Question reseller vs reseller

I'm looking for a new reseller package - I found my current one on WHT a couple of years back - generally happy with them until something flakes out and I can't get any satisfactory help and now I can't get past the bad support attitude - so I've had enough and am looking again.

My question - how to tell if a reseller is truly different - many have multiple domains or companies selling the same stuff - and what if a reseller is "reselling" a reseller?

I did see one earlier that when you click on their "reseller hosting" link, it left their website and went to hostgator - ugh.

I just don't want to end up with the same outfit.

regards,
    Mike

The only way to tell is to actually contact the host and ask some comprehensive pre-sales question. Ask them if they are a reseller? Although WHT can be a good place for doing research on your host, it shouldn't be the only deciding factor and nor should it be the only influence. Every host has its good points and bad points and every host is going to give you different levels of service..

Make a shortlist of companies and decide...

Some hosts which I believe have shown uniqueness are HostFrog.com and BudgetReseller.com... I see the owners of each company here often so maybe shoot some pre-sales questions to them..

Good luck
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

I did see one earlier that when you click on their "reseller hosting" link, it left their website and went to hostgator - ugh.
    Who might that be? Perhaps the host doesn't offer reseller hosting itself, and tries to make use of HG's affiliate program to monetize the traffic that is interested in reseller hosting?

and what if a reseller is "reselling" a reseller?
    You can do your research on any company, or even ask here. If they're a reseller someone might be able to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Who might that be?
    I don't recall, but can find it again if you really want to know - I found them in the Offers forum, message was posted today.

my problem with my current host is with support issues really - for the most part the servers work fine. But when I have a problem, I'm tired of hearing "Hey, it works for us" or "we don't really support that" or "cPanel did an upgrade last night and screwed things up" - but I guess even those type of replies are better than dead silence.

I don't really resell my space anyway - I use it to host the sites I design for myself and others. I considered a VPS, but I'd rather program and design sites than jack with all that.

regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by santaclaus57
    and what if a reseller is "reselling" a reseller?

regards,
    Mike
    I guess its hard to tell. And the host may not be honest enough to say, I am a reseller of x host. But then again, would renting a server from X host and reselling the space be considered reselling someone else's service?
    Roi

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Who might that be?
    Quote Originally Posted by santaclaus57
    I don't recall, but can find it again if you really want to know - I found them in the Offers forum, message was posted today.
    Well, I lied - it was posted yesterday - I can't post the message link - the t= # is 568092

Page is hard for me to read, but the link on the left in white says "reseller hosting", so there I went.

It's definitely an affiliate link which is ok by me, just not what I was expecting.

regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rois
    I guess its hard to tell. And the host may not be honest enough to say, I am a reseller of x host. But then again, would renting a server from X host and reselling the space be considered reselling someone else's service?
    I see your point and have no problem with that concept - renting a whole server and reselling is cool - that's what it's all about- building a better webhost wheel.

what I was trying to say - or was after - is a way of making sure that I wasn't getting a new package from a new someone who was "reselling" space using a reseller account that was on the same server I am currently on.

My technical issues seem to start on the server - so if it were the same server, changing providers is not going to help me.

regards,
    Mike

Hello Mike

You should be able to know at least if the host is on the same IP range (which may help you to determine if you are on the same server or datacenter)
    Also, a good way to see that is using visualroute were you can see where the server is located geographically.

Good luck in your search, there are many good host out there, although a lot of crooks too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Sorry if this sounds stupid but can you just ask them?

Quote Originally Posted by camnetwork
    Sorry if this sounds stupid but can you just ask them?
    Moot point now really - I dug around here on WHT, made a short list, and made a decision on a new host. Went with HostNine - so far so good. The server I am on (titan) has quad Xeons @ 2.66 ghz with 2GB RAM - my old host's server was a single 2.4 ghz Celeron with 1GB RAM. It's amazing how much faster WHM works now.

H9 has also announced upgrades to their servers to 4GB of RAM. But, I'll shut up about H9 for now as this has turned into a testimonial - I'm happy for now - I'll post back after I've had some time with them.

In defense of my old host - I was with them almost 3 years and they were great for a long time - just in the past year or so has support gotten so bad that I avoid even e-mailing support about anything - just to avoid the stupid crap that I know is coming.

I think they have grown so much, that support has gotten overwhelming. When I get the owner, I feel better about the answers I get - I think it's the flunkies who want to treat you like you're a stupid f**k.

anyway - happy holidays everyone!

regards,
    mike
    Last edited by santaclaus57; 12-13-2006 at 09:44 AM.

Good to see you have found a suitable host.

Happy holidays to you too
    Roi