Hosting our own domain names

Hi,

Our company currently has racks in the following datacentres for hosting our online application.
    • Goswell Road (London)
    • 111 8th Ave (New York)
    • IXEurope (Geneva)
    • Gold Coast (Australia)
    Currently we use a company located here in the UK to host/manage our DNS records and perform updates to them however we are getting increasingly annoyed with said company as they do not have any online control panel for managing DNS updates and all updates have to be sent in by email!

This means that important updates can sometimes be overlooked as they "didn't notice the email"!

As we now have colo space around the world I would like to look into placing a nameserver in each location to host our domain names. We use debian linux throughout the company and I have a tiny bit of previous experience with BIND but really have no idea where to start!

Could somebody on here help me out and summarize the important points on creating a setup like this, the caveats and the things to look out for?

Another question I have no idea about is once this is all setup, how long would it take to transfer our domain names across from our existing supplier to our own servers as we must keep downtime to a minimum.

Thanks in advance!

I am assuming this said company is also the one you purchased your domains from? If so, you can always move your domains away to companies like godaddy that do provide online control panel which will allow you to change your DNS info. Or setup your own DNS server.

But whichever route you decide to take, the propagation of the domain names can take anywhere from minutes to about 72 hours.
    Roi

Quote Originally Posted by rois
    But whichever route you decide to take, the propagation of the domain names can take anywhere from minutes to about 72 hours.
    Agreed. Even though propagation is a bit quicker for .com domain names lately, it
    can still take long because computers throughout the 'net "catch on" at their own
    pace.

There are at least 2 ways to possibly cut downtime lower:

1. Recreate those DNS settings in your new servers. As in recreate the A-records,
    MX records, etc.

2. If those domain names are using your own "personal" nameservers (those of
    your domain names instead of your provider's), then change their IP addresses to
    those of your new servers. That way you won't have to switch nameservers from
    one set to another.

But if you really have to change the domain names' current DNS to another set,
    expect downtime up to 48 or even 72 hours nonetheless.

Get as much info as necessary, plan ahead, and stick to it.

Good luck!