Symbolic Link Problems

I'm trying to use a symbolic link to a directory on another site on the same server.

This is what I have done:
    cd into /home/priv1***/public_html/members

then type in:
    ls -s /home/home2***/public_html/members/dvd dvd

It creates the dvd symbolic link looking like this:

But when I try and cd into it I get this error:
    cd: dvd: No such file or directory

I'm thinking there may be permissions problems here as site priv1*** is trying to symbolic link a directory on site home2***

Hope you guys can help me!

What does ls -l show in the directory where you created the symbolic link?

IT sound like its not making the link though your syntax looks correct

Try ls -s /home/home2***/public_html/members/dvd /home/priv1***/public_html/members
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

is'nt the command for creating symbolic links 'ln -s' ???? and not 'ls -s'

The format is "ln -s [TARGET DIRECTORY OR FILE] ./[SHORTCUT]"

ls -l shows

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Dec 6 16:38 dvd -> home/ho*myedit*/public_html/members/dvd/\*

Still looking for a solution! Can anyone tell me why the symbolic link won't work?

It looks like you left off the leading / in your symlink:

ln -s /path/to/real /path/to/fake
    ln -s /path/to/real path/to/fake

Try removing it and recreating it with the full pathname. Failing that, can you maybe post it without censoring the path? Usernames really aren't that sensitive...

Ok i've just done this:

ln -s /home/homemadx/public_html/members/dvd /home/privatec/public_html/members/dvd

It created the symbolic link, and I can cd into the symbolic directory while logged in via ssh as root.

But when I try and view the files via ftp dreamweaver says:

"An FTP error occurred - cannot get remote folder information. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem."

check out whether the origial folder and the symbolic link have the same permissions ..or infact 'required' permissions

Quote Originally Posted by supafly

ln -s /home/homemadx/public_html/members/dvd /home/privatec/public_html/members/dvd

You must be using cpanel and you need to give /home/privatec/public_html/members/dvd complete permissions to all users (which i think is the only way )

But i seriously dont think what you are doing is required and i would just suggest rsyncing the file periodically instead of cross accessing the the files across the websites... as its just too much overhead

I haven't got a clue about these permissions, how do I check permissions?

There are over 60 dvd's in the folder i'm trying to symbolic link. A symbolic link has the big advantage to me of not having to waste lots of hard disk space duplicating the content across accounts.

ls -ld /home/homemadx/public_html/members/dvd will show you the permissions on the original directory. The user needs to have permission to access the files you are linking TO so you might need to create a group and chgrp the files/directory.
    Linux/BSD Systems Administrator