changing order so that html shows before php

This may be the wrong forum, but I am using a VPS from (which I LOVE, by the way). I loaded a CMS (Joomla) which uses an index.php, but I want my index.html to display before the php does. The goal is to remove the html page when the site goes live. I know how todo this on IIS, but have no clue on apache. Any pointers? thanks!

Add this line to your .htaccess

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I love this place. Thanks for the help!

I would be suprised if index.html files aren't served by default before index.php files already. In your httpd conf file look for the DirectoryIndex -- that controls the what, and in what order, apache will serve files for an index file server wide.

If your DirectoryIndex looks like mine (below) then you could just place the index.html file in the directory and be good to go.

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.wml index.cgi index.shtml index.jsp index.js index.php4 index.php3 index.php index.phtml index.htm default.htm default.html home.htm