Advice on web hosts..

I'm in the process of creating a free(as well as paid) image and file hosting service, and have been looking for a host that could possibly meet my needs while I'm working on the site.

I'm looking for something pretty small at first, but with lots of plans to upgrade too as the site grows(if it does).

My main concern is bandwidth and space, as well as what types of files are allowed on the server. I know some hosts don't allow .mp3's, .exe's etc. While I'm sure I'll be hard at work policing files for content, it would be nice not to have a host that will shut you down, or suspend you right way but at least notify you of questionable material.

It would also probably be somewhat important of the content that would be allowed(such as "adult" photos etc). I mean you never know what some people put on imageshack and other like sites.

While sure it would be ideal to get my own server right away, the money tree out back isn't quite producing the greens that I would like it too at the moment. I guess we all need to start small if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions regarding web hosts that are reputable, yet are flexible regarding file types and tight on security?

Thanks!
    Dana

Unfortunately, for file hosting I think that a dedicated is going to be the only way to go, you know, people tend to abuse of that, and upload warez, copyrighted material and a lot of stuff like that, on a moderated busy file hosting, your host will have to be after your site the whole day checking what controversial material has been uploaded, and I don't how many are willing to do it, also, don't know how many "strikes" your site may stand after get uploaded too many illegal contents.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Dear Dajo77,

I would have to say the idea of starting out small is a very good idea. I would suggest that you start out with a shared hosting package and then begin to work your way up.

You may want to look through the web hosting offers section of WHT, to see what might best fit your needs. I also have found that sites like webhostingstuff.com offer reviews and uptimes for web hosting companies. So that may be one way to find out which host may best fit your needs.

Also, the idea that you may have content on your site that may be questionable on many hosts may make this a little bit more difficult of a task.

Do you have a particular price range that you are looking for?
    Do you have a particlar location in mind?

Lane

Thanks for the replies!

I'm willing to start out at up to $30/month. As for location, anywhere US preferred, but if I get good speed else where.. I'm open for that.

I have been browsing, and seen some pretty nice hosting packages, I'm just unsure on how "flexible" a host would be with this type of site, I'm mainly worried about having to jump from host to host I guess.

You may want to contact to their sales department before to signup.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I would carefully read through any perspective host's Term of Service throughly before you decide to host your site with them. Some host are very strict, where as others are more lenient. Ask them specific questions if there is something that you don't understand before you decide to sign on the dotted line with them.
    Plutomic Hosting
    Empowering Your Web Ventures
    In Business Since 2005
    Specializing in Web Hosting, VPS, Managed Dedicated Servers and Managed Colocation

file hosting sites dont have much of a problem if they have well defined TOS.ppl can upload what they want under your nose but if u get abuse report for some file just delete it.
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com