Another Unsatisfied Hostingplex Customer

I've been with Hostingplex now for little over a year. I bought their plan at $3.95 a month for two years back when they were advertising it on their front page. Now they've jacked the price up for their new plan, and discontinued the advertisement of the old one. Which is fine. They sent me a notice stating that I had the option of upgrading, but never said I had to. I was well within my usage limits, so upgrading was not in my best interests.

Then, this last September, I caught their attention when my site was running a lot of PHP processes. I was running the most recent version of vBulletin software with about 3000 members total (500 active). Apparently, that's too much for their servers, and they felt it necessary to suspend my account. Fine. I moved the website to a friend's server, and it's been there since.

I called the next day. No answer for an hour. Odd. So I created a support ticket in their support system.

A week later, I got a response telling me to give more details. I did. I never got another response, and my hosting was still suspended. So I kept calling them.

Every day for a month, I called them, but to no avail. Each day, I'd hang up the phone unsatisfied. It was rediculous, and I had to think of some way to get through to them. Then, I tried something revolutionary. I pressed the sales extention instead of the customer service extension. It worked. I got through to a fellow named Al. I told him that I thought I was being a good sport about this, and I said that the usage issues would not occur again, and that I'd like my hosting unsuspended. He said it would be up in twenty-four hours. Come the next day, it was not. So I called.

In fact, I still call every day to this day, and I get no answer. I spend an average of a half an hour each time on the phone, and sometimes, up to five hours once when I fell asleep. When I awoke, I was greeted with, "Thank you for holding, someone will be with you shortly." I was furious.

I kept calling, but then, about a month ago, something happened that about sent me over the edge. They shut their phone system off just to get rid of me. At 5:15 PM EST, 45 minutes before they close, my phone cut off, and all I heard was silence. Thinking I was disconnected, I called back to resume my waiting, instead of the phone menu, I was greeted with, "Our business hours are so and so, you can leave a message..."

Regardless, I still continued to call each day.

So, about two weeks ago, I finally got through again to a fellow named Alfez. Cute name. It was through thier live support chat, not their phones. I had tried the live chat before, but this time, I used a different name and email address. I got through. I told him my situation, and said I would like to cancel, and I demand a refund. He wouldn't give me the refund, but he was happy to cancel. Without the refund, it's hardly a victory, so I told him to just unsuspend it. And...Maybe, just maybe, I was a jerk about it. I told him how terrible Hostingplex's support was, and how Hostingplex's business strategy belongs with the rest of the Dot Bomb failures. He said, "hopefully, this will be resolved within twenty-four hours." Two weeks later, I'm still waiting...And still on the phone.

I've decided that they've been purposely ignoring my phone calls, support tickets, emails, and chat requests, but I could be wrong. Maybe they are just that incompetant. Still...

Is there anyone out there that can help me, or offer any advice on how to approach this situation?

I'm moving to Media Temple.

I really sorry for problems that you're facing, however, something worry even more

Are you sure that you want to do that? I suggest to do a search about them in this forum, probably that will give you another idea.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalicious

Is there anyone out there that can help me, or offer any advice on how to approach this situation?

So you need help figuring out how to get your refund or to get backup of your site, cause i thought you moved to your friends server already??

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny
    So you need help figuring out how to get your refund or to get backup of your site, cause i thought you moved to your friends server already??
    Well, Alfez said that a refund was not possible. So I am thinking, well, why cancel if I'm not going to get anything out of it. The least I want is my account unsuspended. I would tell them that that is what I want, but I can't get through to them...At all.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    I really sorry for problems that you're facing, however, something worry even more

Huh? What?
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Digitalicious, I know where you're going. But if you can't get a refund and seeing the way they've been treating you, I don't see why you would want to stay. If I were you, I'd get the hell outta asap.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Thanks for letting us know. I've had it bookmarked, but I'll remove it shortly.

I was wondering how much they asked for .ca renewals and registrations, but I'll just forget it.

Once hosting companies have your money, they won't let go of it! I'm seriously rethinking about how to handle my business.

nomorecraphosts, you can find a good host, there are plenty of them, just make sure you do your research ahead of time. Then with a little luck they won't go down hill on you. Look for someone that's been around awhile and doesn't have rediculous overselling practices.
    Digitalicious, thanks for the review, wish things had worked out better for you. Good luck in your search for a new host.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

Digitalicious,

Out of curiosity's sake which domain do/did you host with Hostingplex?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by sTag-Dan
    If I were you, I'd get the hell outta asap.
    Yes, that would be the smart thing to do, but I'm out for revenge. I may have a new hosting account picked out, but I payed for two years of HostingPlex service, and you're damn right I'll be using every bit of it. I'm not about to waste money.

Now, it would certainly appear that HostingPlex caught wind of this topic here.

Dan,

I apologize for the delays you've endured.
    Your account is now unsuspended.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

David J
    Hostingplex Support

Ticket Details
    ===================
    Ticket ID: HRH-201657
    Department: Level 3 Support
    Priority: Critical
    How lovely. As soon as I start telling other people, they jump into action. Maybe they don't respond to unhappy customers, but unhappy reviews.

I may have a new hosting account picked out, but I payed for two years of HostingPlex service, and you're damn right I'll be using every bit of it. I'm not about to waste money.
    There are some companies that may take you as a refugee and add your remaining duration from your old host to your account with them, in that way you can move your site out of there (if you're not satisfied) and at the same time, don't lose the payed service
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalicious
    How lovely. As soon as I start telling other people, they jump into action. Maybe they don't respond to unhappy customers, but unhappy reviews.
    Pure coincidence in this case.
    Hopefully the issue was resolved to your satisfaction though -- if not don't hesitate to update the ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    There are some companies that may take you as a refugee and add your remaining duration from your old host to your account with them, in that way you can move your site out of there (if you're not satisfied) and at the same time, don't lose the payed service
    And there's also many companies who don't hover around threads like vultures when issues arise.
    To each their own, I guess?
    Last edited by David; 12-08-2006 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Pure coincidence in this case.
    Hopefully the issue was resolved to your satisfaction though -- if not don't hesitate to update the ticket!

And there's also many companies who don't hover around threads like vultures when issues arise.
    To each their own, I guess?
    To be honest I don't see anything on his website which might point out that he offers refugee discounts...unless I'm just missing something.

Anyway, Digitalicious, bringing things about another company to WHT do tend to make them all the sudden respond...I've seen it many times and this won't be the last time. If you were overloading their server I can see their reasoning for turning you off, but they should have at least notified you in advance or offered you some sort of other way, such as upgrading to a larger plan or being moved to another server box.

Calling for months on end...wow. That is pretty amazing. It's terrible that they didn't pick up for you, and even worse that they shut it down to keep you from calling them. I'm personally surprised they didn't just block your number. Good luck to you wherever you decide to go. Hopefully they won't do what Hostingplex did to you. Maybe you should consider talking to a support/billing representative of the hosting company to make sure they can handle a forum like yours, and to see what kind of pricing would be involved in order to host it.
    PDC Lan Webhosting
    Linux Shared and Reseller Plans at discount prices!

HostingPlex has a habit of not resolving issues until the issue itself is brought to WHT. You can do a search and you will find plenty of complaints regarding their service and support, some of which were resolved upon posting on WHT.

I take it Hostingplex are not great? Just choosing hosting at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnatik
    I take it Hostingplex are not great? Just choosing hosting at the moment.
    Do a search on them for reviews.

Well, personally, I don't think that they were justified in shutting me down. Being that it was simple a forum application, and had a rather small and concentrated user base, I find it very unlikely that I was using that many resources. There are only three resources listed in the Terms of Service.

Resources are defined as bandwidth, memory and/or processor utilization. A website is considered using "Excessive amounts of resources" when it monopolies the resources available using 10% or more of system resources for longer than 60 seconds.
    The problem was in processor utilization as the bandwidth and space allowances were not breeched. Would it seem likely that a vBulletin of a rather small size can use that many resources?

Well, whatever the answer, I have this particular account back, and Hostingplex has another bad review. You can be sure that next time, I will research the company thoroughly.

Digitalicious,

Accounts simply aren't shut down for the fun of it. vBulletin is known to be a very resource intensive script compared to many of it's competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Digitalicious,

Accounts simply aren't shut down for the fun of it. vBulletin is known to be a very resource intensive script compared to many of it's competitors.
    Thank God I didn't finish all those AJAX modifications...I would have brought the entire server to its knees.

I'd certainly still like to know the reason for the way I was treated (you know, the hours and hours I spent on the phone)...Maybe I'll drop them a line...