Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    475

    Just got a speeding ticket... how bad am I off?

    Doing 56 in a 30 (which is a 6 point violation in NY state)... I don't have any valid excuse. Any idea how much this is gonna cost me? It doesnt say on the ticket and I can't find out anything on the website because it says to basically wait and see after you send in your plea.

    Next question; is there any reason to not plea not guilty on the small chance that the officer doesnt show up... you get a kind judge... etc?

    Third question; how bad is this gonna hurt me on my car insurance?

    Final question; whats your best excuse why you were speeding? The reason why I was speeding was mostly because i have 3 finals tomorrow and I needed to get some food fast so I could get back to my studying. Lame excuse but its true.

    Thanks guys
    -Chris

    P.S. I dont need anyone to tell me 'you deserve it' 'you shouldnt be going so fast' etc etc- I know. Thanks
    Course-Notes.Org

    US History US Government and Politics| Note Outlines Vocab
    Euro History Psychology Econonomics | Forum Study Guides

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,920
    No there's no reason to plead not guilty when you're guilty
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,852
    Isn't the 6 point violation the second highest violation? Because I know it goes like 1-5 over, 5-10 over, etc, then 25+ over is the second or the worst?

    I forgot what the next violation point is, but I thought you lost your licence when you got 6 points. Maybe it's 7 points on your licence?

    I know my friend got caught going ~80 in a 55, which is 25+ over, and the cop who pulled him over only wrote him up for 10-15 over because he was honest that he was going that fast.

    I try and go the speed limit all of the time - but I don't understand why everyone is in a rush to get 30 seconds to a minute faster to get something. Most of the time I'm behind them at the next stoplight anyway.

    Edit:

    on the small chance that the officer doesnt show up... you get a kind judge... etc?
    I think you are not taking this seriously enough. You got caught going 26mph over - that's like going 100mph on the highway. It's not just a slap on the wrist, and I would put almost everything that a judge won't be kind on 26mph over. It wasn't an accident that you were going 26mph...you know what you were doing and that it was wrong, so just do the right thing and plead guilty.
    Last edited by Mark L; 12-07-2006 at 03:01 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    475
    Its actually the 3rd worst out of 5. The next up is 31-40 and then the one after that is 40+. To have your license revoked you need to have 11 points on your record. So its not as bad as youre thinking.
    Course-Notes.Org

    US History US Government and Politics| Note Outlines Vocab
    Euro History Psychology Econonomics | Forum Study Guides

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,852
    But still 26mph over wasn't an accident on your part.

  6. #6
    Don't fight the ticket; fight the points--that's what does the most damage. In my experiences, I've asked the judge if I could just pay the ticket without accruing points, and it was a done deal.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,852
    Well that doesn't make sense. How could you pay the ticket without having any record of it at all? :| That's surprising.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,920
    Or just suck it up, pay what your fined and don't speed. if you obey the laws it shouldn't matter what points you have as long as you're still under the suspension amount.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    475
    Mark L- its responses like yours that I specifically requested not to get. For the record, it was on an open road, there were no other cars on it other then the officer and I had complete control of the vehicle at all times. Does that make it right? No. Does it make it safer/more responsible? Yes.
    Course-Notes.Org

    US History US Government and Politics| Note Outlines Vocab
    Euro History Psychology Econonomics | Forum Study Guides

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by CLKeenan
    Doing 56 in a 30 (which is a 6 point violation in NY state)... I don't have any valid excuse. Any idea how much this is gonna cost me? It doesnt say on the ticket and I can't find out anything on the website because it says to basically wait and see after you send in your plea.

    Next question; is there any reason to not plea not guilty on the small chance that the officer doesnt show up... you get a kind judge... etc?

    Third question; how bad is this gonna hurt me on my car insurance?

    Final question; whats your best excuse why you were speeding? The reason why I was speeding was mostly because i have 3 finals tomorrow and I needed to get some food fast so I could get back to my studying. Lame excuse but its true.

    Thanks guys
    -Chris

    P.S. I dont need anyone to tell me 'you deserve it' 'you shouldnt be going so fast' etc etc- I know. Thanks
    Don't just roll over and pay it!!! I've had plenty of tickets and got away with paying the fine after attending some class, not offending again within X years, or performing community service... the state does not even report it to your insurance, since it is wiped clean from your record.

    NC, has a law that "gives" you one free ticket every X years (I think the lawyer said 9 years or something). Alabama, you have to take a "driving class." Several states are like this.

    Judges hear 100 excuses a day... it only pisses them off, unless "really" valid (sick child at school, or family member in hospital dieing). Begging the court for leniency BEFORE you go to trial is the way to go. Contact the prosecutor handling your case. Be nice to the secretary or clerk that answers the phone at the court house.... Repeat to everyone how nice and professional the police officer was (don't over do it though).

    Call some lawyers out of the phone book and ask if NY has anything like this for first offenders. Lawyers will provide this information free.

    All of my experiences are from down south, and Philly (PA), so I’m not sure if NY has some similar laws for first time offenders. But you have to ask!!! A prosecutor or judge is not going to ask if you want to take a class, in my experience anyway.

    Of course, you could have the experience I had in MS… the judge told me that I sounded educated and rich so I should pay the fine and not waste his time. But, of course, I made the mistake of asking in a live courtroom. I was a newbie… but I’ve never been so embarrassed in all my life (up to that point anyway). Get this stuff before you go to court....

    Another way is to simply pay an attorney to make it "go away." I've done this a couple of times as well. It costs... but cheaper than paying extra for insurance for x number of years.
    Last edited by hekwu; 12-07-2006 at 04:03 AM.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,920
    Quote Originally Posted by CLKeenan
    Mark L- its responses like yours that I specifically requested not to get. For the record, it was on an open road, there were no other cars on it other then the officer and I had complete control of the vehicle at all times. Does that make it right? No. Does it make it safer/more responsible? Yes.
    if you don't want negative comments, don't post. It's not up to you to decide what people do and don't replly with.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    475
    Thank you Hekwu for the informative post. I'm good friends with my university's head legal attorney so I plan on dropping him an email and seeing what the best plan of action would be. I already plan on pleading not guilty but I want to see if theres any first time rules (this would apply to me... I've had my license for over 3 years with no violations) or any plea options (I'd be more than happy to do a traffic class than to see an increase in my already expensive insurance).

    -Chris
    Course-Notes.Org

    US History US Government and Politics| Note Outlines Vocab
    Euro History Psychology Econonomics | Forum Study Guides

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    if you don't want negative comments, don't post. It's not up to you to decide what people do and don't replly with.
    I could be wrong but replying with negative, unwanted comments that were specifically requests not to be posted would constitute trolling and flame baiting.
    Course-Notes.Org

    US History US Government and Politics| Note Outlines Vocab
    Euro History Psychology Econonomics | Forum Study Guides

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    4,028
    Man, I wish I didn't speed... ever... such as many of these posters.

    I speed all the time, most people do. You just got caught. Although I don't have any advice, never roll over and take it. You can ALWAYS ease the pain somehow. Your comments about speaking to your university's head legal attorney sound like the best thing you can do at this point.

    Also, does the U.S not have offices such as these?

    http://www.ontariotraffictickets.com/

    Good luck man. Slow down next time (so I can pass you!)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,663
    Here is my advice: going 26 miles more than the speed limit is dangerous. And your reason is nowhere near good enough to justify that to any reasonable person (I am not talking about court here, I would fight the ticket but rather trying to give you some advice on driving). You can drive ten miles more than the speed limit and be safe, but not 26. Here is how I think about it - what is worse? I spend a bit more time or I get into an accident and have to pay for a new car and possibly damage my health? The second one is always worse in my mind. Anything over 12 miles above the speed limit is just stupid, the result is not justified by the risk. Does not matter how well you drive, the best drivers know their limit and I can say with near 100% certainty that your limit is not 26 miles above the speed limit.

    As long as you heed this advice, good luck in court. Otherwise it is best the judge keep your six points, might save your life one day.

    P.S. I dont need anyone to tell me 'you deserve it' 'you shouldnt be going so fast' etc etc- I know. Thanks
    If you know, than why were you going so fast with for a stupid reason?
    Last edited by Lev; 12-07-2006 at 04:30 AM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    475
    the best drivers know their limit and I can say with near 100% certainty that your limit is not 26 miles above the speed limit.
    When there are no other drivers on the road, green lights as far as I can see, and a car that handles extremely well with very good brakes- 26 over would be right where my limit is. I was going 56 mph which I do on a daily basis (on highways), so the example of it being equivalent to going 100 on a highway is completely null and void.

    I understand what you are saying, and I do take what you are saying to heart but I do not believe I was driving dangerously in this situation.
    Course-Notes.Org

    US History US Government and Politics| Note Outlines Vocab
    Euro History Psychology Econonomics | Forum Study Guides

  17. #17
    Damn, that's quite a lot over... probably quite a bit.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by CLKeenan
    Thank you Hekwu for the informative post. I'm good friends with my university's head legal attorney so I plan on dropping him an email and seeing what the best plan of action would be. I already plan on pleading not guilty but I want to see if theres any first time rules (this would apply to me... I've had my license for over 3 years with no violations) or any plea options (I'd be more than happy to do a traffic class than to see an increase in my already expensive insurance).

    -Chris

    Yea, it sucks when people troll a thread...

    Anyway, you should be sure to ask the legal guy/gal about pleading not guilty. Many times you have to pay extra court fees, etc.

    The problem is you are going to be found guilty anyway... no matter if you go judge alone (if possible) or jury. The only possible way (far as I know) is if the ticket has estimated speed. Other than that you were "clocked." Good luck on getting out of that.... it is possible, I guess.

    Do call around to lawyers for advice... even if you speak to someone on campus.... unless they really know what they are talking about. Lawyers are like graphic artist... some are really good, some are ok, and some are really bad.

    Good luck to you....

    **I'm not a lawyer... nor should my post be considered legal advice.... consult an attorney**
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    501
    I was going to write something up about this elsewhere but haven't had the time. Speeding makes no sense when you are within 30 miles of your destination, iirc. People get a false sense of getting somewhere in less time just because they are moving faster. The reality is that the time saved is only a few minutes at the most.

    For example, if you are driving from work to home and the distance is 20 miles on the highway, driving 60 mph it would take you 20 minutes at a steady pace with no stops. Driving 70mph means you would get home 2 minutes and 50 seconds sooner. 80mph is just five minutes quicker.

    But that assumes no stopping. You lose some of that time when you get behind others moving slower than you. And you are risking speeding fines up to $100 or so at the same time. It's just not worth it.

    The only time speeding is worth doing (except for the potential fines you may get) is when you are traveling 150 miles or more. Then you are knocking a half hour off your driving time if you drove 80. I think this is the justification of the Autobahn in Germany.

    Of course, safety becomes a concern when you are going that fast and faster because errors or mechanical failures could causes disastrous results. In any case, doing 50mph to go a few blocks to McDonalds only creates potential losses with no gain.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    34,798
    Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    Damn, that's quite a lot over... probably quite a bit.
    Yeah, nearly 42kms in our language
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Yeah, nearly 42kms in our language
    Looks like we've got some math geniuses on our hands here...
    Course-Notes.Org

    US History US Government and Politics| Note Outlines Vocab
    Euro History Psychology Econonomics | Forum Study Guides

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,377
    How long before it comes to court? I beat a ticket in Toronto when the cop didn't show up for trial 10 months later. If the cop does show though you don't have much hope of winning. In your state are there para-legal/ex-cop services to represent you in traffic court?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    475
    The court date is set for next Friday. I might be able to get a continuance though to delay a little bit.

    Yah there are para-legal services to represent me. I can get free legal representation in traffic court from my school if I request it (which I will). That seems to be the best plan of action right now.

    -Chris
    Course-Notes.Org

    US History US Government and Politics| Note Outlines Vocab
    Euro History Psychology Econonomics | Forum Study Guides

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    729
    In Maryland you can plead guilty with an excuse, obviously you said you have no excuse, so your best bet would be to hope for PBJ (probation before judgement.) if you have a clean record there is a good chance you will get it. Then as long as you don't get another moving violation with in a year the points would be dropped.
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

  25. #25
    First Off,

    "I am not a lawyer (at least not yet) so don't consider this official legal advice."

    In the state of Texas, 25+ mph over is a felony. However, there are many ways to avoid paying/having it go on your record.

    1) Plead Not Guilty and wait for them to set a court date. The day before your date, call the courthouse (from a out of town or hidden number) and tell them you are stuck at a business meeting out of town, and ask for postponement. Do this maybe 2 or 3 times. It will give you a better chance of the cop not showing up.

    2) Deferred Adjudication. That is what it is called in Texas. You basically plead No Contest, you pay the entire price of the ticket, and you are put on "probation" for about 6 months. As long as you don't get another ticket, this one disappears.

    3) Driving School. Same as above but you are on probation for a year. This option is much cheaper however.

    4) Just pay the ticket. Insurance usually won't go up at the first one. I would say that you should ask for reduced points though.

    What ever you decide, plead No Contest (except for the first one). NEVER plead Guilty.

    Again...
    "I am not a lawyer (at least not yet) so don't consider this official legal advice."

    ~Fred

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oneida, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by CLKeenan
    Doing 56 in a 30 (which is a 6 point violation in NY state)... I don't have any valid excuse. Any idea how much this is gonna cost me? It doesnt say on the ticket and I can't find out anything on the website because it says to basically wait and see after you send in your plea.

    Next question; is there any reason to not plea not guilty on the small chance that the officer doesnt show up... you get a kind judge... etc?

    Third question; how bad is this gonna hurt me on my car insurance?

    Final question; whats your best excuse why you were speeding? The reason why I was speeding was mostly because i have 3 finals tomorrow and I needed to get some food fast so I could get back to my studying. Lame excuse but its true.

    Thanks guys
    -Chris

    P.S. I dont need anyone to tell me 'you deserve it' 'you shouldnt be going so fast' etc etc- I know. Thanks
    What county did you get the ticket in?

    My advice: Don't take anyone else's advice.

    Get a lawyer who specializes in speeding tickets and fight this ticket. My friend was going 90 in a 45 and was caught street racing (a misdemeanor). His lawyer got the misdemeanor dropped and the 90 reduced to a 70. It cost him $400 for the lawyer but was well worth it.

    If it's Madison County [which is doubtful] I can refer you to some good lawyers
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,852
    Quote Originally Posted by CLKeenan

    I understand what you are saying, and I do take what you are saying to heart but I do not believe I was driving dangerously in this situation.
    It doesn't make sense that you say:

    P.S. I dont need anyone to tell me 'you deserve it' 'you shouldnt be going so fast' etc etc- I know. Thanks
    So you say you know you deserved it. Then you say it wasn't dangerous and you're trying to get out of it?

    That's why cops and the laws are put into place. To show you that it was dangerous.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Albany, New York
    Posts
    2,988
    Sometimes in court they will reduce it for you.....Also, you can talk to the cop and he will sometimes agree to reduce it for you.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by CLKeenan
    Doing 56 in a 30 (which is a 6 point violation in NY state)... I don't have any valid excuse. Any idea how much this is gonna cost me? It doesnt say on the ticket and I can't find out anything on the website because it says to basically wait and see after you send in your plea.

    Next question; is there any reason to not plea not guilty on the small chance that the officer doesnt show up... you get a kind judge... etc?

    Third question; how bad is this gonna hurt me on my car insurance?

    Final question; whats your best excuse why you were speeding? The reason why I was speeding was mostly because i have 3 finals tomorrow and I needed to get some food fast so I could get back to my studying. Lame excuse but its true.

    Thanks guys
    -Chris

    P.S. I dont need anyone to tell me 'you deserve it' 'you shouldnt be going so fast' etc etc- I know. Thanks

    I don't know NY law, but i'm a law enforcement patrolman in Virginia and could venture a guess for you. VA law is typically more strict..

    Here you would have an opportunity to dismiss the charge with defensive driving school depending on the individual court's policy. Usually you must have a 100% clean five year driving history.

    There is no legitimate excuse for speeding (here in VA it would be a Reckless Driving charge, Class 1 misdemeanor). It's whats known as a "summary" offense. This means that the fact that you were caught doing it is proof of your guilt. There are no mitigating factors that the judge will accept.

    Your best bet is to plead Guilty and answer any questions with "no excuse, your honor" or something similar. If you're really worried you can hire an attorney for around $300 - 800 who can contact the DA and try to work something out for you.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,663
    Quote Originally Posted by CLKeenan
    P.S. I dont need anyone to tell me 'you deserve it' 'you shouldnt be going so fast' etc etc- I know. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLKeenan
    When there are no other drivers on the road, green lights as far as I can see, and a car that handles extremely well with very good brakes- 26 over would be right where my limit is. I was going 56 mph which I do on a daily basis (on highways), so the example of it being equivalent to going 100 on a highway is completely null and void.

    I understand what you are saying, and I do take what you are saying to heart but I do not believe I was driving dangerously in this situation.
    You haven't learned your lesson. This is what the courts should be testing, if you have or you haven't. There is no road on which the speed limit is 30 where you can do 56 and still be safe, such a place simply does not exist. Speed limits are designed to be about ten miles under the "fairly safe" mark, not 26. Highway speed limits are above 30 miles for a reason, the lanes are wide and straight. It is not that your level of control is less, it's that more control is required to stay on a road than a highway, much more in the case of a road with 30 MPH as the speed limit. Hopefully you get all six points, that might teach you a lesson.

    This is worse than drunk driving. At least most of the drunk drivers acknowledge that what they are doing is bad, you think you were fully justified. You are going to wreck your car, injure yourself and possibly injure someone else. And you're still reading this thinking to yourself "troll" and when you crash, you'll still be thinking "troll, he must've made me crash" about the last person who told you the same thing as I just did.
    Last edited by Lev; 12-07-2006 at 03:42 PM.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    138
    I owe $225.00 in tickets. 5 mph over the limit and not signing the 2nd copy of my Vehicle Registration. I showed up, the cop was late, the Judge found him and I got nailed. What can I say... I'm a rebel...
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

  32. #32
    Fight it to the end!

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    138
    I fought it and lost.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Door County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    321
    Never fight these tickets. When I was a kid I had a point in time where I had over $2,000 in tickets at one time. I had over 24 points on my license and was forced to get my restricted driving license for work, man did that suck. I learned never to speed again or do anything else stupid while/before driving. Life is amazing sometimes. That speeding ticket shouldn't make your insurance go up TOO MUCH but you never know...depends on history and age as well.

    Just pay the ticket and get on with your life. Sometimes it sucks because everybody else gets away with it and you don't but unfortunately thats how it is.
    Christian Koehler
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting
    +1.866.5RACKED (ext. 802)

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    946
    Why is this even going to a court date already (or am I missing something)? I guess the US traffic laws are a lot different than in Canada. Simple speeding in Canada wouldn't be considered at all for criminal charges. Of course that is if you pay the ticket or get the ticket dropped by the court because the police officer didn't show up for the court date.

    Anyways I find it odd that you can't just pay the ticket without going to court. And I find it extremely odd that there is no fine amount on the ticket. I suppose that's the United States way of thinking. Lets just tie up the courts more than they are already...

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Door County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by macdonaldp
    Why is this even going to a court date already (or am I missing something)? I guess the US traffic laws are a lot different than in Canada. Simple speeding in Canada wouldn't be considered at all for criminal charges. Of course that is if you pay the ticket or get the ticket dropped by the court because the police officer didn't show up for the court date.

    Anyways I find it odd that you can't just pay the ticket without going to court. And I find it extremely odd that there is no fine amount on the ticket. I suppose that's the United States way of thinking. Lets just tie up the courts more than they are already...
    You don't need to go to court for speeding...hes just talking about the rare chance that if he goes and the police officer doesn't show he will get the ticket dropped.

    As for the fine amount on the ticket...that really is odd. I'd almost think you could debate that right there. I know people have got off MAJOR tickets for a cop not writing the court date down in the heat of the moment. That'd be a real "dickish" move but maybe contact a lawyer?
    Christian Koehler
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting
    +1.866.5RACKED (ext. 802)

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    475
    No, theres no fine on the ticket because its a 'range' and I have to go to court to plead guilty or not guilty.

    However, my school offers free legal representation for traffic court so I have someone talking to the DA for me. He's going to try to get it reduced to a parking ticket but he thinks its much more likely that I'll get a 2 point non-speeding violation instead.
    Course-Notes.Org

    US History US Government and Politics| Note Outlines Vocab
    Euro History Psychology Econonomics | Forum Study Guides

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto Area
    Posts
    21
    I didn't read through all the other posts regarding this thread, maybe I will afterwards.
    Everyone that I know that has ever gotten a speeding ticket, went to court to fight it. Sure some people are going to say what's the point of fighting it if your guilty. My friend was going over 210km on the highway, got pulled over doing 160. He fought the ticket, and the officer never showed up. He was lucky but an idiot for driving that fast.

    Sometimes the officer won't show up and you're lucky.
    I don't know with liscences whether they add points or deduct them. I think they add them.. but that's not the point
    Even if you were speeding with a stupid reason and you fight it, they might lower your fine and reduce the amount of points you recieve.
    What would you really have to lose?
    Web hosting reviews, news & more @ Hostjury

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    no
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by neko
    Sometimes the officer won't show up and you're lucky.
    yes this is a possibility, but if the officer show up, you will lose

    just pay the fine, also if you take same classes or something, they will erase the points

    And if you decide to fight, the court may increase the fine too, i was told they can make you pay some other extra things.

    I had two speding tickets and i paid them. nothing changed still paying the same insurance amount etc.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,342
    Here is something you might want to know:

    * If the police officer doesn't show up twice to the hearing, the ticket is automatically dismissed (couple of times I had it dismissed on first absense, but that was the beginning, after accumulating more tickets, Judges tend to be a bit tougher).

    * If the cop doesn't remember the incident or loses the sheet they write at the time of the ticket, big chance the Judge will dismiss the ticket (if you have a lawyer, its 100% guaranteed).

    Now, if you protest a ticket the first time and show up, chances are you going to lose big time. What I advise you do, is keep delaying the court date.

    E.g.: Mail the ticket as not guilty. After receiving the court date, two days before that date you go and delay it again. Keep doing that until:

    * At a point, after too many delaies, you will need to speak with the judge, easy thing, make an smart excuse and have some kind of proof.

    * At the same point, or at some times without seeing the judge, you will be asked to pay a deposit, around $40. Now, thats a dead end. YOU will need to show up, but make sure you always postpone to the farthest date possible.

    Based on my experience, I was able to postpone the ticket date to no less than a year. Now by that time:

    * The cop is dead
    * The cop doesn't remember anything, or lost the info

    Also based on my experience, I got many tickets dismissed this way.

    Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •