Question Limit of 20A for entire rack - this normal?

Recently visited a datacenter in NYC and we were basically told that if we get a half rack, or a full rack, we'd be limited to 20A with no option of purchasing more power. This is due to cooling requirements obviously, but is this a new norm out there? How do they justify charging for a full rack when you won't be able to utilize it?

BTW - they also offered a half rack with the same 20A and wouldn't sell the space in the rest of the rack, just use it for some of their equipement for testing and whatever.

So buy just half a rack with 20 A power. The next time you need more power, buy another half.

This usually is indication that the datacenter is out of cooling capacity. Which datacenter is this?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Policy is not "unusual" but more "unfortunate". I have some machines that would fill a 20A circuit using only 6U of space.

Now what are you suposed to do with the other 42 U's?

Get some coat hangers and store your summer clothes? I guess you could line it with aluminium foil and get some grow lights, it's probably the perfect growing temperature .
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

30AMPS for level(3) facilities now, used to be 40AMPS per cabinet.
    Larry Ludwig
    Empowering Media
    HostCube - Proactively Managed Xen based VPSes
    Empowering Media - The Dev Null Blog

Quote Originally Posted by PSFServers

Now what are you suposed to do with the other 42 U's?
    spare parts and equipment.
    Larry Ludwig
    Empowering Media
    HostCube - Proactively Managed Xen based VPSes
    Empowering Media - The Dev Null Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MetroAce
    Recently visited a datacenter in NYC and we were basically told that if we get a half rack, or a full rack, we'd be limited to 20A with no option of purchasing more power. This is due to cooling requirements obviously, but is this a new norm out there? How do they justify charging for a full rack when you won't be able to utilize it?

BTW - they also offered a half rack with the same 20A and wouldn't sell the space in the rest of the rack, just use it for some of their equipement for testing and whatever.
    That seems low for a full cabinet, I can understand 40A restrictions on 42U...

Our 8th generation Dell 2Us are fairly power hungry, we usually see about 80% cabinet utilization with 3x20A or 2x30A circuits, fortunately our carrier has had the capacity and resources to meet our power needs.

With lower voltage woodcrests we're going to be trying to reach the 3/4 cabinet usage mark with 40A.

If a facility limited us to 20A per 42U I wouldn't work with them if I had servers to co-locate.
    Thomas Brenneke | Network Redux, LLC | http://www.networkredux.com
    Proud sponsors of the SimpleMachines ImageMagick and AdiumX projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybirdsmith
    40Amps is fairly common, but its not unusual to find data centers that start limiting the power usage to 20 Amps once they've filled up half the facility.
    I guess it would also depend on the facility, I've only worked within carrier provided facilities where there's a higher premium for service levels, yet not as many other customers to share space with.

hehe - you guys need to go to London. Finding a +16amp rack is almost impossible...And it would cost you like 2500 usd or so pr month
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

Quote Originally Posted by eming
    hehe - you guys need to go to London. Finding a +16amp rack is almost impossible...And it would cost you like 2500 usd or so pr month
    I know, we're starting to sound like arrogant power hungry americans

I ran into this issue at Nap of the Americas. Their 3rd floor seems to be reaching capacity and their 4th floor was yet to be open, so they applied a cap on the amount of power we can draw per sq foot.

was ridiculously low for us (worked out to 30 amps per rack). Forced us to go cage hunting elsewhere.
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

I was told not too long ago by Internap that the only way to get 40amps in Seattle was to buy the last 3 cabinets they had. Then I could have 40amps to spread over 3 cabinets. It's cheaper to power up elsewhere and just pay for the cross-connect. These datacenters are going to price themselves out of a market, I smell a hosting collapse.
    Joseph Laws
    President - Hi-Definition Gaming LLC

(http://www.hd-gaming.com)
    Professional Gaming Services For The Professional Gamer

That seems a bit restrictive. Please keep chiming in with examples of this happening. I can rattle off atleast five of our competitors who do not have this issue (including ourselves.)

Quote Originally Posted by eming
    Keep mind that UK power is 208V and we are at 120v so basically 16 amps in the UK = 32 amps here.

As for power density restrictions, these are unfortuante but part of reality. This is why it's neccessary to fully vet your colocation providers before you move in and get everything in a contract.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    was ridiculously low for us (worked out to 30 amps per rack). Forced us to go cage hunting elsewhere.
    30 Amps is the circuit. You can safely draw 80% of it, which is 24 Amps.

BTW, did not you just moved there?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave

We need more more more, space, power, bandwidth......

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    we've been there for 2 years.
    80% is the max they will allow you to draw, they expect you to draw lesser infact.

Quote Originally Posted by Yash-JH
    we've been there for 2 years.
    80% is the max they will allow you to draw, they expect you to draw lesser infact.
    Well there's a very good reason for that. Be conservative and stay closer to 65-70% utilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds
    Keep mind that UK power is 208V and we are at 120v so basically 16 amps in the UK = 32 amps here.

As for power density restrictions, these are unfortuante but part of reality. This is why it's neccessary to fully vet your colocation providers before you move in and get everything in a contract.
    It's actually 230V....

But anyway, P=IV so you are going to see a similar amount of power available in your cabinet. Plenty of London datacentres are limiting power drastically though... GlobalSwitch is [email protected] pre cabinet, period. If you want more power then they say buy extra cabinets.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

I see two types of providers that are restricting power. First, the provider that miscalculated the needs of the facility when they signed a big facility lease and now they cant upgrade power or cooling. Rather than fixing the problem they just restrict the usage. What is going to happen in 2 years at that facility if you are a customer? I rarely see a customer that does not grow in power usage. If this is the case they may tell you that the only solution is to buy multiple cabinets to get multiple circuits.

The second type is the provider that exceeded expectations in the past year and are running in to power restrictions. If they can show that they are upgrading the power and can give you an expectation of when it will be done it may not be as big of a concern. Actually, you should feel good knowing they are not overselling their capabilities.

Like some others have mentioned, we are not having an issue. I think being in a single tenant building gives you an advantage over those in multi-tenant or carrier hotels. We dont have to wait on someone else to upgrade their facility so we can do ours.
    Looking for next opportunity

This type of restriction is becoming more common everyday. It's a combination of cooling issues and the abilities of power companies being able to provision more power for specific locations.

We can do 60 amps 120 AC per cabinet now with no issue. We are also looking at opening new DC space within the next year and we are planning on 80 amps 120 AC per cabinet and cooling to match that.

Between blades and clustering we think new DCs will need to cool and handle these loads.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

My colo provider has a limit of 15A for 42U in Montreal. I'm glad to know these facts before needing to rent such space.