Hostgator now offering ssh for shared plans?

Hi,

I'm looking to buy shared hosting for about $10/month. I've narrowed it down to asmallorange or hostgator. I'd like to have ssh access so I don't have to use webapps all the time, something asmallorange has but when I looked a few days ago hostgator did not.

Apparently they now offer a "limited" shell. Has anyone tried sshing to their shared hosting on Hostgator? Is it a usable shell? Are you able to install your own version of a CMS, for example?

Thanks for any info,
    monk127

good question. I'm finally TOTALLY fed up with site5, e-mail been down 3 days. WTF!!!

anyway, hostgator looks like a good bet, but i'm hoping their shell is pretty full featured as i use it a lot...

hoping at the minimum i can cron a backup job.

Hi Monk127,

I would go over onto their website and use their Live Chat to ask regarding the Shell Access feature.

Most likely it is probably jail-shell and should be usable definitely. Try sending them an email, chat or call.

Good luck!
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cirtex
    Hi Monk127,

I would go over onto their website and use their Live Chat to ask regarding the Shell Access feature.

Most likely it is probably jail-shell and should be usable definitely. Try sending them an email, chat or call.

Good luck!
    Hi,

Actually, I tried their live chat before posting here. Although very polite, the person I chatted with was not all that helpful... as in no detailed info as to what the restrictions are. I wanted to know if I could install my own version of a CMS, for example.

Their site says it's "jailed" and "No Daemons or Background processes allowed". Is that pretty much what you get for shared hosting or is that more restrictive than normal? I don't see restrictions like that at asmallorange, hmmm.

monk127

Jailed shell is definitely normal, unless you own the root server.
    PolurNET Communications
    █ Avoid the Freeze, Enjoy the Breeze! █ A federally incorporated Canadian company at your service since 2004
    Proudly #1 on WebHostingJury and #1 on NamePros.com, the largest domain forum on the web!
    US/UK VPS+ @ ExcellentHost Enterprises || MSSQL 2008/IIS7 @ HostOptima.com || PremiumHost.com soon!

Quote Originally Posted by monk127
    Hi,

Actually, I tried their live chat before posting here. Although very polite, the person I chatted with was not all that helpful... as in no detailed info as to what the restrictions are. I wanted to know if I could install my own version of a CMS, for example.

Their site says it's "jailed" and "No Daemons or Background processes allowed". Is that pretty much what you get for shared hosting or is that more restrictive than normal? I don't see restrictions like that at asmallorange, hmmm.

monk127
    Those restrictions are generally exactly what most shared hosting providers offer.
    Although some don't monitor their boxes decent enough so running services is always fun
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Hostgator.com says they offer ssh... when i requested it this was part of my response:

In order for us to setup your account with Jailed SSH, we will need you to verify your account with a scanned copy of a Photo ID such as as a passport, or drivers license.
    Now check out the irony in that... emailing my Photo ID to someone through their unencrypted server to gain secure shell access...

Jeesh... i think maybe hostgator has been spending too much time on myspace. i suppose if you really need ssh, i would go somewhere else. otherwise it seems you are risking identity theft.

Quote Originally Posted by rockstop
    Hostgator.com says they offer ssh... when i requested it this was part of my response:

Now check out the irony in that... emailing my Photo ID to someone through their unencrypted server to gain secure shell access...

Jeesh... i think maybe hostgator has been spending too much time on myspace. i suppose if you really need ssh, i would go somewhere else. otherwise it seems you are risking identity theft.
    This is pretty standard, you can always just fax it to them and avoid email.

Also I don't think someone who is wanting to commit identity theft is going to hack into hosting company servers without them knowing, and even if they do sit and watch for emails with scans attached of drivers licenses, but maybe I'm not paranoid enough

Quote Originally Posted by monk127
    It's probably jailshell just like what we offer. It's not anything major, just chrooted so you can't see others files (a no brainer) and can't do some dumb things to destroy the machine (also a no brainer). Other than that, it's just standard bash.

Also, our only restrictions are high resource usage programs or network-accessible servers. So, you would obviously be not running a Half-Life dedicated server or ShoutCast server from your shared account.

And SSH access shouldn't require you to fax in a photo ID. That's just a waste of time in my opinion. If someone wants to do damage, they can do it just as easily with a Perl script or something else that's accessible from the web. Just upload any CGI app to the cgi-bin and you can do anything your user account can do in the system. Plus, SSH is needed for stuff like symlinks or large MySQL imports. If you can't keep SSH under control, you've got problems
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

Quote Originally Posted by timdorr
    And SSH access shouldn't require you to fax in a photo ID. That's just a waste of time in my opinion. If someone wants to do damage, they can do it just as easily with a Perl script or something else that's accessible from the web. Just upload any CGI app to the cgi-bin and you can do anything your user account can do in the system. Plus, SSH is needed for stuff like symlinks or large MySQL imports. If you can't keep SSH under control, you've got problems
    True but when I was a kid and doing stuff I shouldn't have with shell that kind of limitation is more a psch barrier
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company