How good is ServInt for VPS?

After three+ years of shared hosting and reseller hosting on shared servers, I want to move to a top-notch VPS.

ServInt was recommended to me for their pro-active service and I had a great experience with their Director of Corporate Development responding to my pre-sales questions.

However, I just wanted to double-check with all you folks here. I want to stay with my next host for at least another 3 years before moving to dedicated. Is ServInt good enough for that?

Thanks in advance,
    Ramdak

Welcome to the WHT!

There are great reviews about ServInt. And PowerVPS on the other hand. Both of them are fantastic services as I used PowerVPS before. Do search the reviews here, you'll find plenty

Jen

Thanks for that! Yeah, I did a google search for the reviews and got all the threads.

Personally I wouldn't read too much into an email from "Director of Corporate Development"

Its just to make you feel good ;-)
    UK SSD VPS without compromise - upto 250k IOPS !
    www.clustered.net

Quote Originally Posted by reiteration
    Personally I wouldn't read too much into an email from "Director of Corporate Development"

Actually, that is really him, although on the website his title is much longer (poor guy! ) Like me, he occasionally responds to presales inquiries. Helps him keep a good pulse on what potential customers are looking for and what they expect from us as a company.
    ServInt
    Providing Managed VPS for over 11 years
    Managed Dedicated Servers for almost 19 years!
    http://www.servint.net

I would highly reccomend them, been with them for nearly 3 years now and theyre amazing. Best company I have dealt with by far in 6-7 years.
    Oh and yes there are no ivory towers, the guys at the top do reply to posts in the forum and emails. Its very easy to speak with them should you need to. I remember just after I signed up I wrote an email about setup times and it was Reed that replied. The Noc team are also excellent and very quick to respond.
    --
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by reiteration

Having been a ServInt VPS customer for 2.5+ years, I think that the "Director of Corporate Development", the staff at the ServInt NOC, the people in billing & accounts, and lastly (but not leastly) the boss, collectively do a damn fine job!

Perhaps VPS hosting could be better, but I can't imagine how.

(And yes, the pages linked in my sig are proudly hosted at ServInt.)
    Last edited by sleddog; 12-07-2006 at 06:13 PM.

I was with Servint for almost exactly 3 years until I no longer needed the VPS account with them. Responsive support, great service, and very approachable. Highly recommend; top notch in my experience.

Thanks everyone!

Great to hear from all of you folks. Thanks for taking the time. It has only confirmed what I have heard and read about them.

I am signing up for Essential, their basic plan, which is all I can afford now.

I have the essential plan (with a few extra gb of space added at a later date) and its great. Never had an issue with the load.
    Servint truly deserve their excellent reputation. See you in the forums there!
    --
    Rich

ServInt is the best company that I have dealt with in my life so far.

I've had an Essential vps at ServInt for almost 2 years and I am continually impressed with the service provided. I had a trouble ticket at 2am and it was handled with a minimum of fuss and bother. I'm very happy with ServInt ... one of my better decisions

/S

The company is serious and the reputation stellar... but they do cap all their VPS for resource usage, as the founder 'Bob Farmer' has admitted here. And you can see this reflected on the VPS performance thread, they are at the bottom of the results. So it's a great company if you use VPS for a static page or some light stuff, if you have to run forums or dynamic pages there are much better options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripto
    The company is serious and the reputation stellar... but they do cap all their VPS for resource usage, as the founder 'Bob Farmer' has admitted here. And you can see this reflected on the VPS performance thread, they are at the bottom of the results. So it's a great company if you use VPS for a static page or some light stuff, if you have to run forums or dynamic pages there are much better options out there.
    It's odd that after 2.5 years with ServInt, the only people I've seen complain about this are non-customers.

I run many php/mysql sites on a ServInt VPS, as do many, many other customers. And they run fast.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog
    I run many php/mysql sites on a ServInt VPS, as do many, many other customers. And they run fast.
    Thanks for that as virtually all my stuff will be heavily based on PHP/MySQL.

What you say about us limiting is true, and we still do. However, much has changed since then, as can be seen here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...&postcount=456

The sole objective of the proprietary implementation we use for this is to prevent any one VPS from monopolizing the resources of a host machine, and we are successful with this. Despite the score I linked above, I'm still not a fan of UNIXBench results as a way to measure providers against one another. There are many factors behind a score, and in the end, trying to choose a provider by a UNIXBench score is like trying to answer the ancient question, "How many domains can I host on this account??"
    ServInt
    Providing Managed VPS for over 11 years
    Managed Dedicated Servers for almost 19 years!
    http://www.servint.net

The caps only come into play when someone's abusing a server, I run some SMF forums and database/PHP website applications and my customers have never complained about performance. They've never complained about reliability either, and if my customers are happy, then I'm happy.

I know little about this, but caps sound kinda good to me if they keep other customers on the VPS from hogging the resources that are shared.

My experience has been that VPS's are sold on the theory that you own your own little independent server, but when problems arise, you hear the same old reply, "other customers were causing problems".

Servint, is this the problem you are trying to solve with caps? If yes, does it actually work? Can you promise me that other customers will have NO effect on the performance of my section of the machine?

Many thanks for this thread, helpful.

Can you promise me that other customers will have NO effect on the performance of my section of the machine?
    I don't think any company can "promise" you this, cap or no cap. The cap is obviously intended to address such a problem, but I don't think it's a complete solution IMHO.

I have been a ServInt customer for about 1.5 years and have had nothing but a positive experience. Their customer support is always very responsive, and their datacenter (which they own, not rent) is very reliable.
    Steve - Web Applications Developer
    http://www.sdwebsystems.com

What does 'cap' mean?

ServInt provides a great service, I have never had any issues with their service or support

I was with Servint for well over a year, and thought they had exceptional customer support. Never had any downtime, and never noticed any speed problems. All of my sites were database-driven. I would definitely recommend them.

I'm pretty impressed with their VPS line, and how seemlessly you can migrate step by step from a cheap VPS all the way up to dedicated.

I thought it was a pretty smart presentation because it really takes the worry out of picking the right box. Try the cheap one, if it doesn't work, call'em and tell'em to bump you up.

All the VPS hosts have this ability more or less, but I thought Servint is doing the best job of packaging and presenting it, of the hosts I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by b3b3
    What does 'cap' mean?
    can somebody answer this please.

A "cap" is a limit, as in allowed capacity to utilize a resource.

I have two websites hosted at both ServInt and KnownHost, and ServInt is consistently faster, though not to a huge degree (they're both great). So clearly that suite of benchmarks people were running is worthless.

If you missed it, here is one website which has speed stats printed on the bottom of the page:
    http://devimg.net (ServInt)
    http://72.249.29.19/~devimg/ (KnownHost)

This is my other website, but it's harder to notice a difference on this one, particularly since both hosts are so fast anyway:
    http://pixplot.com (ServInt)
    http://72.249.29.20 (KnownHost)

I hosted with Servint for 1 year and I just have good things to say about them. I only left because of the price. It's a fair price, but in that time I didn't need something so good.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!