Managed/Unmanager and OS/CP?

Hey,

Thinking of getting a dedicated server.

Few things I'm confused about.

Drawbacks for an unmanaged server?
    What different types/levels of "managed" do you get?
    Which OS would be best? (That's a vague question I know...)
    And CP? I've used CPanel.

My requirements.
    Hosting a few blogs, some forums and a few LAMP sites/domains.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius
    Hey,

Thinking of getting a dedicated server.

Few things I'm confused about.

Drawbacks for an unmanaged server?
    What different types/levels of "managed" do you get?
    Which OS would be best? (That's a vague question I know...)
    And CP? I've used CPanel.

My requirements.
    Hosting a few blogs, some forums and a few LAMP sites/domains.

1)In simple words, In a managed dedicated server, your technicality issues are monitored frequently, where as in unmanaged dedicated server you dont recive the same services.
    Only if you are familiar with hosting part, you could opt for unmanaged dedicated server, however mostly managed dedicated server are more preferable due to its convinience and it also reduces load on your side but ofcourse the price is a bit high. These days, most of the hosting companies only provide Managed dedicated servers at the cost of unmanaged dedicated servers.

2) Well, OS depends upon your need, in regards with both, Linux is cheaper than Windows. You could go in for a Linux OS as it would be a bit cheaper compared to Windows OS.

3) Cpanel is the best suited with Linux OS, and Plesk is preferable for Windows OS.

4) Well my suggestion to you would be to go in for a basic configuration of a server starting from Celeron or if you are budget is high, you could also go in Dual Xeon. Now it certainly depends upon your need and budget and what exactly you are aiming for in the beginning.

So if you require any hosting sugesstions let me know.

Cheers
    Last edited by Generation Xeon; 12-09-2006 at 08:18 AM.

Most hosts will have a slightly different definition of managed.

Some hosts will offer you support only when you ask for help. Other hosts will constantly check your server to make sure everything is running okay. Both can be classed as "Fully Managed" . It's best to decide which you need, if any, and then check with the provider you are looking at.

SInce you haven't decided on an OS or control panel, I would guess you need some form of management.

I prefer CentOS for a linux operating system. Control panels really come down to personal taste. cPanel/WHM, Plesk or DirectAdmin. There are others available, but those three are the most popular.

From what you plan on hosting, are you sure you even need a Dedicated Server? Perhaps a VPS or even shared hosting would be better suited to you?
    John Strong - SolidHost COO
    http://www.SolidHost.com
    SolidHost offers fully managed Linux and Windows VPS's in the Netherlands , with Plesk, cPanel, Directadmin and Helm.

About the OS, I probably should have been a bit more specific, I want Linux on there as that is what I'm familiar with for servers, just don't know which, like which is best...

Also, I'm on shared hosting. And I'll probably go to VPS soon. I'm just checking my options here when I need to go over to dedicated.

With 'managed' : Like for OS updates, security patches (as I don't want to be monitoring if one of the 50 parts of the OS have a new update? or is it more simple than that?)

And why do reboots cost money? Can't you just reboot yourself?

Hardware firewalls, why better than just something you can install?