searching for a home...

hi everyone...this is my first post...of course, I'm looking for some advice about choosing a company to host my site...i locked in the domain name today and i've started looking around...head spinning, i turn to you...

i think my needs right now are minimal...i'm going to be using the site as a port (portal) that will point to another site that does products on demand, t-shirts and the like...

my site will have an opening page and then, i don't know for sure, ten to thirty pages, nearly all small jpegs of products that one can click on and they'll be linked to the 'products on demand' site for prices, color choices and ordering...

guessing i don't need much in terms of disk space or bandwidth right now, maybe in six months needs will increase...

i will set up the site with Adobe's GoLive and put it up myself...keep it as light as possible...any thoughts?...

I looked at webstrike solutions today and they looked interesting...oh, I think I want Linux, only because i read it's more stable...true?...

so, webstrike, fluidhosting, i checked out swizi's site, also some of the big known names...godaddy, dreamhost, lunarpages, oh and a site called pair...any recommendations appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

M

Welcome to WHT moetaub! Your needs are real simple and almost any host can help. Looks like your doing your research, which is great! Concider picking a half dozen or so hosts that you think you like and will fit your needs. Stay away from the heavy oversellers and remember you get what you pay for. Having said that, your costs should be minimal. Research each of these half dozen hosts, check for reviews here and Google and ask us questions about each. Then contact each host and see the response times you get and the types of responses you get. Wind your list down till you find the one you feel is right for you.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

Use this search tool here in the forum
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php
    Just type co. name in and see what feedback results. Its a start
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

When searching, I think an important thing to keep in mind is don't be intimidated by the prices you get with some companies who give tons of features like space and bandwidth, compared to others who give only a modest amount of such resources at the same price. Since your requirements are small, stick with 'small' for best results, which will avoid any hassles in the future

Good luck!
    •• polur.net | Premium web hosting solutions you can trust since 2004••
    High performance NVMe SSD, CloudLinux & LiteSpeed hosting with Canadian datacentres

Like PolurNET mentioned, start with something small and don't be intimidated by the prices. As you need more resources, you can always upgrade to a bigger plan in the future. Don't need to pay for what you don't need for now. I would also recommend staying away from oversellers because IMO, nothing good comes out from it.

While you read up on some companies, see what their support is like. This could be really helpful in case you run into any issues later and need it resolved right away without having to wait days. Good luck!
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Well, first I want to thank all of you who responded so far...it's helped me to research a bit more, check some other options. Second, I didn't realize until I looked a second time that all of you, except for thebyp2 are what, owners or partners for various hosting sites/companies. I feel like a sheep surrounded by wolves. :-)

At any rate, I've found a few possibilities. ASmallOrange seems like it might be right for me and not too expensive. All reviews I've read have been positive. I think I may check out their forums and see what the 'feel' is like. PolurNet also seems like a good path. I'm gonna check out their forums as well. I wonder if PolurNet is windows or linux? I mean both seem like they offer what I need and more. I can grow with them as I grow my business. And right now they aren't too expensive.

I just wish I could be sure about reliability. Just want to 'know' that when someone clicks on a link to my site it'll be there. And if someone sends me an email I'll get it. I guess there's only experience to 'know'. So I'll have to get my feet wet sometime soon, cross my fingers, hold my breath and take the plunge.

Anyway, thanks so far for the suggestions. I'll probably research for another week or two at most and then put my money down...

kind regards...
    M

never been described as a wolf before

Research is easily the key to finding a good home, let us know how you get on

P.S. PolurNet run's linux.

Quote Originally Posted by thebyp2
    never been described as a wolf before

Research is easily the key to finding a good home, let us know how you get on

P.S. PolurNet run's linux.
    Hi thebyp2...the wolf thing was meant in a 'kind' way...and by the way, thank you for the offer for a small 'free' account...do you run a hosting company?...nonetheless, i think i'll pass, want to start experiencing a host, find one i'm happy with and grow my business...but really, thank you for the kind gesture...

M

Quote Originally Posted by moetaub
    Second, I didn't realize until I looked a second time that all of you, except for thebyp2 are what, owners or partners for various hosting sites/companies. I feel like a sheep surrounded by wolves. :-)
    You got it right.

You just have to "translate"what they say.
    "Don't be intimidated by the price" ==> My price may be higher. Be a good boy and pay for it.
    "Your need is basic" ==> Hey, our plan has everything he is asking!
    "Look at so and so review site" ==> You will find my company listed as good/honest/reliable/whatever in the list. Damn, WHT prohibit direct self-promotion, so I'll do it indirectly.
    "Stay away from oversellers" ==> Don't choose someone more competitive than me.
    "Try their support" ==> I'll answer very nicely when you PM me.

But hungry wolves have to live, as well.
    So, if you are kind, you can contact them and test them.

If they are not good, you can dump them and come back to here.
    There will be many other wolves happy to sympathize with you and trying to get you.

It's just like watching fish in the coral sae.
    It looks nice and beautiful ... till one fish get sick.
    Then, everyone else jump on him and rip him apart and eat him alive.
    Beautiful wildlife. You don't have to subscribe to the discovery channel if you read WHT.

Also, they know that you may come back and say the true story about their services
    So, they may actually treat you well if they remember that they got you from WHT.

But I would avoid really small host, a host without real address, etc.

At any rate, I've found a few possibilities. ASmallOrange seems like it might be right for me and not too expensive. All reviews I've read have been positive. I think I may check out their forums and see what the 'feel' is like. PolurNet also seems like a good path. I'm gonna check out their forums as well. I wonder if PolurNet is windows or linux? I mean both seem like they offer what I need and more. I can grow with them as I grow my business. And right now they aren't too expensive.

I just wish I could be sure about reliability. Just want to 'know' that when someone clicks on a link to my site it'll be there. And if someone sends me an email I'll get it. I guess there's only experience to 'know'. So I'll have to get my feet wet sometime soon, cross my fingers, hold my breath and take the plunge.

Anyway, thanks so far for the suggestions. I'll probably research for another week or two at most and then put my money down...

kind regards...
    M
    There are many "animal hosts", and some "vegie hosts".
    I don't know which is better.
    I use DreamHost and I'm happy, but I don't recommend it for business site,
    if you are serious.

You may want to check mosso, iweb.ca, hostingzoom.com, too.
    They all offer shared account with redundancy.
    (Choose a host with at least RAID disk, if you care about your data.)
    Last edited by extras; 12-10-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Nice post extras.

WHT would be a completely different place without the wolves, but a sheep does need to know the difference between a wolf and a sheep. And the difference between a hungry, mutton-loving wolf and a satiated wolf who prefers venison anyway. And how to tell wolves who are imitating old grannies.

* watchin' my back

Thank you extras...you could start a new dictionary called Subtext or Reading Between the Lines...

Thanks for the smile

M

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    You got it right.

"Don't be intimidated by the price" ==> My price may be higher. Be a good boy and pay for it.
    "Look at so and so review site" ==> You will find my company listed as good/honest/reliable/whatever in the list. Damn, WHT prohibit direct self-promotion, so I'll do it indirectly.

There will be many other wolves happy to sympathize with you and trying to get you.

Beautiful wildlife. You don't have to subscribe to the discovery channel if you read WHT.

Also, they know that you may come back and say the true story about their services
    So, they may actually treat you well if they remember that they got you from WHT.

if you are serious.

Many of these spa .. I mean regular posters.... are nice helpful people.
    But their wild instinct for the survival is sometime stronger than the reason.

You should, really contact them and check them out, if you feel like.
    Just don't get brain washed by their often meaningless mantras like "over selling", "99% uptime", and so on.
    It's just like shopping a used car.
    You can enjoy, if you are not in hurry.
    Also, you can come bach here and ask second and third and more opinions, too.

Hey has anyone seen a lamb? I'm feeling hungry .

haha, extras that was a seriously over-enthusiastic interpretation of my otherwise harmless and helpful post. Jeez, just because you're Canadian, doesn't mean you can pick on other Canucks like Dan and I But it's true, when hosts here can't directly respond to requests you have to watch out for indirect messages... this is somewhat the basis of WHT
    Last edited by PolurNET; 12-10-2006 at 11:21 AM.
    High performance NVMe SSD, CloudLinux & LiteSpeed hosting with Canadian datacentres

lol, I'm so lost. What are we talking about here?! Are we playing the name an animal game? If so, cow!
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Quote Originally Posted by PolurNET
    haha, extras that was a seriously over-enthusiastic interpretation of my otherwise harmless and helpful post.
    Consciously or sub/un-consciously, we say things for certain reasons, IMO.

Why would you say "Don't be intimidated by the price" or "start small"?
    What motivated you to say these?

There ARE bad hosts with smaller plans and good hosts with BIG plans,
    and what you said isn't always true.

Jeez, just because you're Canadian, doesn't mean you can pick on other Canucks like Dan and I But it's true, when hosts here can't directly respond to requests you have to watch out for indirect messages... this is somewhat the basis of WHT
    It's somewhat normal and understandable to push/recommend the kind of hosting packages you offer.
    But often, the intention behind the messages are so clearly visible that it's really lovely.

I think we have many Canadians (and Aussies) in WHT. I don't know why.
    And some of us tend to be more frank or loud (or shameless ) that it might appear as if we pick on each other.

Lightbulb

Why would you say "Don't be intimidated by the price" or "start small"?
    What motivated you to say these?

There ARE bad hosts with smaller plans and good hosts with BIG plans,
    and what you said isn't always true.
    It's a piece of advice from experience, and searching threads on the subject comes up with pretty lengthy discussions on what is considered overselling or not Sure, I didn't say there aren't exceptions, generally speaking a more realistic price tag on realistic features is somewhat more likely to be reliable than a host with the opposite ideology. We can debate about this all day, but point being just because someone offers tons of features (space/bw/other) for cheap, it doesn't necessarily make them 'better' as some affiliate-oriented review sites like to think.

It's somewhat normal and understandable to push/recommend the kind of hosting packages you offer.
    But often, the intention behind the messages are so clearly visible that it's really lovely.

I think we have many Canadians (and Aussies) in WHT. I don't know why.
    And some of us tend to be more frank or loud (or shameless ) that it might appear as if we pick on each other.
    Hehe, why? Because maybe we're smart, inquisitive and reasonable... Though I'm sure everyone else on the WHT shares the same noble characteristics if they made it this far

Quote Originally Posted by PolurNET
    It's a piece of advice from experience, and searching threads on the subject comes up with pretty lengthy discussions on what is considered overselling or not Sure, I didn't say there aren't exceptions, generally speaking a more realistic price tag on realistic features is somewhat more likely to be reliable than a host with the opposite ideology. We can debate about this all day, but point being just because someone offers tons of features (space/bw/other) for cheap, it doesn't necessarily make them 'better' as some affiliate-oriented review sites like to think.
    As a user, I don't share the same perception.

I have experiences with smaller hosts and larger one.
    I found some of low budget hosts to be EXTREMELY good, for what I need.
    Much better than many of smaller host claiming to be better/reliable, etc...

For people who need extensive private help, smaller hosts can be better, though.

Hehe, why? Because maybe we're smart, inquisitive and reasonable... Though I'm sure everyone else on the WHT shares the same noble characteristics if they made it this far
    Well, honestly, I don't want to share some characteristics shown by certain people here in WHT.
    Probably, these feelings are mutual.
    But all of us indeed share the noble function of serving/entertaining as clowns for many readers, aware or not.

You got it right.

if you are serious.

I haven't read here anything more enjoyable and truthful before!