Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Expected Lifespan of WHT

It's apparently obvious that there IS a lifespan to every business, and I feel WHT is no different. How long do you think WHT's expected lifespan is?
    Vintage Host Optimization -- Want security? We've got your security right here.

At least another 30 yrs?
    Roi

Quote Originally Posted by VintageHost
    It's apparently obvious that there IS a lifespan to every business, and I feel WHT is no different. How long do you think WHT's expected lifespan is?
    For as long as hosting exists, and folks still want to talk about it, and advertisers still want to advertise here.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Quote Originally Posted by rois
    At least another 30 yrs?
    Imagine the post counts then of some WHT members.

Imagine the offers forum.

Sites like this don't just up and disappear. It'll be here for quite a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Imagine the post counts then of some WHT members.

Imagine the offers forum.
    For me...I would have probably be around the 20000 mark. And for you Bob...errr you clocked in over 10000 in 4 years so in 30 years time you should have around 70000 post... wohoooo
    Roi

Until hackers succeed at destroying it.

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick

mmm.. I dont think that WHT is running without any backups
    Senior Server Administrator

Yeah, I meant all backups corrupt etc.... WHT to the point of the owners not being bothered to start it up again.

That happens a lot to me.

With 150000 members, I am sure it wouldn't be difficult to find a handful to prevent hackers from destroying this forum.
    Roi

So after Prohacker retires?
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

Let me ask this then: What do you see message boards evolving into? They haven't changed much since their invention...do you think WHT in 30 years will operate the way it does today?

Ooooh, good one VH. That too.

Plus, just because you have a few people experienced with Server Security, doesn't mean some hardcore hackers can't take it down.

to think that forums will even be represented the way they are now, 30 years from now is insane in this industry.

Times change, trends change, fads change. there's no way to estimate a life expectancy on something as volatile as the web. You run with it till it dies and you move off. success is based on who's progressive enough to stay on top of those changes
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Let me ask this then: What do you see message boards evolving into? They haven't changed much since their invention...do you think WHT in 30 years will operate the way it does today?
    The mind boggles.

Probably some virtual reality interactional platform.

Probably some virtual reality interactional platform.
    LOL... I could see the social section around election time, Bear moderating a boxing match between Republicans and Dems!

If you foul or cheat, you get warning points.... Fighters take your corner!!!!

Actually, that would be cool....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I can't wait until you get punch someone over the internet.

I can't wait until you get punch someone over the internet.
    I'm thinking something more like a shooting match... and watch how some of these experts shoot someone in the leg...

Love to see what happens after they miss... or if they do get lucky and hit... what the other person does.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I'd say it will last for a life time. I'd say it's a site that won't shut down unless Inet sells it and the new owners put it to waste or bad management and then lose members etc.

HAHA.. I hope the internet becomes something like what you see on Futurama... where you walk around and surf the web... hehe i like that popup scene
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

until google buys it and merges it with something
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I think WHT will keep evolving to satisfy a need in this venue. WHT will continue to grow as an information source. We'll still be a community based source, but we'll be expanding with wikis and videos and whatever else the times call for. WHT will grow with Web 2.0. And we'll be there for Web 10.0. (not sure after that)
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

For next 3 years and 4 months...
    Primary email: advanced dot programmer at gmail dot com ..

I wonder if a video/voice system would even be feasible? I guess we'd have to wait until bandwidth catches up with people's expectations.

I don't want the internet to be those 3 Dimensional Holographic things, that'd just be boring. There'd be too many geeks thinking the internet is real life.

However I think 3D Holograms for Gaming would be great.

For as long as hosting exists, and folks still want to talk about it, and advertisers still want to advertise here.
    Does your behind hurt from riding the fence? With answers like that, you could be a politician.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

until google buys it and merges it with something
    I highly doubt iNet will let that happen to any of their websites (or would they? ). I wouldn't say that a merger, partnership or buy-out would be the reason for WebHostingTalk closing its doors.

I'm pretty sure that WHT will remain on the web up until web hosting as we know it no longer exists, and no one wants to discuss the business on the internet anymore. I'm sure iNet will keep the site up as long as web servers exist (so they have something to host the website on.) However, the internet is an ever-growing "thing" and it just might become such a large "thing" some day, that iNet can't keep up (that sounds a little weird - it was hard to word what I was trying to say.)

1,209,654 minutes give or take...
    Follow me on Twitter: @talkgamer
    Checkout my new gaming blllaaauugghhh...
    http://www.talkgamer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Techpresence
    I highly doubt iNet will let that happen to any of their websites (or would they? ).
    lol, if Google approached me about buying ANYTHING I'm all ears

I highly doubt iNet will let that happen to any of their websites
    iNet almost sold this forum (or half of it) to its own members a couple of years ago. They have always been a money-hungry company, especially now owned by a private equity firm that wants just one thing - consistent increase in sales. Do you really expect them to say no to Google's cash??
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Quote Originally Posted by Artashes
    iNet almost sold this forum (or half of it) to its own members a couple of years ago. They have always been a money-hungry company, especially now owned by a private equity firm that wants just one thing - consistent increase in sales. Do you really expect them to say no to Google's cash??
    The only reason for me saying that was that iNet would have to put up with a lot of harrasment from their members of the website(s) they were going to be selling. Of course, a company could probobly care less but iNet just doesn't seem like that type of company. I'm trying to say that iNet could sell the site, but they would ensure that the website remained up and just didn't shut down completely.

The only reason for me saying that was that iNet would have to put up with a lot of harrasment from their members of the website(s) they were going to be selling. Of course, a company could probobly care less but iNet just doesn't seem like that type of company. I'm trying to say that iNet could sell the site, but they would ensure that the website remained up and just didn't shut down completely.
    *cough* Recent skyscraper banner episode... *cough*

Techpresence, I respect your opinion which you are fully eligible for, but I completely disagree. I wish I had more time to properly challenge you on every count.

Instead, I will wrap my answer (once again) to this:
    They have always been a money-hungry company, especially now owned by a private equity firm that wants just one thing - consistent increase in sales.

As I just said, they wouldn't sell the website to a company that would completely shut the website down. If I'm not mistaken, I do not believe that the banner ad closed this website .

That's just my $00.2 anyways - everyone has their own opinoin.

If I'm not mistaken, I do not believe that the banner ad closed this website
    No it didn't, but I was referring to how they listened to an abundance of positive feedback...

Haha,

Yeap. My first thoughts were until Google buys it too
    Sean

I hope WHT outlives me!

Quote Originally Posted by Artashes
    Yeah. A company that makes money. Damn them all.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Who knows? We may have 2 GB PM Accounts if Google bought WHT out

I guess it depends just where the Internet goes in 10 years time...

How long is a piece of string? Some business have been going for 100's of years, some for hours.
    zaax

I don't know. I see WHT being around for a very very long time. When I visit a site like this, I don't think that some day it won't be around. It will most definitely evolve as forum technology does but I just can't see it going away for good.
    Mark Blair

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast