Thread: DNS Consulting?

DNS Consulting?

Hey guys,

Do any of the registrars sell DNS consulting services?

Here's the kind of problem I'm trying to solve.

This week some kind of DNS problem happened to me. The host said the problem was at the registrar, the registrar said the problem was at the host. Neither would talk to the other, and I was left holding the bag. All my sites offline, no email, nothing, dead on the Net.

So, have dumped the host. And will dump registrar too if I can find a better solution.

What I'm hoping for is a registrar who I can pay extra to handle any DNS issue that's over my head. Is this available anywhere?

The problem I encountered is that my registrar and host trys to address every issue by teaching me DNS. The thing is, I don't have time to become a DNS pro, just to address some situation he could handle in 60 seconds, and then we'd know the job was done right.

It's like going to the car repair shop, and they won't repair your car, but they want to spend all day teaching you how to take the transmission apart. Sorry, not interested, you do it, that's why I'm here!

Ok, you get the point. Will any registrars work on my DNS for me as needed, for an extra fee?

you could try www.easydns.com

they are icann accredited aswell

I'm not sure if they DO everything for you, a little bit of your action is in my oppinion always necessary.

but you could give your domain to a full-hoster who takes care of your domain AND your hosting...

Find yourself a more knowledgeable host (who really knows a thing or two about domain names), and he'll take care of that for you, perhaps at a little extra cost (but you're prepared to pay extra, right). Registrars on the other hand are too busy for this kind of small but labor intensive jobs (like consulting).
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I'm taking a look at easydns.com now.

Could you perhaps explain a bit more what you mean by "full hoster"? I've always been wary of giving any host control over my domain names, and this week doubly so. But I'm open minded and wish to learn. What am I'm not seeing here?

Registrars on the other hand are too busy for this kind of small but labor intensive jobs (like consulting).
    Ok, that makes sense in theory.

What's confusing for me is that my registrar and host were both willing to answer ticket after ticket after ticket to address my DNS confusion. I have to applaud them there. So they were willing to invest an hour, at no additional charge, included within the normal support.

But they won't let me pay them to do 5 minutes of work, so that neither they nor I have to spend the hour together, and the job gets done right.

If they're short on time, why not just take my money, do the job, and be done with it? Puzzling, puzzling...

What you need is to allow your host to manage your DNS for you. If you register your DNS through a 3rd party (other than your host) it makes it impossible for your host to manage your DNS for you.

Quote Originally Posted by squirreldog
    Thanks guys, appreciate it. I'm taking a look at easydns.com now.

Could you perhaps explain a bit more what you mean by "full hoster"? I've always been wary of giving any host control over my domain names, and this week doubly so. But I'm open minded and wish to learn. What am I'm not seeing here?

Ok, that makes sense in theory.

What's confusing for me is that my registrar and host were both willing to answer ticket after ticket after ticket to address my DNS confusion. I have to applaud them there. So they were willing to invest an hour, at no additional charge, included within the normal support.

But they won't let me pay them to do 5 minutes of work, so that neither they nor I have to spend the hour together, and the job gets done right.

If they're short on time, why not just take my money, do the job, and be done with it? Puzzling, puzzling...
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidWebTravis
    What you need is to allow your host to manage your DNS for you. If you register your DNS through a 3rd party (other than your host) it makes it impossible for your host to manage your DNS for you.
    Sigh.

No.

It doesn't.

It does however make it easy for one's host to say it's impossible, I grant you that.