Redirecting users from your old site to your new

I know you can use a meta refresh or some other device to have your old website point to your new address if you move. However, in order to do this, is this dependent on the old website server still being up and running? If the old server goes down, does this mean that members or guests won't be able to automatically connect to the new site?

Or is there some way of directing users to your new site actually from the new one?

The problem is that I'm not sure how long my old website's server is going to be down, as they look like they're probably about to go out of business or something.

What do people suggest?

Do you own the domain or have access to the DNS under which the old site was running? If yes, then you can do DNS tricks. If you have no control over the DNS of the site, then as far as I know there is no way for you to get the old site to still redirect to the new site if the old site goes offline.

You can also do the redirecting at the registrar level. Some registrars, like Namecheap, offer Free URL Forwarding in which you can forward/redirect your domain name to any other URL/website on the web.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Any change will need that. I mean, even if you redirect it on your old host DNS level, you'll need a propagation time, your best bet is to change nameservers for your domain, and pray that your old host stay up for the time that the propagation takes.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanworld
    You can also do the redirecting at the registrar level. Some registrars, like Namecheap, offer Free URL Forwarding in which you can forward/redirect your domain name to any other URL/website on the web.
    This sounds interesting. Do you know if Hostgator or Downtown Host do this at all?

And to the question above - no I don't own the domain name - it was one of these sub-domain name things which incorporated part of the free host's own domain name. However I'm planning to buy my own domain.

This sounds interesting. Do you know if Hostgator or Downtown Host do this at all?`
    Hosts can't do that, you need to do it with your registrar, however, even if your registrar allow that, you'll need to take the time until your domain gets propagated using your registrar DNSs.

As I said, the best that you can do is to change nameservers as soon as possible (if you think that your old host is going to be out of business) and pray until the domain gets resolved on your new host
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Any change will need that. I mean, even if you redirect it on your old host DNS level, you'll need a propagation time, your best bet is to change nameservers for your domain, and pray that your old host stay up for the time that the propagation takes.
    What is this "propagation time" you speak of? And how does that work?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbear

Thanks
    the DNS propagation time is the time that its take your domain to get propagated to your new host.
    I mean, let's say that you change your DNSs today to your new hosts, once this is done it have to be replicated to all the root DNSs of the world, your ISP have to refresh their DNSs and pick the new information about your DNSs. (Provider caches their DNS records. This means that they make their own copy of the master records, and read from them locally instead of looking them up on the Internet each time someone wants view a website).

This process, depending of each provider (ISPs) can take from a few minutes to up to 72 hours, and I read that in some old russian ISPs sometimes weeks

And to the question above - no I don't own the domain name - it was one of these sub-domain name things which incorporated part of the free host's own domain name. However I'm planning to buy my own domain.
    You can only do meta refresh if you dont own the domain.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

Oceanworld is right, sorry, I missed that part, if you don't own the domain yet, your only choice are the meta-refresh or if your actual host allow it, a mod_rewrite rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    the DNS propagation time is the time that its take your domain to get propagated to your new host.
    I mean, let's say that you change your DNSs today to your new hosts, once this is done it have to be replicated to all the root DNSs of the world, your ISP have to refresh their DNSs and pick the new information about your DNSs. (Provider caches their DNS records. This means that they make their own copy of the master records, and read from them locally instead of looking them up on the Internet each time someone wants view a website).

This process, depending of each provider (ISPs) can take from a few minutes to up to 72 hours, and I read that in some old russian ISPs sometimes weeks
    Ok, I have no idea what you just said there. I'm really quite new at this and don't understand some of these terms. Are you saying this with the idea with that maybe one might buying the domain name and the web hosting separately, and that they need 72 hours to be able to associate themselves with each other? Or are you saying something different? I really don't understand.

Also, is there any time lapse between associating a domain name to a new website host if you buy the two separately? In this case, would it be better to buy the domain name and the web hosting together (from the same company) so as not to have any down time, since they would be instantly associated with each other?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanworld
    You can only do meta refresh if you dont own the domain.
    So if you DO own the domain name, does that mean you can't do a meta refresh from the old site to the new?

I'm a little confused.

Sorry if I was too technical
    Are you saying this with the idea with that maybe one might buying the domain name and the web hosting separately, and that they need 72 hours to be able to associate themselves with each other? Or are you saying something different? I really don't understand.
    It may take up 72 hours to make your domain actually point to your host (this may happen, but usually, with new registered domains it takes less than 12 hours)

Also, is there any time lapse between associating a domain name to a new website host if you buy the two separately?
    No, that shouldn't make any difference.

Answering to your other question

So if you DO own the domain name, does that mean you can't do a meta refresh from the old site to the new?

I'm a little confused.
    No, he means, that since you are hosted on a subdomain at this moment, you don't have the option of DNS change with that subdomain, therefore, to make your actual site (on a subdomain) point to your new site (with a full domain), your options are reduced to meta-refresh and mod_rewrite rules

you can try to use .htaccess or by modify the DNS.

Thanks
    when you will change you DNS . you should wait a little time , van be from 10h to 48 houres , so the host can be domain can be attached to the new server