Thread: Webmin?

Webmin?

I was wondering if the $20/m that I could save with Webmin is worth it(PowerVPS)?

I use Regfly vps with plesk where I need to make 10 clicks to do anything. It's kinda annoying when I have ten domains.

Are there any disadvantages? I just need to add domains(10+), adjust limits, go to phpmyadmin quickly, and sometimes reboot.

The only support I need is to fix the server when it's down.

Webmin works good if you know how to administrate it. Otherwise, it will be a headache for you to fix everything yourself. Webmin is a free software, and doesn't have any good support as well.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    Webmin works good if you know how to administrate it. Otherwise, it will be a headache for you to fix everything yourself. Webmin is a free software, and doesn't have any good support as well.
    I have to disagree with the last part. The Webmin developer, Jamie Cameron, provides timely and consistently-excellent support through the Webmin maillist.

As I said here, the problem with Webmin is that you probably won't get full support from the host if you decide to go with this control panel.

What kind of problems should I encounter? And how can we fix them by ourselves?

Hi!
    There are even free books to download to learn webmin. It's not that difficult..unless..you are making modifications to the source like some people (cough).

Oh..and the price is right too..of course.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by yomanfu
    As I said here, the problem with Webmin is that you probably won't get full support from the host if you decide to go with this control panel.
    I think 'Knownhost - J' hit the nail on the head with his reply in that thread (post #4).

If you're going to use Webmin for serious webhosting, I think you should understand how it interacts with the system's configuration. Webmin doesn't do anything but modify configuration files. You could do the same thing by hand, but Webmin makes it easier.

If you run into an issue while using Webmin, you should be able to identify where, in the filesystem, the problem lies. And then a knowledgeable sysadmin with your host can help.

Someone who has very little knowledge of how a Linux server works will have trouble with Webmin. It is not "point and shoot" like cPanel or Plesk. Those hosting control panels can be used by people with no (or little) prior knowledge. In contrast, Webmin provides a very powerful interface for knowledgeable people to do administrative tasks more easily (and by http).

In short I guess I'm saying that if you don't know how to administer a Linux machine, get a mainstream hosting control panel like cPanel or Plesk and leave Webmin alone.

Thanks for the answer! Maybe I'll buy a laptop and try linux on it with different crap I find on the net. There's too much to learn so I'll concentrate on important things...

Quote Originally Posted by nomorecraphosts
    Thanks for the answer! Maybe I'll buy a laptop and try linux on it with different crap I find on the net. There's too much to learn so I'll concentrate on important things...
    Wish you a good luck

Webmin is a brilliant way to get more server for your money if you firstly know how to manage a server and secondly are only hosting yourself or friends.

Problems arise when you are not a linux guru but *need* to have total control over what you install. Then you need help.. And getting help without a real "real" control panel is not easy, it seems.

Well as a Webmin user I could argue that with a "real" control panel you will never have total control over what is installed

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog
    Someone who has very little knowledge of how a Linux server works will have trouble with Webmin.
    Yes, I had this experience. I got a server at Rackspace, sold by their pitch of fully managed servers, great support, etc. Price is no object, just make it easy I begged.

And they gave me Webmin as the control panel for my server. I couldn't do the simplest things. Puzzling.

Support was indeed impressive, but wow, you need a LOT of support if you don't know Linux and you're trying to work via Webmin.

That was 3-4 years ago. I just checked with their live chat and they have Plesk now, which seems a step in the right direction for serving people who need fully managed.

Still not Cpanel/WHM for some reason.

I am using webmin on one of my custom VPSes. It doesnt use any system resources unless you worked with it. So I am trying to learn it... But i dont recommend you if you dont know any linux knowledge
    Kind regards