How much should I expect to pay for a web host?

How much should I expect to pay per year (both in British pounds and US dollars to compare the different prices) for a web hosting plan which would have some of the following features:

1. At least 10GB Bandwidth per month
    2. At least 4GB web space/ storage space
    3. FTP access (possibly more than 1)
    4. MySQL accounts/ Database access
    5. Several email accounts

Other features... plus a domain name.

What is a normal price for something like this and what is too much?

Would something like Blurstorm (I can't post the url link yet) be a good deal? However, Blurstorm seems to be either shared hosting (i'm not sure what that means) or reseller hosting (which might be mainly for commercial use and possibly unnecessarily expensive).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Up to $10 a month would be reasonable. $20 per month would be Ok if you wanted to be sure you were choosing a host that did not heavily oversell its services. (For pounds, just subtract about 50% from the USD amounts!)

EDIT: Shared hosting is when many hosting accounts are placed on one server. This is by far the most common form of Web hosting. Reseller hosting allows you to purchase space on a server, and divide it up into several differen shared hosting accounts, which you can sell and make money from.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

I would say £10/$16 per month...

But price shouldn't be the only indicator when it comes to choosing a host...
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

I would say you'd get that from a reliable host for around $10 per month

I wouldn't even factor a free domain as something to consider, you can get them for $9.00 a year and it's better to keep your domain seperate from your host anyway
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

Quote Originally Posted by SSHocker
    I would say you'd get that from a reliable host for around $10 per month

I wouldn't even factor a free domain as something to consider, you can get them for $9.00 a year and it's better to keep your domain seperate from your host anyway
    Could you explain why it's better to have a separate domain to your host? Wouldn't it be more expensive, or not so?

Thanks

BTW here is the link to the webhosting site I was thinking of, now that I have reached 5 posts: http://www.blurstorm.com

Would this be a good webhost and does the price seem reasonable? And what should I go for? The shared hosting rather than the reseller hosting?

Thanks

Well that way you control what happens to your site in the event of a dispute with your host. It wouldn't be the first time a host has held a domain in a dispute with a customer.
    Graham Craig

I don't see anything special on them, indeed, they seems to be a bit expensive for my taste (I know, now some people is going to come with the overselling crap discourse).
    I hear from little to nothing about them too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    I don't see anything special on them, indeed, they seems to be a bit expensive for my taste (I know, now some people is going to come with the overselling crap discourse).
    I hear from little to nothing about them too.
    Oh ok. They seemed to be recommended on this site: http://www.webhostingjury.com/ as the top host. Of course, I'm not sure how biased or accurate these reviews are.

Which ones out of those on that site would be a good, but not too expensive web site host?

And if there isn't one on that list, which web hosts would others recommend that would have a reasonable price range but all the expected features one could need?

Thanks

Almost all of those review sites are not even worth the time spent to look. You'll see "companies" with 1- 2 servers showing in the top 5, sometimes with 50 + reviews. Honestly, what are the odds of that.
    Graham Craig

Almost all of those review sites are not even worth the time spent to look. You'll see "companies" with 1- 2 servers showing in the top 5, sometimes with 50 + reviews. Honestly, what are the odds of that.
    So they're likely made by the same reviewer under different aliases?

If that list is not of much use, where can I find a list with a selection of good shared web hosts that would be well recommended? Is there one here?

Thanks

That's true, however, I find odd that a host with a customer base bellow than 500 customers get that many reviews on the same directory.
    Of course that may be possible and that all could be real, and maybe it's me that I'm bit sceptic
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Your best place to ask is right here!
    Graham Craig

I'd say $5-$10 would be in the reasonable range with reliability most likely.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

Thanks.

Is this a good web hosting plan? http://www.************.com/

I'm not sure if it has FTP access, which would be important if I want to upload my files onto the FTP server. Also, I do want MySQL access so I can restore/transfer the database of a forum. Does it look like this is possible here? And it doesn't have a pre-installed forum here - can I simply transfer my old FTP files and database across from my previous site and would it be then set to go?

Also, it doesn't seem to say exactly how much webspace is available, and the unlimited transfer hits seems a bit vague as to the actual bandwidth I would receive.

What are people's opinions on this?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks.

Is this a good web hosting plan? http://www.************.com/`
    I suggest to avoid any host offering unlimited space and bandwidth, also, to those offering super crazy deals where you get tons of space and bandwidth for low prices, those just are an invitation to troubles.

Thanks for the advice on the unlimited bandwidth sites.

Your best place to ask is right here!
    I've asked a number of questions here but I still don't feel I'm any closer to finding a suitable webhost. Are there any hosts that members here recommend from personal use that will only be in the $5-10 per month bracket and will have everything I need?

Thanks

I would highly recommend you stay away from hosts offering unlimited everything. I know it's not what you want to hear, but like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. The hosts that offer a million GB's for a buck are the same thing. It's all just a marketing gimick. Up your budget, reduce your requirements to what you Really need and search around for reliable host. You'll be much happier in the long run.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

looks shady
    Graham Craig

Give one of the following a try, all good hosts and I have used them.

In no particular order

HostingZoom
    Downtown Host
    Dotable
    Hostgator
    Graham Craig

I've asked a number of questions here but I still don't feel I'm any closer to finding a suitable webhost. Are there any hosts that members here recommend from personal use that will only be in the $5-10 per month bracket and will have everything I need?
    Members of this forum tend to put reviews about the hosts that they use.
    I suggest to make a list of 5-6 hosts that may fit your hosting needs and then research and ask questions about them in this forum

I had a look at hostgator (http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml) and Downtownhost. (http://www.downtownhost.com/shared.html). They look pretty good to me, but obviously it's hard to tell until you've used them.

I'm not too sure if it has a pre-installed phpBB forum on it already. If it doesn't, how hard is it to install? I already have an existing phpBB forum elsewhere and have downloaded everything from the FTP server to my harddrive and downloaded the database. Would it just be a matter of copying everything across to the new FTP and PhpMyAdmin, even if a pre-installed forum doesn't exist?

And also, both of these seem to be paid on a yearly basis (or in the case of Downtownhost, it can be done on a 2 year or 3 year basis). Is this common practice? It obviously means you're locked into a contract for that whole time. Is it better just to go for a year's contract?

Thanks

We have 25+ servers, so doubt you're alluding to us in your remark, but just thought I should clarify that Perhaps you're right about BStorm, they recently tied the top spot after we were there for more than 9 months as many can attest to, albeit having only two servers listed on their homepage...

Generally people consider WHJ is a reliable source compared to many others, as reviews are rarely removed and it is not ranked by affiliates or populated with obtrusive ad banners; we for one don't have an affiliate program at all

That's true, however, I find odd that a host with a customer base bellow than 500 customers get that many reviews on the same directory.
    Of course that may be possible and that all could be real, and maybe it's me that I'm bit sceptic
    Just wondering where did you get any information about customer base sizes? We have thousands, so guess you're referring to other hosts on that directory, though many of the ones listed I believe are considerably large (eg. dynamichosting, u2-web, etc.). It's usually ranked by overall score, with minimum 10 reviews I think. For instance, we're also the most-used webhost on NamePros, a forum with 40000+ members, so that is far from the only place for reviews. Doing a google search on many of the companies there appear to come up with reliable statistics.
    Last edited by PolurNET; 12-08-2006 at 09:00 PM.
    PolurNET Communications
    █ Avoid the Freeze, Enjoy the Breeze! █ A federally incorporated Canadian company at your service since 2004
    Proudly #1 on WebHostingJury and #1 on NamePros.com, the largest domain forum on the web!
    US/UK VPS+ @ ExcellentHost Enterprises || MSSQL 2008/IIS7 @ HostOptima.com || PremiumHost.com soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbear
    I'm not too sure if it has a pre-installed phpBB forum on it already. If it doesn't, how hard is it to install? I already have an existing phpBB forum elsewhere and have downloaded everything from the FTP server to my harddrive and downloaded the database. Would it just be a matter of copying everything across to the new FTP and PhpMyAdmin, even if a pre-installed forum doesn't exist?

And also, both of these seem to be paid on a yearly basis (or in the case of Downtownhost, it can be done on a 2 year or 3 year basis). Is this common practice? It obviously means you're locked into a contract for that whole time. Is it better just to go for a year's contract?

Thanks
    Most people advise going for monthly, it's better to avoid hassle until you're 100% certain of your decisions. Of course, some have rebates on yearly plans, but I'd be weary of locked-in commitments.

As for phpBB, since you already have all the files, it wouldn't be a problem for you to move. No re-installation is necessary in most cases, if db names and other settings are preserved. Usually you can contact a host's support department to see if they can help you transfer and ensure your website works as intended.

Good luck!
    PolurNET Communications
    █ Avoid the Freeze, Enjoy the Breeze! █ A federally incorporated Canadian company at your service since 2004
    Proudly #1 on WebHostingJury and #1 on NamePros.com, the largest domain forum on the web!
    US/UK VPS+ @ ExcellentHost Enterprises || MSSQL 2008/IIS7 @ HostOptima.com || PremiumHost.com soon!

Just wondering where did you get any information about customer base sizes? We have thousands, so guess you're referring to other hosts on that directory
    Indeed, I have no idea of what you are talking about, are you blurstorm.com too? Because, as far as I know, nobody named your company here.

Indeed, I have no idea of what you are talking about, are you blurstorm.com too? Because, as far as I know, nobody named your company here.
    Perhaps if you noticed, we have the same score as Blurstorm. The OP did mention us in another post, so it's relevant to clarify about WHJ since there seemed to be some misconceptions here about how it was ranked. Of course, I can't speak for Blurstorm, but the fact you know their customer base size interests me.
    PolurNET Communications

Quote Originally Posted by PolurNET
    Perhaps if you noticed, we have the same score as Blurstorm. The OP did mention us in another post, so it's relevant to clarify about WHJ since there seemed to be some misconceptions here about how it was ranked. Of course, I can't speak for Blurstorm, but the fact you know their customer base size interests me.
    No, I was not noticied that the OP named your company in another thread and I was specificaly talking about Blurstorm. I have no idea about your company.