Why can't people have unlimited domains on win2k server

HI,

With most of the hosts offering unlimited domains hosting on linux these days I wonder why only a few hosts offer unlimited domain plans on win2k machine . Is it very hard to run and manage more than 300 - 400 domains on a win2k server or what ? What is the optimum configuration of a webserver where I wish to run unlimited domains hosting on a win 2k machine.
    I'm getting a good deal over PIII 866 machine on win2k the server is on 512 Mb ram, do you advice it would be possible to run unlimited domains hosting on server with this spec.

You could run as many sites as you wanted to on a Windows box, but any sort of UNIX operating system is going to have you beat because most were designed for the task of being a server.

Windows wasn't designed to handle the huge loads and pounding that UNIX servers take on a daily basis.
    - joey

Still...I've heard that win box can not handle more than 300 - 400 domains..is it correct ?

Originally posted by webideas
    Still...I've heard that win box can not handle more than 300 - 400 domains..is it correct ?
    It depends on what your server specs are and what types of sites you're hosting...