Server coughs and uptime stats

Occasionally and with various hosts I've noticed that my hosted sites have become unavailable for short periods (tested with alertra), sometimes 30s, or a few minutes. Usually there's no explanation, and they come back alive again but uptime stats reported by the host remain at 100%.

Is it my paranoia or can a host actually reboot a LAMP server in under a minute?
    In other words between healthcheck pings?
    Is that likely to be what's happening?

It's not a major problem for me but I'm always suspicious of claimed 100% uptime stats when I actually experience short unexplained outages myself.

--Alan

Hi Alan, here is what we have found to be the case:

1) not all outages are reported by the monitoring service (either too brief or the nature of the outage wasnt picked up by the sensors they use)
    2) not all outages noticed by clients are actually outages (ie may just be a bad route for that customer or for customers from a specific geography for example)
    3) not all outages reported by monitoring are legitimate outages (ie false reports)

On the whole, I think the monitoring services do a pretty good job and I think everything averages out in the end so you get a pretty accurate overall representation.

Is it my paranoia or can a host actually reboot a LAMP server in under a minute?
    I think that's impossible to reboot a server and start all the services on it in under a minute. May it be that your host is working on the server and stoping/starting apache?
    What do you monitor? services? or ping the server?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

By outages I mean that the all browsing requests to the site(s) time-out and I can't connect via FTP either. I don't check by pinging but usually use Alertra to make sure it's not just my connection.

No real pattern, I've just noticed small outages over the years and with different hosting companies that obviously do happen but aren't reflected in uptime stats.

What do hosts acheive by restarting apache? Would it be configured to restart itself in the event of a crash?

--Alan
    Last edited by AlanCollier; 12-08-2006 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    I think that's impossible to reboot a server and start all the services on it in under a minute.
    It can most certainly be done.

What do hosts acheive by restarting apache? Would it be configured to restart itself in the event of a crash?
    Apache can be configured that way, yes.

There are many reasons to restart apache. A manual apache stop/start usually takes around 10 seconds. If an actual restart is issued (the two are different) then you can be looking at around 5 seconds.

Simon
    Last edited by IHSL; 12-08-2006 at 06:42 PM.
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    I think that's impossible to reboot a server and start all the services on it in under a minute. May it be that your host is working on the server and stoping/starting apache?
    What do you monitor? services? or ping the server?
    a VPS can reboot in ~ 30 seconds. some hosts use vpses

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    a VPS can reboot in ~ 30 seconds. some hosts use vpses
    Yes, you're right, I forgot about that possibility
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore