Thread: DC in basement?

DC in basement?

Hi! I am considering setting up a small DC (1 or 2 40U racks) in my basement... should I anticipate any possible problems with that?

You will need a fibre optic connection (t1-t3) which will cost thousands, racks, servers, 24x7 CCTV, air conditioning, secure rooms and power backups.
    Those are just a few things you need to get sorted, the main problem will be your internet connection (as we have found out)

OK standard questions

1) Whats your budget?
    2) What about cooling?
    3) What about security?
    4) What about fire supressant?
    5) What about 24x7 onsite support?
    6) What sort of connection?
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Is this for your own internal network or are you planning on making it a web based server? What are you doing with the servers? What's your goal?
    Upload Guardian 2 - Malicious Upload Scanner - Windows and Linux!
    Instantly scan uploaded files
    Get notified when released

Quote Originally Posted by Ramprage
    Is this for your own internal network or are you planning on making it a web based server? What are you doing with the servers? What's your goal?
    I have several big web projects of my own, and also planning to start a hosting business in order to cover expences related to maintainance of my servers...

If you are planning on hosting several big sites and a hosting company which will probably have a few hundred sites, I would not recommend that you do this in your basement at the moment.
    You would be better off renting a rack or dedicated servers in a DC.

Quote Originally Posted by a2b2
    OK standard questions

1) Whats your budget?
    2) What about cooling?
    3) What about security?
    4) What about fire supressant?
    5) What about 24x7 onsite support?
    6) What sort of connection?
    1. How I need?
    2. 2K-3K for 1 room, right?
    3. This is private house, I can do what I want.
    4. I need to reasearch
    5. This is not a problem.
    6. T3 from one backbone provider and T1 for second.
    Total I need 1870$(T3)+250$(T1)+300$(40A)/per month and 10K for maitanance ( 3000(cooling)+2000(flip room)+1000(maybe power)+4000(for someone))
    After 1 year total budjet for 2 racks is: 29000+10000=39000$ for 1=20K, but I have 46Mbit and evrithing is my equipment.
    right? Maybe this is crazy idea, but why I can't thinking about?
    I need spend 2000$/permonth for 1 rack+20A+10Mb total in year=24K

do you think you'll have the type of power you need to move forward? How stable is it in terms of outages?

As for the comment that this is a private house and you can do what you want, that might not be true. Many areas require businesses to obtain permits and, if you are part of a homeowner's association, they would also have to approve it.

You also shouldn't take security lightly. Chances are good that you'll have to have people come (electricians, network consultants) to help you out. When these people know that there's 2 40u of equipment lying in an unprotected basement, that can get you into trouble. On the plus side, it could arguably be protected by your homeowner's insurance -- assuming they take a blind eye to the fact that this is property of your business...

Quote Originally Posted by rohitj
    As for the comment that this is a private house and you can do what you want, that might not be true. Many areas require businesses to obtain permits and, if you are part of a homeowner's association, they would also have to approve it.

You also shouldn't take security lightly. Chances are good that you'll have to have people come (electricians, network consultants) to help you out. When these people know that there's 2 40u of equipment lying in an unprotected basement, that can get you into trouble. On the plus side, it could arguably be protected by your homeowner's insurance -- assuming they take a blind eye to the fact that this is property of your business...
    How I can resolve this problem?

Not that many carriers will deliver a DS3 to a residential home.
    Cost for the fiber build to your home may be significant, and you would have to pay that upfront.

You will never get a full DS3 for $1,870 per month delivered to your home in the US

You are probably underestimating your power costs. UPSs are an extra cost as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 36795811
    How I can resolve this problem?
    Anything can be resolved when you throw LOTS of money at it...

It was going to cost me £11,000 for a T3 line (around $22,000) and that’s with the exchange opposite our office. If your exchange is much further it would mean digging up roads (which you would have to pay for) to place a fibre optic cable into your basement. Then there is the rental of the line!

1.) How large is the electrical service into your house and how much of it are you currently using?
    2.) What is the voltage of your inbound service
    3.) Are you going to address your generator?

...and, like the others, I question if you can get a DS-3 delivered in a residential area. I doubt the LEC would have adequate facilities for this.

As has been mentioned, you're much better off co-locating a rack in a true datacenter. It is difficult to get a T3/DS3 delivered to a residential home for any reasonable price. The $1870 that you quoted sounds extremely low, and would hardly even cover the loop in almost any market, and I can't imagine that figure includes any actual bandwidth usage. Your T1 quote for $250 is possible in some major metro areas, but that's assuming your location is easy for the phone company to get the line to, and it's not going to be enough bandwidth for offering hosting.

Even with the figures you have come up with so far, you can see that it's quite expensive to run a small DC in your basement. On the other hand, you can rent a rack in a real DC with all the power and bandwidth you need for around $1000/month.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I thought about this crazy idea myself but found that in the long run it is easier to just pay a small fee per month to host a server in a DC rather than thousands to set up the whole operation from scratch at home.

This thread has to be a joke, no one would even think about starting a DC in their basement when a rack can be rented in most DC's for less than $900
    ProRack.com
    AmericanDataCenter.com
    NY2 Equinix Secaucus NJ

Quote Originally Posted by ProRack
    This thread has to be a joke, no one would even think about starting a DC in their basement when a rack can be rented in most DC's for less than $900
    Do you know where I can find a rack for this price?

You can find racks for less than $900.00 it is the $250.00 to $350.00 per 20 amps circuit fee and cross connects fees at $200.00 to $300.00 that hurt.

Hi! I am considering setting up a small DC (1 or 2 40U racks) in my basement... should I anticipate any possible problems with that?
    use a cable modem for now, as you grow start thinking about upgrading the line

Thats how i started

You can only really host one server on a cable modem. If you host much more, your servers will be very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Excel Hosting UK
    You can only really host one server on a cable modem. If you host much more, your servers will be very slow.
    agreed but, is a start to understand how it all works

< stepping stone >

Sure can - gigenet is offering a promo on full cabinets w/20 amps for $500/mo. Quite a bit less than $900.00

Quote Originally Posted by mj4589
    Sure can - gigenet is offering a promo on full cabinets w/20 amps for $500/mo. Quite a bit less than $900.00
    you can find any one for colo, the best thing to do is try to find one in your area. That way if you run into problem or need a hardware replace/addon you are near by to do it.

you wont need a full cab for that

you need a budget for power, generators and security. Because everybody wants uninterrupted web.

It's going to cost a lot, so If you're doing it just for your own servers, don't bother.

just imagine what will happen if one of those 1U boxes catch fire while you're out for pizza

you'll come home an hour later and your entire house (and datacenter) will be gone

Quote Originally Posted by EuroVPS/Director
    just imagine what will happen if one of those 1U boxes catch fire while you're out for pizza

you'll come home an hour later and your entire house (and datacenter) will be gone
    make a mini fire sprinkler system above the server/cab.

lol

// imagine what will happen if one of those 1U boxes catch fire

How often does this happen in a data center? I have been working with computers for many years. I have never actually had one "catch fire". I have had components burn out and even smoke but never have an open flame.

I'm sure it can happen, I have just never witnessed it happening.

What is the best protection in this situation? A halon based system possibly? A sprinkler system would take out any hardware that gets wet.

Jeff

>> often does this happen in a data center? I

too often
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120