Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Milk, does it exist Down Under?

I've just had some relatives coming for a visit from Australia. And my teenage cousins are like tiny! I mean, all the boys around 16 are like 5'6" I asked one of them and they said they don't get milk at school So what's going on down under?
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTigger
    I've just had some relatives coming for a visit from Australia. And my teenage cousins are like tiny! I mean, all the boys around 16 are like 5'6" I asked one of them and they said they don't get milk at school So what's going on down under?
    Well, I'm allergic to the stuff and ended up over 6 foot. I don't think it really matters
    Last edited by tickedon; 12-07-2006 at 01:56 PM.
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon
    Well, I'm allergic to the stuff and ended up over 6 foot. I don't think it really matters

Drinking no milk must suck. If you are allergic to milk. I assume you are allergic to cheese too right.

Yeah, probably anything dairy.

We have milk, but you don't get it for free at the canteen. You have to pay for it.

School meals aren't free here either, but milk is just part of school lunches. Every kid know when you go to the cafeteria, you pick up a bottle of milks along with your lunch, and that's the way it's always been for me. Do you let them substitute milk for juice or other type of drinks?

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    Yeah, probably anything dairy.
    Yep Everyone always goes "oh-no, no ice cream!" forgetting I've never had the stuff, never liked it, and thus, can't miss it

We have milk, but you don't get it for free at the canteen. You have to pay for it.
    I'm sure this was maybe the case 20 years ago in UK schools. Then we entered the junk-food era with soda and such like being sold, although that's stopping now with new government legislation - no fizzy drinks at all are allowed to be sold and all food is meant to be healthy (gone are the chips/fries, pizzas, burgers and other wonders of my time!) - interesting that all this 'healthy eating' stuff makes for a huge downturn in the number of people having school lunch in the canteens in the UK. The students are revolting by the looks of it, and you know, I don't really blame them - who wants food forced on them? Choice is the way to do it
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Pretty sure when I was at Primary School we got free milk during the morning break, but I've not really heard much about it recently. I'm guessing it's not given out like when I was at school.

Just found this - http://www.milkforschools.org.uk/ - still can't quite work out if that means kids do get milk now though!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    Pretty sure when I was at Primary School we got free milk during the morning break, but I've not really heard much about it recently. I'm guessing it's not given out like when I was at school.

Just found this - http://www.milkforschools.org.uk/ - still can't quite work out if that means kids do get milk now though!
    I also remember getting free milk every school day in primary school, there was a program funded by the government and every morning our teacher would come in with a big case of milk for the whole class.

I guess I have to thank them for being 6'4 today and my momma
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

In the title, "fighting for.." - suggests they want it, but, aren't there yet. At least, not everywhere.
    Alasdair

Well it's certainly a good idea, and for kids who can't have dairy they should be offered something like orange juice instead.
    Steve

Well it's certainly a good idea, and for kids who can't have dairy they should be offered something like orange juice instead.
    Good idea, there's also the Tropicana Orange Juice with added calcium.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Milk?

what are you on about
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Our school always had milk...three different choices of it actually. I never really liked the water at our school anyways--always a milk fan.

Average height I'd say of my high school graduating class for guys was around 6'2...I'm 6'4. I doubt this has anything to do with the milk though.
    Christian Koehler
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting
    +1.866.5RACKED (ext. 802)

Does milk really helps? I'm 5"4 and I'm 18
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Plenty of milk here.

The Mrs buys our milk straight from the dairy. Although occassionally we have bought milk from the supermarket.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

I drink loads of milk! I love it, and I'm 6"5

Quote Originally Posted by Zafar Ahmed
    Does milk really helps? I'm 5"4 and I'm 18
    Eh, yes it does, milk helped me became the 5'9" that I am, given that I was mal nurish and didn't get milk until I was 8. Then I shot up like a giant! Got Milk?

Back to the original question, hey Bob, does your kids get milk or have a "Milk Culture" at school?

My highschool sells it's milk for dirt cheap, actually loses money each day on it, so kids will choose it. Since, pop is much cheaper than the milk at it's regular price.

I used to buy a burger and orange juice, they stopped selling soft drink..

*scowls*

i am 6'1 and take milk 2 times a day does that say something
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

To the best of my knowledge, milk is no longer provided in Australian schools. It was when I was going, phased out then made a short comeback when my kids started school, but I am not aware that it is available now. More and more schools (from the poorer areas) have a breakfast offered for kids who wouldn't normaly get brekky at home. I would assume that includes milk

If the widespread drought continues and more cows slaughtered because they can't be sold, we may need to start importing milk from NZ

Was in place in nursery, but not Primary or High School. So basically, when I was under the age of 5, I got milk for free.

Never really liked drinking milk anyway! 6'1" anyway.

I'm pretty sure that in my day (I am 36), milk was probably healthier. I dont ever remember the stink and watered down taste that milk has these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude
    I'm pretty sure that in my day (I am 36), milk was probably healthier. I dont ever remember the stink and watered down taste that milk has these days.
    It's because of the low fatness of milk. It's very difficult to get whole milk nowaday, I couldn't find a single chocolate milk container that was whole milk, they were all 2% fat . That's why you're noticing the difference, low fat and non fat milk taste yucky.

Really? Around here there is still plenty of whole milk sold at Walmart and HEB. I get it (Bordens) for the kids. Then again, I remember when I started drinking store milk, I had to get used to it. Before that, I lived in the country where people had milk cows and sold locally. They didnt pump the cows & their food full of chemicals. I had some really strong bones back then. We were pulling an engine (454) when I was a teen, the chain broke and it fell about 8 inches onto my wrist and pinned it to the metal of the car. The doctor said I should have had serious damage, but had nothing but a small hairline crack that could just barely be seen on xray. I was drinking about half gallon a day back then. Rarely drink it anymore. I'm sure beer and cokes hasnt done well for my bones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast