Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WHMCS or ModernBill

Hey Guys,

Have researched the following extensively, and still can't decide. Once I pick one billing package I'll be kind of stuck with it... I'm thinking WHMCS has slightly more functionality... What do we all think?

Modernbill 4.0x surpasses WHMCS functionality - so does ClientExec. Alot of people are going with WHMCS for it's simple interface and ease of setting up but most likely will find over time that as their company grows, they will need a much more robust billing system able to handle the demands and growth of your company.

If you want something that will grow with your company, use software that is been put through the test with real world companies. Modernbill (I also like Ubersmith) is a great product that is rich in features. I would steer away from the v5.1 for awhile until they can get it up to par with v4.x.

I know this will be slammed - but when I see WHMCS being used, the first thing I think of is a newbie startup company that sacrifices function for simplicity.

Okay ... I am now in the dunking booth - grab your baseballs - and begin throwing them.

Hey love what you are saying, I think constructive critisicm is good! Many people will just say on here 'WHCMS is the best" as the reply. That's not helpful...

Was wondering though if you could be a little more specific... What could MB do that WHCMS can't? People say that it is good that WHCMS is so young and already so good, meaning that by the time it made it to V5 would be unbelievable, what do you think?

Possibly - but then - it's not there yet and you need something now. Play around with the demos of both. I suppose if you are looking for simplicity when hosting then WHCMS might be a product worth looking into. You should also be able to pull up some feature charts of both and do a side by side comparison.

What many like about WHCMS is the helpdesk option which is nice in some regards. I guess it also might come down to what is in your budget. If you go with MB, you will need to also get a helpdesk like Kayako.

I don't want to steer you away from WHCMS - I just think MB is a bit more powerful.

Have you not tried a trial version of each yet? That usually gives a good indication of which you like to use.

While I agree Modernbill may be more powerful, the thing that let it down for me earlier was the bugs in 5.0 and some features still not being present. They may have implemented them now but it is far too late.
    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!

Hey Guys,

Well in the comparison on WHMCS, it looks like a winner. Is it a valid comparison though? Legally they wouldn't be allowed to lie correct? http://www.whmcs.com/comparison.php

Quote Originally Posted by tomyknoker
    Hey Guys,

Well in the comparison on WHMCS, it looks like a winner. Is it a valid comparison though? Legally they wouldn't be allowed to lie correct? http://www.whmcs.com/comparison.php
    Ah, you made my shopping a lot easier

But I'll have to wait until WHMCS release their next version which incorporate tax system in the billing, as we're in Australia and must do GST stuff.

I would use WHMCS - I love it, and I do not like MB too much.
    Ryan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by tomyknoker
    Hey Guys,

Well, they do lie.

The following things ARE in ClientExec that they say aren't:

- Full Email Piping Support
    - Announcements
    - Server Status
    - Create Reseller Accounts
    - Product Sales
    - Recurring Income Summary
    - Support Tickets Summary
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H
    Well, they do lie.
    Come to think of it same with ModernBill having these features that WHMCS says they don't.

- 2CheckOut
    - Mail In Payment
    - Announcements
    - Every Page Editable by Templates
    - Multiple Order Form Templates
    - Almost All The Reports

yeah, there comparison chart is extremely "BIASED".

I noticed many things ModernBill has that they list it doesn't.

Some of it, rather than be factual, they list only what "THEY SUPPORT" so they don't have to list the others.

Take Fraud Protection.

They support MaxMind, well ModernBill doesn't support MaxMind but it does support Fraud Guardian......

You all have to admit that you have no idea when that list was made. I can tell you for a fact that MB did not support those things at the time the list was made. Thats because v5 was crap at the time (still is IMHO) and barely had any features when it was first released. Matt should probably update his chart or at least list the date of when it was made.

Quote Originally Posted by MACscr
    You all have to admit that you have no idea when that list was made. I can tell you for a fact that MB did not support those things at the time the list was made. Thats because v5 was crap at the time (still is IMHO) and barely had any features when it was first released. Matt should probably update his chart or at least list the date of when it was made.
    Sorry, but you must not have any clue or knowledge about MB, because MB V5 was not the first version of ModernBill nor is it the only available "retail" version of ModernBill.

MB V4 is still available which contains all the features that they say are missing.

MB V5 will have, and already has 99% of, the features of MB V4.

If they are going to do a comparison then they need to do it properly off what "IS" available.

And I'm sorry to say this but I've compared both MB 5 and WHMCS.

If you are a small company that wants very basic AR functions WHMCS or WHMAP will suit you fine.

But if you intend to grow and need more indepth "real accounting" then MB V5 is the best choice.

Even MB V4 has more options and configuration functions than WHMCS.

And for that matter I'm not going to entrust a detrimental part of my business to company who isn't even willing to put up an "About Us" page that lists basic company information including a "Physical Address" and phone number.

The one thing I don't like about ClientExec is it's slowness in loading. I do have to agree with jerett, WHMCS is very easy to use and very basic for the "new hoster". Most resellers, or first time web hosting companies try to stay away from billing systems such as modernbill because they don't want to take the time to read a manual for each item, rather than clicking a few buttons and it's done via whmcs.

I've used whmcs, clientexec, and modernbill. I am currently sticking with modernbill because of it's flexibility and order form uniqueness. You can customize modernbill to the point you don't even know it's modernbill, rather your own system.

Both whmcs and modernbill are great systems, it's just your preference.
    VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

Quote Originally Posted by SelectByte
    The one thing I don't like about ClientExec is it's slowness in loading. I do have to agree with jerett, WHMCS is very easy to use and very basic for the "new hoster". Most resellers, or first time web hosting companies try to stay away from billing systems such as modernbill because they don't want to take the time to read a manual for each item, rather than clicking a few buttons and it's done via whmcs.

I've used whmcs, clientexec, and modernbill. I am currently sticking with modernbill because of it's flexibility and order form uniqueness. You can customize modernbill to the point you don't even know it's modernbill, rather your own system.

Both whmcs and modernbill are great systems, it's just your preference.
    Can WHMCS be customised so that it is integrated flawlessly into your own website and the user can't tell? Or does MB do this better?

Not as easy or as well done. You will always be able to tell it's whmcs unless someone did some heavy modifications to the code itself (which is impossible as last time I used it most of the code was encrypted). Modernbill has different order groups use different templates (option setting but I like it), you can also easily change the table colors via the control panel.

Overall features on modernbill out number whmcs, but like I said if you want something easy to use that can get you up in running in less than 20min then whmcs is for you.
    HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

Hmmm well I basically wanted to set up something similar to the way you order hosting packages from Media Temple, I can't do this with WHMCS... Can I do it with MB? https://ac.mediatemple.net/order/domain.mt

Yes this is possible, it will take some knowledge of their template system and playing around with the tables but yes I'm sure it can be done. For the best answer to your question I would advise you take a look at their forums, their support on there is outstanding.

Thanks

Try AWBS
    It is nott complex as Modernbill
    Hans Comequick
    http://now1host.com
    Now One Host // Instant Activation //Free Setup //One Big Usefull Packet
    //You get Fast Servers //You get Helpfull Stuff

Hi,

After reading this I thought I better stick up for WHMCS!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H
    The following things ARE in ClientExec that they say aren't:

- Full Email Piping Support
    - Announcements
    - Server Status
    - Create Reseller Accounts
    - Product Sales
    - Recurring Income Summary
    - Support Tickets Summary
    Full Email Piping Support - No, CE do not have this according to the features list - if an email comes from an email address that is not registered to a customer in your system then no ticket is created - that isn't full support - that's client only support

Server Status - Looks like this may have added something relating to this recently - can't find any details about it on their site though

Announcements - viewable to logged in clients, but not viewable to potential customers as in WHMCS

Create Reseller Accounts - couldn't find anything on the CE site about this one - I was under the impression from past users of CE that it did not fully configure permissions for a reseller account in cpanel

Reports - obviously there will be some similar kinds of things and they will change frequently but I doubt they provide the exact same information

I would also like to point out that should anyone contact us regarding an inconsistency in the chart then it will be duely corrected but the chart is based on information attained from the websites of these other products for their latest releases.

Quote Originally Posted by XSI-Larry
    yeah, there comparison chart is extremely "BIASED".

I noticed many things ModernBill has that they list it doesn't.

They support MaxMind, well ModernBill doesn't support MaxMind but it does support Fraud Guardian......
    As the list is a comparison of the features in WHMCS to other systems, I don't see why you would expect the features of other systems to appear in the list if they aren't supported by WHMCS!

Not as easy or as well done. You will always be able to tell it's whmcs unless someone did some heavy modifications to the code itself (which is impossible as last time I used it most of the code was encrypted). Modernbill has different order groups use different templates (option setting but I like it), you can also easily change the table colors via the control panel.
    Ok, so ModernBill is easier to customise than WHMCS. So why do so many people choose not to customise from the default - for example your site at http://billing.selectbyte.com/ which looks the same as https://www.deftechgroup.com/billing/ which looks the same as https://illusionfxnet.com/billing/index.php etc... While it is true you can customise it, it is a much more difficult and complex task and for that reason many people don't bother.

You would much more easily integrate WHMCS into your website and it is designed for this unlike CE and MB which have "portal" type systems which require a complete re-work to make look like your site. All you have to do is take a look at the showcase section of our forums where people have integrated WHMCS into their site and you can see the ease with which it can match a site. I would say, and I think a lot would agree, that it's much easier to identify a CE or MB install.

WHMCS is very easy to use and very basic for the "new hoster". Most resellers, or first time web hosting companies try to stay away from billing systems such as modernbill because they don't want to take the time to read a manual for each item, rather than clicking a few buttons and it's done via whmcs.
    So because the system is easier to use means it has less features? I don't follow that logic. WHMCS has many billing features - one time/recurring cycles, prorata billing, one time/recurring coupons, stock management, automatic setup on first payment, over 20 payment gateways, one of the most flexible invoicing systems, individual price overides per customer, etc... But just because its easier to use and you don't need to pay someone to install and configure it and take a week out to set everything up it's not as good? And here's me thinking making it easy to use was a good thing!

This is not intended to say WHMCS is better than any of the other systems mentioned but just to reply to some of the issues raised in this thread.

Matt
    Last edited by WHMCS-Matt; 12-09-2006 at 08:06 AM.
    WHMCompleteSolution
    The Complete Client Management, Billing & Support System
    www.whmcs.com

Hey Matt... Thanks for the post, Was hoping you'd clear some things up. Alot of negative opinions here but no actual evidence...

When will WHMCS not require register globals to be enabled?
    Edit: I am not sure if it still requires this, it did last time I checked but it doesn't seem to list it as a requirement in the manual. I'll have to check this out further if it doesn't.
    Last edited by carlgm; 12-09-2006 at 08:18 AM.

Hi,

It does still require Register Globals. You should just be able to enable register globals on the WHMCS directory using a php.ini or .htaccess file and then this will not mean you need to change anything server wide. The register globals security issue is an issue in poorly coded scripts but removing register globals only makes it slightly more difficult for a hacker - if they want to attempt to hack a system it's still easy for them to post information to the script. It's all down to what sanitization checks are done on the submitted data as to whether there is a security issue.

Matt
    WHMCompleteSolution
    www.whmcs.com

I wouldn't use none of these as they a bit to classical. WHMCS isn't that easy to use, well it is easy but doesnt look to good. I would prefer clientexec and ihostdev as they look really nice and professional and are really good.

No ETA on when it wont require register globals?

Quote Originally Posted by whmcs
    As the list is a comparison of the features in WHMCS to other systems, I don't see why you would expect the features of other systems to appear in the list if they aren't supported by WHMCS!
    I'm sorry, but if your site basically claims you have "Fraud Protection" and they don't. That is biased and unethical. Your site also claims you have features ModernBill doesn't, that is flat lieing.

Ok, so ModernBill is easier to customise than WHMCS. So why do so many people choose not to customise from the default - for example your site at http://billing.selectbyte.com/ which looks the same as https://www.deftechgroup.com/billing/ which looks the same as https://illusionfxnet.com/billing/index.php etc... While it is true you can customise it, it is a much more difficult and complex task and for that reason many people don't bother.
    It's a 5 to 10 minute job at most to customize the front end "IF" people choose. They choose not to, that has nothing to do with the complexity of customizing it.

It is not hard to customize that front page at all, but I guess you haven't taken the time to truly compare your software to your competitors.

You never did handle the issue that if you list no contact information on your site other than the site itself, not even a physical address.

If I have 1,500 clients and have a problem at least with ModernBill I can choose to pay to get someone on the phone.

Or, if I have a problem with that, I can fly to Kentucky and speak to them directly.

Aside from all that, I don't know which is better, but when a company lists "NOTHING" about there company and then lists a deceptive, biased comparison chart and even lies on it, I'm not going to deal with them.

I'm sorry, but if your site basically claims you have "Fraud Protection" and they don't. That is biased and unethical. Your site also claims you have features ModernBill doesn't, that is flat lieing.
    Our site does not claim WHMCS has Fraud Protection and ModernBill does not. All it says on the comparison chart is that we support MaxMind and ModernBill do not. This is purely based on the facts.

It's a 5 to 10 minute job at most to customize the front end "IF" people choose. They choose not to, that has nothing to do with the complexity of customizing it.

It is not hard to customize that front page at all, but I guess you haven't taken the time to truly compare your software to your competitors.
    True, I have never personally tried to customise it. I never said you can't do it anyway - just that it appears most don't indicating it is not as easy as you make out.

You never did handle the issue that if you list no contact information on your site other than the site itself, not even a physical address.
    As many people will be aware, WHMCS is not the size of ModernBill... yet. We therefore do not have a business office and as the lead developer, I don't particularly want anyone turning up at my house with issues relating to WHMCS. We do have a company information page (excluding an address) - the link is on the sitemap page. We provide communication by ticket, email, and phone by request for any issues anyone may have.

Matt
    WHMCompleteSolution
    www.whmcs.com

Our site does not claim WHMCS has Fraud Protection and ModernBill does not. All it says on the comparison chart is that we support MaxMind and ModernBill do not. This is purely based on the facts.
    PERCEPTION - the way Your list is laid out it "PERCIEVES" this claim, especially if it were a new user that didn't know there was more than one type of Fraud System (and yes this could happen).

True, I have never personally tried to customise it. I never said you can't do it anyway - just that it appears most don't indicating it is not as easy as you make out.
    You know the meaning of assume, right? Most people don't do it because they don't see the need, literally. Ask those hosts why it isn't customized and most of them would probably tell you they have never tried.

As many people will be aware, WHMCS is not the size of ModernBill... yet. We therefore do not have a business office and as the lead developer, I don't particularly want anyone turning up at my house with issues relating to WHMCS. We do have a company information page (excluding an address) - the link is on the sitemap page. We provide communication by ticket, email, and phone by request for any issues anyone may have.

Matt
    As a person who had never been to the site I found no information about the company, I haven't looked since you provided the link, but company information should be very easily found when looking at software that manages money.

That's another point. Technically, FraudGuardian *is* MaxMind. ModernBill simply buys a whole bunch of queries in bulk from MaxMind, charges an outrageous price, and labels it as their own product. Private label reselling

Full Email Piping Support - No, CE do not have this according to the features list - if an email comes from an email address that is not registered to a customer in your system then no ticket is created - that isn't full support - that's client only support
    Which is exactly what some of us are looking for. I don't want non-clients emailing my support department.

Server Status - Looks like this may have added something relating to this recently - can't find any details about it on their site though
    They added an entire module for this and even a cron service that will email you if your load goes above a certain amount etc.

Announcements - viewable to logged in clients, but not viewable to potential customers as in WHMCS
    I beg to differ. https://secure.dedisolutions.com/pub...ouncements.php

Create Reseller Accounts - couldn't find anything on the CE site about this one - I was under the impression from past users of CE that it did not fully configure permissions for a reseller account in cpanel
    I believe support for reseller accounts was added in 2.6 which set all the proper permissions. The only flaw was that it did not set the disk space/bandwidth allowances, which was fixed in 2.7.

Reports - obviously there will be some similar kinds of things and they will change frequently but I doubt they provide the exact same information
    So you're better because you throw in a couple extra bits of information?

So customers can make an informed decision about what WHMCS does and does not have

Originally Posted by tomyknoker

Hey Guys,
    That comparison is a blatant lie. ModernBill does have Announcements, bank transfer, offline cc processing, recurring income reports, signups reports. They are lying left in right in the comparison, as for the means of payment some of those aren't yet available in mb v5 but they are available to use in v4.
    Plutomic Hosting
    Empowering Your Web Ventures
    In Business Since 2005
    Specializing in Web Hosting, VPS, Managed Dedicated Servers and Managed Colocation

The only thing I don't like whmcs is that you need to pay extra $74.95 to remove the "powered by" line.

all i can say is don't listen to people, make up your own mind on what you want and WHAT YOU think is good for company because to be honest, no one on this site cares if you succeed in fact they hope you don't.

It all comes down to preferance and thats it!

I went from WHMAP to modernbill to client exec and now WHMCS and of coarse i like WHMCS the best.

No one on this site can flame me for that because i didnt say it was better, just better for me and my customers.

I had MB fully customized with kayako integration and all, the whole nine yards.

Sorry but guess what? it sucked...... And when you need help modernbill support is almost as bad as kayako support.

Client Exec would be my second recommendation to you.
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

and matt dont listen to these people especially larry who is annoying to no end.

your regular mr. know-it-all

I completely customized WHMCS in amatter of minutes and have it fully integrated into my site.

it was easier then MB, it would take some HEAVY modification to make the entire client login side of MB to fit into your site, WHMCS, nope easy they kept its very minimal yet very informative and easy to navigate for the customer. Yeah the front page is easy larry, wow good for you and them, you can make a customized login page. But once logged in it says modernbill all over the place and matt is right, everyone's installation of modernbill looks the same.
    - Steve D
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.

I recommend you go for WHMCS and if you are new in the business choose one of the monthly prices. And for $16.95 per month you can get a non-branded copy for your business. So when you start making pretty good profit, get rid of the monthly plan and buy an owned copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hades
    and matt dont listen to these people especially larry who is annoying to no end.

your regular mr. know-it-all

I completely customized WHMCS in amatter of minutes and have it fully integrated into my site.

it was easier then MB, it would take some HEAVY modification to make the entire client login side of MB to fit into your site, WHMCS, nope easy they kept its very minimal yet very informative and easy to navigate for the customer. Yeah the front page is easy larry, wow good for you and them, you can make a customized login page. But once logged in it says modernbill all over the place and matt is right, everyone's installation of modernbill looks the same.
    Hades, you should learn not to personally attack others.

WHMCS has it's downfalls like every other product.

My biggest turn off from them was the comparison chart which in areas is false and in others is misleading.

Aside from that, we went with ModernBill for business choice reasons. We can reach ModernBill on a phone in a time of Emergency, WHMCS, ClientExec, and many others don't offer that.

We use Kayako SupportSuite which has consistently, and is almost completely now, been integrated with ModernBill.

And there are other reasons, but I won't get into those as I have no reason to.

I was playing devils advocate because they were trying to continue the falsity claims of there software compared to others.

They wouldn't simply say, Okay maybe we made a mistake and need to re-evaluate. It was "No, everything on there is the truth" even though some of it is blatant lies.

I really need to say something here regarding what Hades said about ModernBill's visibility of "ModernBill" everywhere.

MB 4 was hard to customize, I don't disagree there. But MB 5 took me less than 5 minutes to remove all ModernBill appearances on the "Client" end.

I had to create two logos and edit two template files, which were very easy to find and to find the spot it says "Logo" on it.

After reviewing the files I could take about 30 minutes and integrate our Header and Footer into the client front end without a problem.

It's turning into a battle. All against WHMCS. Well I'm playing with the demo, and it looks like WHMAP but better IMO. Going to try it out, then if all is well, get a refugee coupon

I am currently running the trials for whmap and whmcs. Due to my lack of knowledge, I needed minor support from whmcs. Even though I was only a trial version customer, the tickets were responded to in a very quick, polite and informative manner.

I can't give an intelligent comparison yet, because I am only trying the packages.

I will make sure I download MB to try it as well.

My problem is that I have 'no time' at all ... and so, the criticisms that whmcs is too simple and only good if you want a solution 'you can set up in 20 minutes' (i think someone said that) .... those criticisms are actually good sales points in my situation.

In any event, I thought my experience of the quick and helpful responses from whmcs support deserved mention (especially since i am only a trial version freeloader at this point).

Hades, you should learn not to personally attack others.

WHMCS has it's downfalls like every other product.

My biggest turn off from them was the comparison chart which in areas is false and in others is misleading.

Aside from that, we went with ModernBill for business choice reasons. We can reach ModernBill on a phone in a time of Emergency, WHMCS, ClientExec, and many others don't offer that.

We use Kayako SupportSuite which has consistently, and is almost completely now, been integrated with ModernBill.

And there are other reasons, but I won't get into those as I have no reason to.

I was playing devils advocate because they were trying to continue the falsity claims of there software compared to others.

They wouldn't simply say, Okay maybe we made a mistake and need to re-evaluate. It was "No, everything on there is the truth" even though some of it is blatant lies.
    sorry i felt you were personally attacking matt and his software he worked hard on.

But i can see we are both better then that so no hard feelings?

And i give the benefit of the doubt because i didnt even try MB 5, i had too many problems with V4 and like i said support was horrible. I did a lot of customization that you admitted was not easy so upgrading to v5 was a task i was not inthe mood for.

So i scrapped MB all together.

But i will say one last time, its a matter of preference or what YOU need, not whats the standard or the best or what gets the more votes.

i say try them all and settle for the one you like the best, for me it was WHMCS, i went through WHMAP, modernbill and client exec to find that out.
    - Steve D
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hades
    sorry i felt you were personally attacking matt and his software he worked hard on.
    My attack wasn't on him or the software. They need to truly evaluate there competition and put up a real comparison chart or not put one up at all IMHO.

If I hadn't seen a comparison chart that lists thinks like that one I wouldn't have posted some of the things I did.

Thinks like them saying ModernBill doesn't:

2CheckOut
    Bank Transfer
    Offline Credit Card
    Announcements
    Disk Space/Bandwidth Usage Import
    Product Sales
    Server Revenue Breakdown
    Daily Activity
    Documentation for Custom Modules (No longer paid, hasn't been since V5 was released)
    Encrypted Server Passwords

These are just the ones I am sure of, I wasn't sure on the other reports and haven't had enough coffee yet this morning so didn't feel like checking.

Much of what I just listed has been available since V4 also.

My "ONLY" problem with WHMCS is this. It isn't a product I use or intend to use, so I can't comment on it's usability.

I can comment when people are comparing it to ModernBill V4 or V5 and making claims against what ModernBill can or can't do.

Aside from preference it also comes down to the direction your business is headed. ModernBill offers paid training in there software, telephone support if necessary, development services for custom additions into the software, and more.

WHMCS doesn't offer any of this as of yet, which makes a difference if you are looking at the long-term.

I intend on sending our accountant down for training at ModernBill sometime next year, I couldn't do this with WHMCS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast