like Webreseller to me (Level3 via Yipes). Is that the host you're talking about?

webreseller is not in denver, which is where i believe he said this provider is.

No it's Webreseller.

Ah, I got it right then

Well, if it's Webreseller, I think you're getting a good deal from a good company. Their Yipes/Level3 connection rocks!

There's just one thing I don't understand. Why do they offer you Verio and Cogent connections instead of Yipes/Level3? Is this for their new datacenter?

wait, i do not think it's webreseller, according to mushrew.

i think his above post "No it's webreseller" was a typo.

mushrew, please clarify what you said by "No it's Webreseller" before we start to fight here

I know the company he is talking about and no it's not a reseller.

ok.
    NO, it's not www.webreseller.net whom is located i believe in pennsylvania.

it is another company which is located in denver, has their own lines + racks and has connctivity through yipes/level3/cogent at the moment. (with the verio line coming shortly and the yipes line going soon after).

and hey! let's hear it for post 600!

dk2, so what's this mysterious company we're talkign about?

Congratulations on your 600th post, skylab!!!

Originally posted by twrs
    dk2, so what's this mysterious company we're talkign about?

Congratulations on your 600th post, skylab!!!
    I don't want to mention the companies name as they are just starting up but yes it is located in Denver, Colorado. It has 100 mbit to yipes and cogent with a third provider being added. They are still working out the details with a third provider whether it bed timewarner, verio, or telia. I get very fast speeds from the box I'm on there often 4 MB/s from aol.com and other places. I'll keep you updated once they open.

Yeah sorry my mistake, "no its webseller" was a typo...forgot the "not" in there. Skylab's got the details down =)