[Looking for] Cheap but reliable hosting solution

Hi guys. I am in search of a decent host but the problem is my budget. I can afford upto 6 USD per month. I tried searching for a few on my own but there are so many that I'll have to depend on word of mouth. And I am in search of a host which charges on monthly basis. For example, I dont want to go with someone whom I'll have to pay in advance for 3 or 6 months. Plus, I dont want to pay for setup either. My requirements are very low. They are as follows:

1. Good uptime (this is the only real expectation I have). Can I expect an uptime of 99% with a cheap host?
    2. 1 to 2 GB of bandwidth
    3. 250 MB space
    4. Upto 5 MySQL accounts
    5. FTP access
    6. Doesnt matter if it uses cPanel or DirectAdmin... thats not an issue for me

Thats all... And I'll be hosting only two sites on it.

You might try the host I am with, http://getmehosted.com/ They have nice small plans and you can pay monthly.

I think a few moderators know the sites I have hosted with them for verification.

I can verify that she is in fact hosted with them
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Given the level of your requirements, your budget is not a major issue (though www.getmehosted.com is a bit too expensive for the size of account you want). I can recommend the www.asmallorange.com Small plan (400mb space, 10gb transfer, $5 per month).

Cheap and reliable ... hm.... I think these notions are incompatible.

too expensive
    Everything is relative. It does costs more than what he can afford, but it may well be worth it, who knows? Jan?

Can I expect an uptime of 99% with a cheap host?
    Given your budget and requirements, I think you can safely expect more than that.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 12-09-2006 at 07:24 AM.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

anon-e-mouse, can you tell me a bit more about this host? Have you ever experienced any problems with them and how often have you faced downtimes? How fast are their servers?

Dormouse, do you have any personal experience with asmallorange?

asmallorange is offering more options for a lesser price as compared to getmehosted and that is confusing me. GMT is offering 50 MB space, 1 GB bandwidth for 4$/mo where as ASO is offering 400 MB space, 10 GB bandwidth just for 5$/mo. How come? I dont really need 10 GB of bandwidth. I know exactly how much bandwidth my sites consume on an average basis and they wont be crossing 1 GB in any given month.

Let me tell you guys why exactly I want to go for paid hosting. From a year I have been hosting my sites on a free host (frihost). It was great in the beginning. It offers 250 MB space and 10 GB bandwidth, unlimited databases, no banners etc etc. But its going down alot lately and some of my visitors have been complaining about how slow the sites have become and I have myself noticed that too. So thats the reason I want to go in for a paid host.

Quote Originally Posted by NaifA
    Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

anon-e-mouse, can you tell me a bit more about this host? Have you ever experienced any problems with them and how often have you faced downtimes? How fast are their servers?
    I haven't encountered any problems apart from me being a bit dense It is the first host I have used CPanel with and occasionally I get lost. But I am guided in the right direction with no problem

I haven't *known* of any downtime since I have been with them (just recently signed up for year 2), my sites are mainly hobby sites and I don't spend 24 hours a day checking on them. I haven't seen any "getmehosted" sucks threads either

If you would like me to PM a site or 2 I have with them. just let me know.
    Let me tell you guys why exactly I want to go for paid hosting. From a year I have been hosting my sites on a free host (frihost). It was great in the beginning. It offers 250 MB space and 10 GB bandwidth, unlimited databases, no banners etc etc. But its going down alot lately and some of my visitors have been complaining about how slow the sites have become and I have myself noticed that too. So thats the reason I want to go in for a paid host.
    I made the change from free hosts back in 2000. I have been very lucky with my choices since then. I have never left a host because they went by the wayside.

Thanks once again for the response anon-e-mouse. Ya I would love to see the sites you have hosted with them. I'll wait for your PM.

Thanks

-- Naif

I recommend itxdesign.om
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

Quote Originally Posted by NaifA
    Dormouse, do you have any personal experience with asmallorange?

asmallorange is offering more options for a lesser price as compared to getmehosted and that is confusing me. GMT is offering 50 MB space, 1 GB bandwidth for 4$/mo where as ASO is offering 400 MB space, 10 GB bandwidth just for 5$/mo. How come? I dont really need 10 GB of bandwidth. I know exactly how much bandwidth my sites consume on an average basis and they wont be crossing 1 GB in any given month.
    Yes, I have an account with them & a site there & had enough confidence in them to go for a 'lifetime' account when they were available. I don't make many demands of support (only put in two or three tickets, I think) but have always got a good response in less than 5 minutes. Haven't watched the site like a hawk, but haven't noticed any downtime & it works fast.

I've never worked out why hosts construct the plans they do or decide their limits. Depends on their costs, business plan and marketing strategy, I guess. My advice would be to not to go for more space or bandwidth than you know you need. Visit the forums of each host, ask questions of the company and in the forums.