Hello there,

I'm currently working for an IT Consultancy which have been, up until now, rolling out DELL rack servers to all our customers (some of which have been running 5 years), with the only failure being harddrives when they have hit around 4 years old.

Looking at the DELL website now, it seems their servers are going very SATA/SATA II/SAS based.... while we are looking more for U320 based servers.

Since dell no longer seems to have support for this we are looking for new servers to deploy to new customers.

I have been looking at HP Proliant servers, and there is a 1U and 2U model, both do u320. We are thinking about using these servers, the 1U models for the smaller sites (which only need two harddrives in a mirror) and the 2U model with either 4 or 6 harddrives for bigger sites.

Has anyone had any experience with the following HP Servers:

HP ProLiant DL360 G4p (1U model)
HP ProLiant DL380 G4 (2U model)

We will be expecting 3 years trouble free operation from the servers, eg, no harddrive issues. We are happy to replace harddrives after 3 years and would expect another 2 years, if not 3 years operation from the servers, assuming the hardware is still powerful enough for their purpose.

With DELL this has never been a problem.

Also, does anyone know of any other Server Manufactorers which would cater for what we are looking for. I also checked out SUN servers but havent really found much in the U320 department there either.