Setting Up A Mail Server

I am a newb when it comes to mail - I understand the very basics, but would like to learn more. I would like to setup postfix with spam assasin and pop3. Can anyone recommend any good guides for doing so? I am running FreeBSD 6.x.

Also, I hear dbmail is pretty nice. Does anyone use dmail? If so, whats your take?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a *nix admin, but following article should be helpful to setup your mail system...

Fighting Spam with SpamAssassin and Postfix
    Muhammad Waseem
    Inspedium Corporation (Pvt) Ltd.
    InsPanel - Hosting Control Panel for Windows 2000/2003

Postfix only handles SMTP, so you'll need to choose another application to handle your POP3 needs. I think Dovecot, qpopper, and courier-pop3d are fairly popular. You could probably also use inetd (i.e. your systems built-in pop3d, if it has one).

if your looking for a nice webmail solution, try squirrel mail.
    its simple and works very well.

as for pop3, we use qpopper with mailscanner, it tags spam subjects so you
    can filter them out.
    http://parked.net -100% Google Adsense Revenue | http://viphotels.co.uk - Worldwide VIP Hotels

I am probably going to go with postfix and courier pop3 as well as spamassasin. I'd like to also store the virtual hosts and such in a database.

Can anyone recommend a good guide for doing this on FreeBSD? This will be my first time ever setting up mail.

My setup is pretty basic. I have 3-4 domains with about 3 email addresses each.

Check out postfixadmin. It is set up to handle mysql based mail accounts with an ok php front end for managing accounts.

Running a mail server is a ton of work, I've probably just spent the last 4 days just working on optimizing spamassassin and its spam rules.

Quote Originally Posted by NIX_Solutions
    You can find useful docs at freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?p=137857#post137857
    There are many of them. And as you've said you're doing this installation first time - we recommend you to use few various docs to see the possible realizations.
    Thanks I will take a look.

thx for the post i really needed help on this too